The T-Wing thread

Started by kdubracing, October 13, 2020, 01:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

I've seen people like the t-wing, indifferent about it, and hate it. Just curious, for those of you that have used it, why do you like or dislike it? I'm guessing a lot of the dislike is related to braid knots, but just wanted to find out.

Bud Kennedy

Knots have nothing to do with it for me.  My dislike is because line tends to jump out of the t wing from time to time.  Although this has not caused a problem for me it does suggest that it is a bit irritating when this happens and in my mind a well designed product would resolve what I believe to be an issue.  Also the sinple act of holding a line between you thumb and forefinger also lifts the line out of the t wing.

Mike Cork

My issue with the t wing is the line jumping in and out of position. I'm also a line holder and when the line jumps I think I just got a bite LOL. I've set the hook many times and caught a bait in the chest because nothing had it  :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Captsteve

I love it, helps reduce number of backlashes

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

I can take it or leave it but lean more toward leave it. It is not my favorite feature on the reels that have it. I could live without it for several reasons.

Besides the already mentioned line jump issue I have found because of the way Daiwa redesigned the frame on the new 2020 models the T-Wing mechanism sticks out further and catches my hand on the palming side of the reel if I'm not careful. So I have to make a conscious effort on where to place my hand every few casts and it takes something from the natural flow of using a reel IMO.

The other thing, at least for me, is that I well I do get fewer backlashes than on my non- T-Wing Daiwas I am not sure that is due to the T-Wing mechanism. I believe it has more to do with the Air Braking system, and in the case of the SV models the combination of that spool and the Air Braking.

If Daiwa did away with the T-Wing feature tomorrow I wouldn't miss it or shed any tears.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fishballer06

I'm not a fan. I personally find that it causes more issues than it solves.

And for the record, the issue that it solves is not an issue and there is no performance gain what so ever IMO.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Fun4me

I own reels with the T-Wing. For most applications, I could take it or leave it. I think it has advantages when the level wind is at it's most end points of the spool. In those cases, I think it does aid in the line coming off the spool without binding as much. One disadvantage of the T-Wing is leader knots don't play well with it. With the exception of an FG knot (which works very well) most knots will get caught in the slim opening of the "T" portion of the T-Wing. If you don't use leader knots, it's a non issue.

Overall I think people make the T-Wing feature more of a deal than it actually is. It helps a little bit, and it hurts a little bit, depending on how you fish. It only helps me in my fishing, aftter I learned the FG knot. JMO

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 13, 2020, 01:14:12 PM
My issue with the t wing is the line jumping in and out of position. I'm also a line holder and when the line jumps I think I just got a bite LOL. I've set the hook many times and caught a bait in the chest because nothing had it  :surrender:
lo lo lo

I don't recall setting the hook over the line coming out. But I can see how it could happen. I to feel the line with my fingers. That does irritate me when the line is jumping in and out of position. The second thing that irritates me about it and it may be just a Daiwa thing but the overly loud clunk it makes when you start to reel. Probably just me being picky but that is the way I am.  lo

Bassinkorea

I have one Daiwa reel with the t-wing. I have not noticed any differences over a regular line guide. I don't hold the line at all with my fingers.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bud Kennedy

I have changed how I place my hands on the rod/line when using my Daiwa reels with T wing.  If I am presenting a T rigged bait or a jig I tend to hold the rod more on the foregrip and put my thumb on top of the line against the rod.  It transmits the feel quite nicely and really can add some umph to your hookset especially in jig style presentations.  This particular method was suggested by Bo James in other posts where he was describing how he holds the rod and has developed his hook set technique.  Although this was quite a change and a bit awkward at first it is now becoming second nature.  When you think about it this is very similar to how a lot of folks hold a spinning rod so that they can keep some pressure on the line to help during the retrieve and keep the spool wound correctly.

Princeton_Man

I like the TWS, I can create a nasty backlash with or without it, but it does seem to help reduce them and if I'm contacting the line, it's generally just downward pressure with my thumb.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club