Why is it so awkward for me to use the TM foot pedal

Started by lacofdfireman, March 13, 2021, 10:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacofdfireman

So I'm new to Bass Fishimg this year.  Bought me a cheap $9k 2012 Bass Tracker.  The boat came with a 24v 80lb Minn Kota Ulterra auto deploy auto stow TM.  The TM seems to work fantastic but I feel so awkward using the foot pedal.  I feel like my balance is off and I'm gonna fall out of the boat half the time.  For that reason I use the remote almost all the time. But doing that typically means your hands aren't on your fishing pole or the reel where they should be while fishing.   The foot pedal is just on top of the deck.  Not recessed like I see many others but not sure if that even matters or not. 

Is this just a time thing and with more experience I'll get the hang or is the Ulterra foot pedal just a weird design. 

Also just bought a butt seat with an extendable pole.  I'm 6'5 and the chair that was upfront hit me in the back of the knees.  Hoping the nut seat up higher will be an improvement and maybe allow me to lean on it a little for balance. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bud Kennedy

The trolling motor pedal will become second nature to you and a short while.  Since your pedal is mounted on the deck and not in a recessed tray, I can understand your issue fully.

If you change your seat pedestal for a power pedestal I think you will find a more comfortable adjustment that will fit your needs.  I am a short person so I don't have the issues you tall people face.  A combination of recessed tray for the trolling motor pedal and a power pedestal should help both issues significantly.

coldfront

GymShoe

Quote from: lacofdfireman on March 13, 2021, 10:20:28 AM
So I'm new to Bass Fishimg this year.  Bought me a cheap $9k 2012 Bass Tracker.  The boat came with a 24v 80lb Minn Kota Ulterra auto deploy auto stow TM.  The TM seems to work fantastic but I feel so awkward using the foot pedal.  I feel like my balance is off and I'm gonna fall out of the boat half the time.  For that reason I use the remote almost all the time. But doing that typically means your hands aren't on your fishing pole or the reel where they should be while fishing.   The foot pedal is just on top of the deck.  Not recessed like I see many others but not sure if that even matters or not. 

Is this just a time thing and with more experience I'll get the hang or is the Ulterra foot pedal just a weird design. 

Also just bought a butt seat with an extendable pole.  I'm 6'5 and the chair that was upfront hit me in the back of the knees.  Hoping the nut seat up higher will be an improvement and maybe allow me to lean on it a little for balance. 

I had a similar problem on my Tracker 175 some years back. Took me a little while to get used to it.

I know you said it's a 2012 Tracker but if you don't mind me asking how long have you had the boat? Might just be a matter of spending some time as others have said.

Also, have you considered making the pedal recessed into the deck? A lot of times that seems to solve a world of problems for a lot of people.

BassmanRudy

A recessed trolling motor tray will help you immensely. That being said the 175 is kinda "skinny" up top so installing one can be tough. My 190 was such a close fit that I almost needed to shim up the tray for it to fit.

I believe there are posts on here for the 175 about it. You'll lose the center rod tubes though so keep that in mind and def REMOVE all rods from the center before cutting(I almost lost a rod to the sawzall when I did mine!).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

lacofdfireman

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 13, 2021, 06:44:02 PM
A recessed trolling motor tray will help you immensely. That being said the 175 is kinda "skinny" up top so installing one can be tough. My 190 was such a close fit that I almost needed to shim up the tray for it to fit.

I believe there are posts on here for the 175 about it. You'll lose the center rod tubes though so keep that in mind and def REMOVE all rods from the center before cutting(I almost lost a rod to the sawzall when I did mine!).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

.  I don't use my center compartment for any rods anyways.  Also I've never seen a recessed tray for the Ulterra that wasn't a custom one.  It won't fit in an Ultrex tray.  The Ulterra is wider and shorter.

FD

After you deploy switch it out of ulterra mode by pressing the mode button once and the orange light goes out. That changes the up/down buttons to to left/right steer.  The deploy/stow button becomes momentary on.  This allows you to steer with just a toe while the rest of your foot is flat on the deck. 

It takes a little getting used to but it is so much better for me with my back and balance issues.  It also keeps you from hitting the stow button by accident.

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment.    FDx Custom Rods.   CPFLURES.COM

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

lacofdfireman

Quote from: FD on March 14, 2021, 06:04:32 AM
After you deploy switch it out of ulterra mode by pressing the mode button once and the orange light goes out. That changes the up/down buttons to to left/right steer.  The deploy/stow button becomes momentary on.  This allows you to steer with just a toe while the rest of your foot is flat on the deck. 

It takes a little getting used to but it is so much better for me with my back and balance issues.  It also keeps you from hitting the stow button by accident.

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment.    FDx Custom Rods.   CPFLURES.COM

Didn't know this but I'm gonna try it now.  Matter of fact I'm not sure what all the buttons even do.  Now I'm going to YouTube to find out.