Testing Some New FC Lines

Started by FlatsNBay, June 14, 2020, 10:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Have you read the different line Reviews online? It doesn't matter which line, reviews are all over the place. Some say the particular line is the best ever and others say it's the worse. It's crazy.

That brings me to my post. I'm going to be testing a few fluorocarbon lines since it's been a while since I've tried anything else but Seaguar. I've been a huge Red Label fan for years and loved the line up until this year. I've had quite a few break offs no matter which lb. test I was using. I'm a stickler for tying good knots without burning the line and actually had several break offs mid spool on the cast.

I'm going to be testing several lines in the near future. My only stipulation is that the line be rather affordable. If I can catch it on a sale, great! I plan on testing K9 since they are a site  sponsor and I also just bought some Yo-Zuri Top Knot and Trilene 100 %.

Any reviews from you all about any of those mentioned?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

loomisguy

I've fished most flouro's but not the Yo Zuri. I like the K9 and I use the standard for moving baits and the better grade for bottom contact and it's good stuff. I used to fish nothing but Trilene 100% green for years and never really had any issues but along came invisx and sniper ect. and i never went back to the Trilene.
  I use Tatsu alot. I can usually get a discount and I don't think there's a better line on the market.
It's pricey but I can get a year or longer out of it so it kinda evens out.

FlatsNBay

Thanks Loomis. I will look for Tiatsu to go on sale.

fishballer06

Sunline Sniper and PLine Tactical are my go-to fluoro's.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

big g

I use Trilene 100% all the time for plastic, and have for years.  I use 15 pound under most applications.  I have had little problems but always check to make sure the spool is tight before reeling in line.  It's a habit now and do it automatically.  You don't want any slack on the spool, if so you will get kinks and weak points.  It lasts a long time. very sensitive, and abrasion resistant.  Would not switch to something else.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: big g on June 16, 2020, 01:55:02 PM
I use Trilene 100% all the time for plastic, and have for years.  I use 15 pound under most applications.  I have had little problems but always check to make sure the spool is tight before reeling in line.  It's a habit now and do it automatically.  You don't want any slack on the spool, if so you will get kinks and weak points.  It lasts a long time. very sensitive, and abrasion resistant.  Would not switch to something else.
That's what I used when I fiahed flouro. Liked it just fine. I'm gonna try a couple of different brands soon but I don't really expect to go back to using flouro so it's all just for comparison and experimental purposes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

geneinnc

I have tried most all and FC Sniper is the best.
I'll be honest with this one. Yo-Zuri hybrid works better than a lot of 100% fluorocarbon lines. 600 yards for $10 let's you change it more often. Ill run Sniper only in tournaments but for the money I'm using Yo-Zuri when I'm scouting or playing with different presentations. I'm running 3 identical QUANTUM Vapor reels on KVD Medium rods with KVD 1.5 squarebills the rest of the year for a test.
I'm going to use the above lines and the cheapest 100% fluorocarbon I can find, probably Stren or I might even run mono against as the 3rd option.

I'll let you guys know the results.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

GermanKnight

I've tried doing line testing. You can just call me the knot head... I'm real nerdy in tackle but I am suppppper nerdy when it comes to line testing. I broke my scale I have a new one in the mail.

Me being so into knots and knot strength, line strength, and real world testing I do it for myself anyway. Typically I'll release my findings on Facebook but I haven't in a while because I got salty. 30 people kept asking me to test but no one wanted to go in on line. I already know what works for me and how to test spools but it's a good practice to have members vote on 4 braid 4 fluorocarbon and 4 mono and keep testing to find any variance or change up. That way when someone asks what line to use we just shoot em to the thread. But I digress.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Denali custom rods.

chrisD46

I'm still using Seaguar InvizX and Sunline Sniper FC lines as I believe they are good all - around FC lines for the money .

GermanKnight

Quote from: chrisD46 on June 29, 2020, 07:46:11 AM
I'm still using Seaguar InvizX and Sunline Sniper FC lines as I believe they are good all - around FC lines for the money .
I agree. Seagar and sunline are the bomb. Shooter is getting harder and harder to come by so Ill probably go with sniper or super. Super is really good.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Denali custom rods.

Oldfart9999

The only thing I use a leader on is dropshot, I quit using a swivel and the leader material I use is Vanish, no problems, as with any mono or flouro it needs to be retied every so often, even braid does.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Tatsu Dave

Tried some different makes and size FC's and stopped when I hit Tatsu by Seaguar. This stuff lasts a season and stays nice and tangle/coil free with occasional applications of KVD line conditioner. Tried other brands of conditioner as well, hate the greasy stuff like reelsnot. KVD dries hard and when shot on the guides adds some casting distance for a while. Never had a clinch knot slip with Tatsu and use 10-12# for spinning use. I'm convinced its as near invisible as any line you can buy, even in super clear water.

loomisguy

I like Tatsu also but I've never seen the need for any kind of conditioner or spray.
If I paid the premium that Tatsu cost and had to spray it I'd use Sniper or Invisx.

Tatsu Dave

Well... I use line conditioner for a variety of reasons, it keeps line supple - prevents wind knots and coming off the spool in coils - adds distance to casting - and lubes the bale and line roller. I use it when I use mono and braid as well, heck cost equals a couple lures, it lasts me a season for $9.95. I wouldn't use a lesser FC either, my time fishing is priceless and I tried a few others, its like a lot of things in life...you truly get what you pay for. I fish it a season, we log about 35-40 outings a year.

Its just how it works for me :) 

loomisguy

Sounds like your using a spinning rod...

FlatsNBay

First up is Yo-Zuri Top Knot 100% Fluorocarbon. It's extremely reasonable for about $10-$12 for 200 yards. I'm testing 12 lb. on my crankbait rod for squarebills, shallow divers and mid to deep divers. First look, It is noticably thinner than the Seaguar Red Label that I've been using. It wasn't too stiff for my taste and wound on the reel just fine. Casting was on par with the Red Label and I haven't yet had any line management issues or backlashes. I've caught several decent fish on it with no break offs yet. I also didn't notice any issues with it fraying too easily. So far so good. I'm going to run it through the paces to see it's capabilities and weak points.

Tatsu Dave

Quote from: loomisguy on July 29, 2020, 05:09:23 AM
Sounds like your using a spinning rod...

Yes mostly spinning set-ups

caddyjoe77

K9 to me so far is the best out there.  better than Sniper IMO and the Invisx. 

Have not tried Tatsu yet but i will eventually after i burn through all my K9. 
BeerMe

FlatsNBay

Well I've put the Yo-Zuri Top Knot 100% through its paces and gave it a pretty good work out. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked it. I used 12lb. on my crankbait rod for squarebills, deep divers and lipless crankbaits. The line handled well and was very manageable. I had no issues with stiffness or it coiling. Casting distance was good and I didn't notice any change from the other lines that I've used. As far as toughness, I was able to catch a bunch of fish on the line and had no problems with break offs or excessive fraying. I boat flipped quite a few fish with no problem. I couldn't test the sensitivity as I was using a composite crankbait rod. I wonder how it would perform for worm fishing or other bottom contact baits?

So far YoZuri Top Knot is a good consideration for an economical 100 % fluorocarbon for people that don't want to break the bank.

FlatsNBay

Next up, Trilene 100 %. I just spooled up 2 reels. I'll post my thoughts after.

I'll probably be testing K9 after and then maybe Suffix. It just takes me a while to go through line to test.

BarryFL

Quote from: FlatsNBay on October 13, 2020, 02:42:05 PM
Well I've put the Yo-Zuri Top Knot 100% through its paces and gave it a pretty good work out. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked it. I used 12lb. on my crankbait rod for squarebills, deep divers and lipless crankbaits. The line handled well and was very manageable. I had no issues with stiffness or it coiling. Casting distance was good and I didn't notice any change from the other lines that I've used. As far as toughness, I was able to catch a bunch of fish on the line and had no problems with break offs or excessive fraying. I boat flipped quite a few fish with no problem. I couldn't test the sensitivity as I was using a composite crankbait rod. I wonder how it would perform for worm fishing or other bottom contact baits?

So far YoZuri Top Knot is a good consideration for an economical 100 % fluorocarbon for people that don't want to break the bank.

I love the Yozuri pink flouro leader but Top Knot main line I didn't like at all. I use Yozuri hybrid for deep cranking and like it as well.

~Barry~

~Barry~

FlatsNBay

With RED label, I had 3 break offs in one trip including losing a giant.

I've been testing Trilene 100% on my crankbait rod and love it so far as well as a leader line on my finesse outfit. I need to get some higher pound test for my worm rod to test. I'll post up a review after.