Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Boot's New Motor

(Read 540 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Boots, have you had a chance to start the break in of your new motor or are you still sitting in the boat room waxing your boat?

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
Still in break end, running same Fury 24 4.  The hole shoot is much better, mid range is better.  I have not really busted in good yet but few quick run up the top in is going to be about the same as the 250 opti ;D I got about 3 1/2 hours on it an can only WOT short burst.  I think it was a good move to upgrade while my Opti still had a year warrant on it for trade value. It was a perfect motor no real problems other than the same old stuff about all Mercury outboard had, One High pressure diafram, leaking oil jug on motor.  They got a bad batch of both from there supplier. ~b~ All that was normal wear and tear ~b~ ~b~ ~b~ so you know who paid lo lo Leaving shortly to go get some more of those top water fish here on Norman.

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
Well got the early few hours done so I can WOT for 5 mins or less.  Same boat, same Fury 24-4 the top end speed is about the same heavy tournament load 67-68.5 with two men, 3/4 tank of fuel. The real diff. is the hole shot. It's awsome!! Drop hammer and a 3 1000 count it's broke over and gone.  Mid range is better than Pro XS 250.  The real deal is hole shot.  RPM with 24-4 is 5900- to 6100.  Ref limiter is 62. Most likely have to drop back to a 24-3 in winter for cold water and air or just not get on it as hard. I don't go for the top end much anymore. Looking for ride and handling. Thats where 4 blade comes, no Yaw or side to side in ruff water.  Only diff in set up is same boat, same props, New V8 four stroke and went from 8" Slidemaster to 10" Atlas Hydo jack, did install a hole shot plate of jack.  It's a good set up. Gas mileage is not really know due to first two hours of so it was bow down, jack down and really plowing no more than 4500 except very short burst WOT.  With that it's running about 3.5 miles per gallon.  The two stroke was at 4.5 norman use if you did not get on it really hard.  I feel sure the four stoke will do that or hopefully a little better with normal use.  8) Going to reset Smart gauge to check mileage with normal us. Will report after about 20 gallons, which take me a while
Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:39:50 AM by Rangerman

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
When the crazies leave the lake will get out during the week and bust the New Mercury's nuts. lo Up to almost 10 hours after returning form LSC which was a good trip.  No way to WOT with lake conditions. lo
Love the 4 stoke, better whole shot, better bid range, top end about the same with the same boat and same load still running the same Fury 24-4 but have not tried the 24 Fury 3 yet.  for the record the 24-4 runs better due to increased rpms. Yes faster due to old school thinking.  Will try Fury 24-3 in the next few weeks, The Fury 24 3 or 4 is the prop for a Ranger Z520-C  with heavy load.  The Fury 23 is std from factory and may work great.  Looking forward to testing one.  Thinking it will improve whole shot but turn too many R's even on a heavy load with a boat dialed in.  I do mean Heavy Load. lo

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
Tried a Fury 23 -3 and too hot lo lo Even warm water got against the Rev limier too quick with my heavy load.  The Fury 23-3 may be OK for a Jelly Bean Ranger Owner with No Seat Time in the 520-521 class owner.  The Fury 24-3 or 24 -4 is the prop ~c~ ~c~ For the two stroke or the four stroke.  Put that in the bank!! Very light load maybe a 25  Fury but don't think so.  Only on a Allison, Bullet or one to the very fast boats, light hull and No Load. Guys I carry a Load and the 24 is the right pitch on a heavy boat with good ride like a Ranger. 8) 8) For the record the Rev Limiter is 62 on Merc 4 stroke and 61 on two stoke.  If a Mercury will not turn 6K it's broke  lo lo
Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:50:46 PM by Rangerman

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB