Post your froggin setup(s)

Started by Fun4me, November 01, 2020, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

Frogging is my favorite way to catch fish. I currently use a Dobyns Fury 735c and a Daiwa Tatula CT for the bigger frogs, and a MH Irod chatterbait rod with a Curado DC for smaller frogs. I fish mainly open water to lighter pads and grass. I'm thinking I might try something new next year.

What do you use? And would you recommend it to others? 

Capt. BassinLou

I have 2.

1. MHX 8874, 7'3" H, Fast tip with a Shimano Curado I

2. Custom LSCR on a Point blank, 7'6 H, XF, with a Shimano Scorpion.

I would recommend either of my 2 froggin rods. The LSCR is a unique custom rod designed for my style of froggin, and Lee Smith hit out of the park when he designed it for me. The MHX is very nice rod, with helluva of backbone.

Dink Dawg

Dobyns Champion 736C FH, Daiwa Zillion 9:1 with #65 Smackdown. ;PEP)

ike8120

Dobyns FR735C, KK Speed Demon Elite 10.5:1, 50# Super Power Braid
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

SteveTX

I change the reels up sometimes but these couple of rods are used a lot for frogs.
Heavy cover  ;)
Rod
Powell Max 3D 736 CEF Frog Magnum Heavy Extra Fast  7'3"
Reel
Abu Garcia RVO3 Rocket 9:1 36.5" IPT 65lb Sufix 832
Lighter cover situations  ;D
Rod
Dobyns Savvy Series Micro SSM734C Heavy Fast  7'3"
Reel
Lew's Super Duty G  SDG1XHF 8.3:1  35" IPT 50lb Sufix 832

earldogg

Dx746, shimano chronarch 201e7, 50lb. Dx is way overkill to frog fish, however, used it in a pinch once and it was the best frog rod I ever used, put a champion 736 to shame, and got it very cheap.

chrisD46

Frog'n reel speed = 7:3:1 or faster like 8:1 or faster ?

Mike Cork

I have two both are Dobyns Champion DC 736C one has a Shimano Metanium 8:1 and the other has a shimano SLX 8:1 and I have to be honest, the $300 in price between the reels is a waste of money. The SLX isn't quite as nice as the Metanium but it's nice enough I'll never buy another Metanium for froggin.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 10:13:36 AM
I have two both are Dobyns Champion DC 736C one has a Shimano Metanium 8:1 and the other has a shimano SLX 8:1 and I have to be honest, the $300 in price between the reels is a waste of money. The SLX isn't quite as nice as the Metanium but it's nice enough I'll never buy another Metanium for froggin.
I noticed on one of your recent videos Mike, that you were using the SLX for froggin. How do you like it for this application so far?

Mike Cork

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 10, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
I noticed on one of your recent videos Mike, that you were using the SLX for froggin. How do you like it for this application so far?

So far I love it. A frog reels needs cleaned more often and I haven't cleaned this one all year. It casts amazing and with the high speed it performs awesome. I've been very pleased to say the least. And it's cheap :-* but not built cheap. This is the first year, but even if it fell apart next year, for a guy that fishes a frog year round, it's a heck of a buy. I got the Metanium because I wanted something special for the rod I used the most, now I wish I hadn't spent the money...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

two rods, both with shimano curado's, 30# suffix performance braid

Powell 765 for the big mats, all around use
Powell 705 for the skipping applications

Lee Smith

I use an old, telescopic Kistler that I bout back in their early days, redone it, top to bottom, added a something another reel with Shimano on it, Lou or Mat can tell ya what it is, but I can throw a good ways and get them back through the muck  ~shade

ask um'  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Smallie_Stalker

I use a custom rod built for me by our own Lee Smith. Originally it had a Revo Rocket on it, and Lee Built it so the thread wraps matched the color of the reel almost exactly.

That rod now has a Daiwa Fuego CT 8:1.1 reel on it. Somewhere down the road I will be adding a Dobyns Champ 735 or 736 as a backup. Tell TBD.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lee Smith on November 10, 2020, 12:14:22 PM
I use an old, telescopic Kistler that I bout back in their early days, redone it, top to bottom, added a something another reel with Shimano on it, Lou or Mat can tell ya what it is, but I can throw a good ways and get them back through the muck  ~shade

ask um'  ~roflmao

I specifically forget the reel, but I know it's a rocket launcher!!  lo lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 11:06:31 AM
So far I love it. A frog reels needs cleaned more often and I haven't cleaned this one all year. It casts amazing and with the high speed it performs awesome. I've been very pleased to say the least. And it's cheap :-* but not built cheap. This is the first year, but even if it fell apart next year, for a guy that fishes a frog year round, it's a heck of a buy. I got the Metanium because I wanted something special for the rod I used the most, now I wish I hadn't spent the money...

I have been fishing my SLX a lot recently, and I'm really enjoying it. Haven't used it for any of my froggin applications yet, but it's a fun reel to fish.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on November 10, 2020, 12:14:22 PM

ask um'  ~roflmao

The reel when we fished with you at Gunt was the Zillion TWS that I tuned for you. Yeah, no brakes, and spool wiggles side to side...ALOT!  lo Sonofa.... :o
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

Dobyns Champion 736c w/ a Daiwa Tatula 100 in 8.1:1 reel.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

chrisD46

Dobyns Sierra 735c.  / Daiwa Fuego CT 8:1 /  Power Pro #65 lb. / Booyah Pad Crasher

toddallen

~cf   DC 735C FH  with an SLX. Love it!

Lee Smith

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 10, 2020, 02:59:37 PM
The reel when we fished with you at Gunt was the Zillion TWS that I tuned for you. Yeah, no brakes, and spool wiggles side to side...ALOT!  lo Sonofa.... :o

yea,dat one, she fast  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

1ReelFanatik

Have two.  Keep an OG Tatula 7'4" HF in Florida.  Take my Curado 201E7 with me for using on this rod when I fly down.

One at home is a fairly recent addition.  An ALX Toadface with an SV103HL, but I honestly don't know what reel will eventually find a home on it.  Have a Coastal SV 7.1:1 or 7.3:1 Helios Air I'm going to try on it.

Blacknredflake

Dobyns Fury 735C paired with Diawa Tatula 100HS (i think)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

njpaulc

An old Bass Pro 6'6" Spiral Graphite rod, heavy power mod fast action, Garcia 5500c3 and 40 to 65 lb braid.  Don't like a long rod for froggin', I feel like the extra length above the reel seat gives the bass more leverage.  If the cover up here was heavier, I'd probably be using for a fast action rod.

Muddy-Waters

13 Fishing Omen Black 7'3  H  Daiwa Exceler 50lb PowerPro

Jacobguy

Dobyns Fury 735c, Diawa Fuego 8:3:1

Although I have yet to get a frog fish with it I LOVE it for bigger baits too.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk