Ultrex Reviews

Started by Wizard, November 08, 2020, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

If you have used an Ultrex for awhile, I would like some honest reviews of the motor with pros and cons you have observed. The more reviews written, the better information we will have to make a decision.

Wizard

coldfront

ultrex 80 here.  used for a bit over a year.

love spot lock, really helpful in the current situations here.

this spring the 'electronic board' went out and had to be replaced.  that's only issue I've had.

won't be without 'spot lock' in a TM ever again.

Bassinkorea

I too have the Ultrex 80lb, and have had it for almost 2 years.
I love the thing and has been by far the best money I have spent on my boat (and I have spent quite a bit!!).
The spot lock is an awesome feature, specially in strong winds, but when there is very light to no winds the it can be quite annoying, as the whole things keeps steering left and right constantly.

The last few trips out my spot lock would shut off all by itself when the motor turned to full right. It was only yesterday that I realized that there was something trapped under the front of the pedal, and the pedal was hitting it and shutting it down. I found it yesterday and removed it and now it works fine again  ~sweat

I got the 52" shaft for my 18.5' Triton, and if I was buying all over again I would get the 45" shaft as it does stick up rather high and occasionally interferes with casting and hook sets.

Having said all of that, there are several guys over here using the Garmin and Lowrance trolling motors, and those things appear very sweet, mainly due to the very quiet steering. The Ultrex can be quite loud.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Eric-Maine

I have had an ultrex for 3 full seasons now coming from a 109 36 volt Motor Guide. Amazing motor. Bought it in November of 2017 and used it for first 4 months in Florida on Okeechobee. Even if spot lock and navigation were not features I would recommend this motor. Goes through weeds like butter and batteries hold up all day vs a few hours. On Erie and the St. Lawrence spot lock is an amazing tool in wind and current. Never realized truely how many  fish you can catch making the same cast over and over. Never use drift socks any more. My home waters I love fishing boat docks...... very responsive. IMO the best advancement in my 40 years of bass fishing. A must have.
I have had to have it repaired twice. My local marine dealer has me back on the water within a day each time. You can only beat on anything so much. I recommend the Ultrex and would buy another without reservation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

apenland01

Ultrex 80, 24v, 45" shaft bought in Sept 2018.  Amazing.

I use spot lock and cruise control every trip.  I couldn't imagine fishing without it now.

Batteries last all day without any lags.  Granted, I have massive batteries with dual X2 31AGM from Batteries Plus, so they are beasts as it is.

Problems:  Power switch was intermittent.  Replaced under warranty.  I got water intrusion in the lower unit from loose bolts from the factory and they replaced the lower unit and shaft under warranty.  Apparently, the lower unit and shaft are a single, sealed unit.

Annoyances:  Spot lock will turn off if something gets under the pedal.  Cruise control in heavy cross winds (20mph+) will keep the heading, but allow you to drift a bit off course.  If you have the wrong scale for your boat, it will search a lot on cruise control and spot lock.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate.  I've had excellent service and support from my ASC and Minn Kota....

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinkorea on November 08, 2020, 04:46:29 PM

Having said all of that, there are several guys over here using the Garmin and Lowrance trolling motors, and those things appear very sweet, mainly due to the very quiet steering. The Ultrex can be quite loud.

as I look forward to my next boat, am really considering the Ghost.  regardless of which TM I go with, the ability to have it fully integrated with my electronics will be a HUGE part of the choice.

this from a guy who is running the Ultrex TM and Lowrance electronics.

Wizard

Thank you, Gentlemen. I want to do one more trolling motor.

Wizard

Princeton_Man

I've had my Ultrex about three years now. The only issues I've had have been electrical and not related to the Ultrex itself. I've had no buyer's remorse with the purchase at all.

Spot Lock continues to be my most used feature. Even after 3 years, I'm still learning to use the auto pilot and tracks. I recently used auto pilot at Guntersville and it paid off by allowing me to work a wide area for an extended period of time and concentrate on fishing instead of boat position.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club