Finally, a USDM cranking reel from Shimano

Started by fishballer06, October 28, 2020, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

It's been years, but we finally got something to replace the old Chronarch E series 5 speeds. Shimano has finally released a PG (power gear) in the Curado K. This reel comes in at a 5.0:1 ratio only crawls in a slow 21" of line per turn. If you've been looking for a solid cranking reel on the USDM from Shimano, this is the answer you've been waiting for.

https://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-CURADO_K.html
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

With the extremely smooth gearing (I assume the maintain it with the low gears as well) this will be a fine machine that is easily fished. Casting larger cranks a "country" mile and won't wear you out in a days fishing.

This will be a fine cranking machine.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

earldogg

Smallie_Stalker

They even have a left-hand retrieve!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cojab

I've been impressed with the one K that I own. With the solid construction and very smooth
and strong brass gears, I bought it primarily for frogging.
After seeing how well I like his reel I will now be switching out to K's for many more applications. It's nice to see this lower (numerically) ratio for deeper cranks.
TTK has spoken.

fishballer06

I knew I'd eventually end up owning one of these. Ordered mine yesterday from a popular website that had a private, email invite only 25% off Shimano sale for the holiday going on. I can't pass down a good deal on a new Shimano.

Mike Cork

That's a special deal, Shimano is horrible about mandatory MSRP... 25% is huge ~c~ ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

fishballer06

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 01, 2021, 08:32:10 AM
That's a special deal, Shimano is horrible about mandatory MSRP... 25% is huge ~c~ ~c~

Indeed they are. But as much as it sucks paying full price for a Metanium or Bantam (which I've done a handful of times), it's nice knowing that I can always sell a reel if money gets tight and I'll still get a big chunk of my money back because they hold their value so well because of their strict pricing policy. Shimano's seem to hold their value longer than any other brand out there.

Mike Cork

The MSRPing and the cult like following both can be credited for the value. I'm not calling anyone out as I am a cult leader  ~roflmao

Cork's Reel Service