I Wanna Buy Something

Started by Bud Kennedy, August 09, 2020, 11:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 13, 2020, 08:13:06 AM
There are some things one man should never ask another man Jim....

Couldn't help myself and no one else was going to ask.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 13, 2020, 08:27:14 AM

Jim, a bit of the same ol problem.  There seems to be a leak that causes the motor to lose its prime if it has not been run in a few days.  This means that the motor won't develop enough RPMs to get on plane.  When this happens the motor only can develop 3100 rpms and then all of a sudden it takes off and things are just fine for the rest of the day.  Feels a bit like when a supercharger kicks on.  Upon examination it appears that there is some leakage (small amount) that collects in the motor cowling.  I pulled off the air cleaner and it too has some of the same fluid.  It appears to be fuel mixed with oil.  So, something is going on that allows the prime to go away and seems to fuel starve the motor.  Could be carb problems or it could be fuel pump.  Kinda hard to tell for sure.  All of this stuff had been serviced and rebuilt during the last service efforts.  I just hope the true culprit can be identified and fixed.

That collection of mix in the cowling is fairly common in those motors. Every 2-stroke I've ever owned has done that. When the motor is trimmed up, it comes from the carbs and airbox then collects in the lower cowling.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club