New Spinning Reel - Suggestions?

Started by philm63, September 24, 2020, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

Just getting back into fishing after a long break, and I'm having a new 6 1/2 ft spinning rod built - would like to get back into catching some decent sized bass. I plan on going with 10 Lb mono. My 4 1/2 ft ultralight spinning setup uses an old Shimano (don't know the model off hand) in a 2000 size with 4 Lb mono. It seems ok for the smaller rods but going up to 6' or better, I feel like I should move to something with a little more line capacity and spool width to get better distance.

Suggestions for a new spinning reel in the $150-$200 range - I like light weight but will sacrifice a little weight for better bearings or a smoother gear section. Looking already at the Shimano Stradic CI4 but will entertain ideas on other reels. Probably looking for a 2500 or 3000 - if cost and weight are equal, I'd opt for the larger spool.

jwkelley51

I see you didn't get any replies? I'm going to try a couple of Shimano nasci in 3000 size. I have not been impressed with the reels that are smaller than 3000 size. Maybe I just got cheap reels but it seems like the line doesn't handle as well and I can cast them better. Nasci reels are actually ugly (garish may be the term) but they have good reviews.

kdubracing

$150-200 is a lot more than I have invested in any of my spinning reels. But, I do have a couple of the Daiwa LT reels and love them. I use them for finesse (dropshot, wacky rig, Ned) but have caught some decent ones on them. They are nice and light and perform well.

Bassinkorea

As this thread is several weeks old, did you already purchase the new reel?

For me, you can't go wrong with a Shimano spinning reel. I have three Shimano reels, 1) Twin Power, 2) Biomaster and 3) Nasci and all of them perform as they should for their price point. The Twin Power being the highest priced of my three is awesome. It handles 5 and 6 pounders easily. I have caught a bunch of them on 6lb line due to it having a great drag.

I know it's a bit above your price range  :surrender:
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Pferox

I would suggest a Penn Battle 3000 or Spinfisher 3500, They are bullet proof, and you can pass it on to somebody, they last that long.

I have bigger reels for heavier salt water fishing, but do have a couple 3500s for inshore, and they have brought in some very large fish on light line, they have great drags and require minimal maintenance, less so when in fresh water.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

toddallen

I have had great luck with the pflueger Presidents and @ $45 it's a no brainer for me.  ~cf

philm63

Yeah, I did finally settle on the Shimano Stradic CI4+ in the 3000 size - incredibly light, spins so easily, and attached to my new 6.5' custom rod it balances very well. I spooled it up with 20 Lb Power Pro in Hi-Vis Yellow on a 10 Lb mono backer. I'll have to post pix as the custom rod is a beauty and this reel is definitely icing on that cake.

Bassinkorea

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing the  ;PHO) ;PHO)

Esox obsessed

apenland01

Nice choice on the Shimano Stradic!  I don't have any of those, but just got my Daiwa Ballistic LT 4000 reels from Monster Fishing Tackle.  I had to upgrade because the 2500XH were too small for what I wanted to do.  I converted the 2500 to drop shot reels because they won't tolerate anything more than 6 pound pure fluoro.

I'm stringing the new 4000's with K9 fluoro blend 12 and 14 pound to use for my fluke and moving baits rods.

Enjoy the new reel!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: apenland01 on November 01, 2020, 02:59:57 PM
Nice choice on the Shimano Stradic!  I don't have any of those, but just got my Daiwa Ballistic LT 4000 reels from Monster Fishing Tackle.  I had to upgrade because the 2500XH were too small for what I wanted to do.  I converted the 2500 to drop shot reels because they won't tolerate anything more than 6 pound pure fluoro.

I'm stringing the new 4000's with K9 fluoro blend 12 and 14 pound to use for my fluke and moving baits rods.

Enjoy the new reel!

Sorry to go a bit off-topic for a second. I have some of the 14 pound K9 flouro blend but won't get to fish it until next spring. I'd be interested in your impressions of the line when you get a chance. Maybe in a separate thread so as not to take this one to far off-topic.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

Congratulations on the new reel, want to hear all about it!
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 01, 2020, 03:33:49 PM
Sorry to go a bit off-topic for a second. I have some of the 14 pound K9 flouro blend but won't get to fish it until next spring. I'd be interested in your impressions of the line when you get a chance. Maybe in a separate thread so as not to take this one to far off-topic.

K-9 has been awesome so far
BeerMe

apenland01

I agree, K9 has been awesome line for me as well.  I've been using it for over a year now and really like it.

philm63

Here is the CI4+ on my new custom rod. I gotta say; this is by far the smoothest reel I have ever used. Always liked Shimano, and they continue to impress. And it's incredibly light, too! Pairs nicely with my new rod, also. Whole thing is just so light and easy to fish.

Capt. BassinLou

Very nice setup. I enjoy my Stradic as well. Congrats and enjoy!!

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

Bassinkorea

1ReelFanatik

I love blue!  Very nice.  How about a review of the two?