Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Stratos out on Stillhouse Lake (Lampasas River) 26 Sep 2020

(Read 407 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Donald Garner

• UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Greetings to everyone,

My son visiting from Anchorage, Alaska and I made day trip over to Stillhouse Lake (Lower Lampasas River) yesterday.  The forecasted temps for the day were 64-88dgrs with winds from the South 6 - 20mph gusts.  We had partly cloudy skies at the house but fog was covering the lake.  With that we didn't get launched till 8:30am.  By noon the skies started clearing and it turned into a beautiful day bright sunny day.   

Our trip lasted from 8:30am - 5pm we caught (6) bass with the (4) largest weighting 12lbs 10oz.
The lake conditions varied depending on your location from being clear to stained.  Water temps ranged 76 - 78dgrs again depending on your location.  We launched out of Dana Peak Park and made a short run to Cedar Gap landing.  We dropped the trolling motor and fished the hydrilla line down the rocky, brush laydown bank line. 

Our first short fish came from flipping a Texas Rigged Sweet Beaver down the hydrilla line.  There was a 3hr gap between our first and 2nd fish.  We'd had stopped for lunch and retied some baits.  We talked with a kayak fisherman briefly as he paddle past us.  He had some success on catching some up in the river on a White Swim Jig.  We got the lunch trashed picked up I dug into the rod box and found a Strike King Sexy Shad Swim Jig tied on.
Strike King 3/8oz Sexy Shad Swim Jig with white grub trailer

My son's 2nd cast he boated our 2nd bass of the trip.
Dwayne's first Lampasas River Largemouth Bass

We had fished for another hour or so with out a strike. With the river being up we got to fish some areas I've never had access too before.  The area looked great with standing timber and flooded bushes.  The last area we fished is an area I called the Lampasas River Cut.

Below are some pictures of the area.  We made (2) passes around this area.   
Pictures of the location we caught our (4) biggest bass.   
Lampasas River Looking West

Entrance into the cut

Location where biggest bass caught

Looking South through the Cut

As mentioned above we made (2) passes around this area near the entrance.  We used (2) baits to catch our (4) biggest bass.
Texas rigged 10in Culprit Shad Ribbon Tailed Worm and Texas Rigged Reaction Innovation Sweet Beaver.
Culprit Ribbon Tailed Worm 

Texas Rigged Sweet Beaver

Our (4) largest bass weigh

Dwayne with our fish

Our big bass of the catch

The (4) largest bass were all caught in 4.5ft of water (See Screen Shot below).
Screen Shot of Lampasas River Cut

Tackle used to catch our fish during this trip
Willowleaf Bleeding Shad Spinner Bait setup; Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast Tip Casting Rod; Reel> ABU Garcia REVO S low profile baitcasting reel; Line> Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Bait> Academy 3/8 oz Wahoo Modified Willowleaf Spinnerbait

Swim Jig Setup: Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast Tip Casting Rod; Reel> ABU Garcia REVO S low profile baitcasting reel; Line> Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Bait> Strike King 3/8oz Sexy Shad Swim Jig with White Grub Curly Tail Trailer

Texas Rigged Worm Setup; Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast Tip Casting Rod; Reel> ABU Garcia REVO S low profile baitcasting reel; Line> Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Bait> Culprit 10in Shad colored Ribbon Tailed worm; Worm Sinker> 3/8oz Picasso Pro-Metal Red weigh; Hook> BPS EWG 5/0 Worm hook

Texas Rigged Sweet Beaver Setup; Rod> Lee Smith Custom Rod (LSCR) 7ft (MH) Fast Tip Casting Rod; Reel> ABU Garcia REVO SX low profile baitcasting reel; Line> Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Bait> Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver 4.20 Bloody Mary; Worm sinker>3/8oz Picasso Pro-Metal Camo weigh; Hook> Trokar 4/0 Flippin Hook

Boat fished from
2004 Stratos 285 PRO XL Dual Console w/ Yamaha 150 VMax; Trolling motor> MinnKota foot control 80lb Fortrex; Electronics > Lowrance Hook 7 on Bow and Console

It was a great day spent with my son on the waters.

To check out more about Stillhouse Hollow Lake just click on the link below.
Stillhouse Hollow Lake
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

FD

• Life Member
That's the most detailed and interesting report I have ever read.

Glad you caught some fish but that really wasn't the highlight of the trip anyway...was it?

I spent the yesterday on the water with my adult son also so I know exactly how you feel today.

Congrats on a day well spent.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   CPF Lures Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Sounds like a great day, some fish and time with your son!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Now that is a report! Nice limit. Good to see you guys had fun.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
That's the most detailed and interesting report I have ever read.
I was about to say the same thing! Great report Don, and an awesome afternoon! ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

• UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Guys tks for the comments.  Yep it was a Great Day for sure having my son there sharing the boat with me.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB