Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Latest Jig Making.

(Read 782 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

bigjim5589

I sat down and played with some new jig skirts the other day. I had also bought some new powder paint in a dark purple. These are what I came up with.

The first jig, a 3/8 oz. Arky style head without a skirt, has a 5/0 Mustad Ultra Point in it, and is powder painted orange with some greenpumpkin. I was experimenting with powder paints in two colors.

The other Arky heads are 1/2 oz., one painted purple, the other greenpumpkin, and molded with a Trokar 4/0 hook.  They're dressed with skirts that are purple & greenpumpkin.

The Brush jig is 3/8 oz., painted watermelon, and has a Mustad Ultra Point in 5/0. The skirt is blue with watermelon tips.

All the skirts are tied on, and have some glitter in them.  :)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns Rods When fishing is more than just a hobby
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
Looks good Big Jim.

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
Very nice work as always Jim. Are you gluing the weed-guards in after pouring the lead and powder coating?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

bigjim5589

Very nice work as always Jim. Are you gluing the weed-guards in after pouring the lead and powder coating?

Thanks Steve! Yes,  I pour, then powder paint, and use teflon pins to keep the holes clear of the powder. Then epoxy the weed guards in place after I tie on the skirts if I'm adding a skirt. That way the weed guard is not damaged by the heat from pouring or the painting, and not in my way while tying the skirts.  :)

I also have silicone caps, and teflon tape that I use to keep the hook eyes clean while painting. Although some jigs, like the brush jig with the eye recessed in the lead, it's not possible to cover the hook eye, so they get painted. I stick pieces of round, wood toothpicks in the eye to keep them open, and remove them before curing the paint.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders
Nice looking jigs. I could catch bass on all those.  :) ;D

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Very nice work as usual Jim!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.