7 ft Casting Rod - Which Reel to Get?

Started by philm63, September 24, 2020, 02:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

I just dusted off an old Loomis GL3 casting rod I've had laying around for many years - looking for suggestions on a new reel. I do have an old Shimano 2-speed but it sat for several years and is so gummed up it's hard to turn and doesn't shift right.

Dollar-wise - I'd like to stay in the $100-$200 range but I'd like something that is going to be smooth, good brake system, lasts forever. Yes, I want it all.

The rod is very powerful with a medium/fast action, and I'll likely go with 10 or 12 Lb mono.

This'll be one for the Xmas list so don't feel bad if you're up at the top of my budget with the suggestions.

Smallie_Stalker

Well, I'm a bit biased so I'm going to recommend Daiwa reels. If you want to spend at the top of that price ange a Daiwa Tatula SV TW is an incredible reel. At the lower end of your price range you could look at either the Tatula CT or even the Fuego.

The Fuego can be found on sale all over the web for less than $100. It's got an aluminum frame, excellent braking system, smooth drag etc. It fishes far above it's price point IMO. Heck, with your budget you could get two of them.   ;) ~shade

Also in that same price range is the BPS Pro Qualifier. Very solid built reel with a dual braking system.

The Shimano SLX is another good reel within your budget, as well as some of the Lew's lineup.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

I second the Tatula SV. Great reel. You don't say what technique you're using the setup for. If you're going to use it for cranks or swimbaits you may want something with a deeper spool.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

philm63

I was thinking of using this setup for a lot of things - crankbaits, spinner baits, soft baits, etc. I do like what I see in the specs for the Tatula SV TW, or even the elite.

The more I look the more I learn, and I'm seeing comments on some reels about plastic vs. aluminum side plates - how big of a deal is this part? And does the SV TW have aluminum side plates, or...?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: philm63 on September 30, 2020, 01:29:53 PM
I was thinking of using this setup for a lot of things - crankbaits, spinner baits, soft baits, etc. I do like what I see in the specs for the Tatula SV TW, or even the elite.

The more I look the more I learn, and I'm seeing comments on some reels about plastic vs. aluminum side plates - how big of a deal is this part? And does the SV TW have aluminum side plates, or...?

The new 2020 SV TW has Zaion side plates. Some people call it plastic and some call it carbon. Either way reviwers say it is very sturdy and does not flex.

The previous model SV TW (2017) had an aluminum side plate on the handle side. You can still find them on the web brand new but they are getting scarce.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FD

I have many expensive reels but I have been testing 3 moderately price reels and am beginning to like them more than my $300 one.

13 Fishing Concept Z

Abu Garcia Black Max

KastKing Royal Legend

All for under $100 and they perform very well.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Oldfart9999

BPS reels are good reels from the PRO QUALIFIER up, they are aluminum frames with aluminum side plates. What the side plates are made of isn't the problem it's the frame, plastic/carbon frames tend to flex not the side plates, the difference is weight, plastic weighs less then aluminum in most cases.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

BassNat

Quote from: FD on October 01, 2020, 08:12:18 PM
I have many expensive reels but I have been testing 3 moderately price reels and am beginning to like them more than my $300 one.

13 Fishing Concept Z

Abu Garcia Black Max

KastKing Royal Legend

All for under $100 and they perform very well.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

The Black Max is my best casting reel FOR ME. I have concluded, perhaps incorrectly, since it only has 5 bearings the spool does not require as much tension or braking to prevent backlash as my other reels with more bearings. Blessings, Nat
Set the hook & God Bless -

Personal Best: 9/1/2016 22" 6.65 lbs. in my Weston backyard

LgMouthGambler

Nothing built recently is gonna last forever. If you want that, go look for a used Shimano reel built before 2010  lo . If you are looking for a good all around reel that wont break the bank, the Pro Qualifier is a fantastic reel. Quantums new S3 series is fantastic as well. As a matter of fact, I have been using the Smoke S3 KVD reel, and have not had an issue with it. I was using it for swimjigs with braid, and no flaws in performance. Caught some pretty good fish on it too, and its great. The size is right there with the Shimano Curado50E. I have a new one if you are interested you can PM me. The 13 Concept Z is also another excellent suggestion. I have one like new that I Trick Shopped out with a better spool. We can talk on that as well if interested. Save you some money, and you can put that towards other things.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Dink Dawg

Diawa Tatula CT at 129.99 MSRP.  It can be had for $104.00 on any black Friday sale. It would pair with that GL3 nicely. ;PEP)

philm63

Ok, so I've changed gears a little - was looking pretty hard at the Tatula SV-TW, and now I'm looking at the Shimano Curado K. When compared to the Tatula SV, well... which way would y'all go?

I can get the K with line for just under the cost of the SV with no line. It's not really about the cost (the wife would beg to differ, I'm sure), they're both great reels according to reviews from multiple sources, so perhaps it's simply a matter of personal tastes.

The Reel-Monkey's on my back somethin' fierce! What sayeth y'all?

LgMouthGambler

Pick one, thats the best I got. Both are pretty mid/low tier reels. The SV will be better with lighter baits.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

BlaineD

Quote from: philm63 on October 15, 2020, 01:22:56 PM
Ok, so I've changed gears a little - was looking pretty hard at the Tatula SV-TW, and now I'm looking at the Shimano Curado K. When compared to the Tatula SV, well... which way would y'all go?

I can get the K with line for just under the cost of the SV with no line. It's not really about the cost (the wife would beg to differ, I'm sure), they're both great reels according to reviews from multiple sources, so perhaps it's simply a matter of personal tastes.

The Reel-Monkey's on my back somethin' fierce! What sayeth y'all?
Both are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Cork

Both are great reels, I think the micro gearing in the K is a little smother on retrieve. I personally think both will cast pretty much the same with any weight lure.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

philm63

Ordered the Tatula SV TW in a 7-speed, should be here Monday. Excited to try it out...

Mike Cork

You'll be very happy with it.  ~c~ Congratulations

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

philm63

Just a quick follow-up - Wow! That's all, just Wow! Apparently I had forgotten how nice it was to have a good baitcaster and having the know-how to set it up correctly. Just from my reading on this forum I was able to set the spool tension (I didn't even know such a thing existed before coming here... :-\), and start messin' with the brakes. I started on full then wound up backing it off to under half and I still can't get it to backlash! Yep; you heard me... Wow!

I didn't measure but while setting it up I threw a 1/2 oz jig from my backyard all the way to the driveway of my neighbor's house behind me - had to be 150 ft! never did THAT before... :o

Ok, so that wasn't really a "quick" follow-up. Oops.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: philm63 on November 16, 2020, 01:58:07 PM
Just a quick follow-up - Wow! That's all, just Wow! Apparently I had forgotten how nice it was to have a good baitcaster and having the know-how to set it up correctly. Just from my reading on this forum I was able to set the spool tension (I didn't even know such a thing existed before coming here... :-\), and start messin' with the brakes. I started on full then wound up backing it off to under half and I still can't get it to backlash! Yep; you heard me... Wow!

I didn't measure but while setting it up I threw a 1/2 oz jig from my backyard all the way to the driveway of my neighbor's house behind me - had to be 150 ft! never did THAT before... :o

Good stuff! Enjoy!! Thank you for the update

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: philm63 on November 16, 2020, 01:58:07 PM

Congratulations.  Always a pleasure to hear back from someone getting new gear.  And it is even a good looking reel.   :)   At least the older model is.  Haven't seen the new ones.