Building up my Rod Collection - Next Step?

Started by philm63, November 01, 2020, 11:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

Understanding that selecting your next bass rod comes with a ton of variables, I reckon I should start with where I am now and where (I think) I'm going. I currently have a 6½ ft. MH/F MHX Mag Taper built as a spinning rod with a Stradic CI4+ 3000 – very lightweight combo, and one I think of as a "general-purpose" bass spinning setup.

And then there's the old Loomis GL3 that's laying around collecting dust – I just pulled the trigger on the reel for that one – Tatula SV TW in a 7-speed. The rod is a Model MBR844C – 7' H/F, so it looks like I've got a rod for jigs and heavier top water stuff. Correct me if I'm not seeing the whole picture on this one.

Looking to build another casting rod. Knowing I have a general-purpose spinning setup, and a casting setup I'd call my jig-n-pig/spinnerbait and/or buzzbait rig, what would be the next logical step to add to my repertoire?

I really enjoy finesse techniques and I do enjoy working a spinnerbait at any depth, but I'm not that well versed in top water or jigging techniques (other than just walking them across the bottom), and really have no practical experience with crankbaits. Also limited to bank fishing for now. I know I'll end up with more than a few rods, but what would y'all do for casting rod #2?

Oldfart9999

I would consider a 7-71/2 foot cranking stick, a glass graphite combo in a medium action, you can use it for cranks, spinnerbaits and topwater. If you are going to be using heavier baits go with a medium/heavy rod.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

philm63

7 - 7.5'; Check. Composite; Check. But if I go in that direction, what about the action? F or XF? Or for this type of rod is it that important?

So much to learn here...

apenland01

Just to clarify, it's a GLX, not a GL3....

If it's a Loomis GLX 844 MBR, that rod is a very versatile rod.  I have the 843 and there is a bunch of stuff I can fish with it.

If you have the GL3, that's a heavy fly rod basically, so it's important to know which one you have.

loomisguy

For me the Fluke is a post spawn fry guarder deal so I just use what I would normally throw weightless worm or a jerkbait on. I use a Joe Burns MHF and a Witch Doctor surman 50G.
Any MH fast or Xfast should be fine.
The 844 in any flavor will be a little tight for a fluke I would think, the 843 is about perfect.

Pferox

I personally think that the most versatile rod would be a MH/F for bass fishing.  This with mono or copolymer will work just about any presentation except finesse, but will deaden the feel a bit.  Use Braid on it and you kind of have to give up on any treble hook presentation, IMHO.

But if you were to be using braid, a Medium / Parabolic rod would be a nice all around one too.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

philm63

Well my 6' 6" MH/F spinning setup is running 20 Lb braid, and I intend to run 40 Lb braid on the 7' H/F casting rod, so perhaps another 7 footer but in a Medium power this time with which I should be able to do some finesse techniques and light jigs, and maybe even some spinnerbaits. Sound about right?

Pferox

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim