How Many 8:1 Bait Cast Reels Do You Own ?

Started by chrisD46, November 10, 2020, 04:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

I recently picked up a Daiwa Fuego CT bait cast reel in 8:1 which I spooled up with #50 lb. braid for Frog'n & Flip'n ... The more I read about 8:1 gear ratio reels I discover many more techniques guys are using them for such as : Buzz Baits , Toads , T-Rigs , Football Jigs , or other techniques where you either use the rod to move the lure or require high lure retrieve speed . Tell us about your different 8:1 gear ratio bait cast reel set ups you use ?

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Nope, none for me either. 7.3:1 is the highest speed reel I own, a Revo STX.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

loomisguy

None here either. I've thought about it but I really don't see the need. I guess it would be nice for a buzzbait.

LgMouthGambler

One. JM Signature reel. Use it for buzzing swimbaits or speedworms.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

There are times when every rod on my deck will have an 8:1 reel on it. From pitching to ripping traps. If it's not 8:1 I'm using a 7:1. Once past a strike zone I want the bait back to cast again.

I just like fast reels, I'll turn the handle slower if needed, but you have to remember to do so.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

I have 3, all Daiwa. I have a Fuego a Tatula SV TW 103 and an Elite Pitch/Flip.

Like Mike I tend to like faster reels and for the same reason. Being a northern boy who also likes to finesse fish it makes slowing down a lot easier for me when I need to.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

chrisD46

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 08:59:16 AM
There are times when every rod on my deck will have an 8:1 reel on it. From pitching to ripping traps. If it's not 8:1 I'm using a 7:1. Once past a strike zone I want the bait back to cast again.

I just like fast reels, I'll turn the handle slower if needed, but you have to remember to do so.
*Hi Mike - it would be helpful to learn where you see applications where a 8:1 ratio reel as a: "have to have" vs. a 'nice to have" (which could be satisfied with a 7:3:1 reel ratio)... Thanks in advance !

Mike Cork

Quote from: chrisD46 on November 10, 2020, 10:09:57 AM
*Hi Mike - it would be helpful to learn where you see applications where a 8:1 ratio reel as a: "have to have" vs. a 'nice to have" (which could be satisfied with a 7:3:1 reel ratio)... Thanks in advance !

I guess I would have to say tournament fishing. In my part of the country, I firmly believe I succeed in my tournaments because I can fish more strike zones than most of my competitors. Most anglers will fish a section of grass or group of cypress trees or even a dock and spend 30 minutes, where I'm only going to spend ten. A fast reel is part of that.

For my cover fishing conditions (Louisiana swamp lakes don't get deeper than 8 feet and average 3) it's about having a bait where a bass lives. That bass either wants the bait to move horizontally past him, say a squarebill crashing into his brush pile, or vertically, say a jig falling into his brush pile. All the peripheral water around him is useless and the faster I can burn the bait back to the boat through useless water the more presentations I can make to a piece of cover.

I will warn that in the beginning of my fast reel exploits I lost fish on the way to the boat because I didn't let the rod do the work and with a fast reel it's super easy to horse a fish to the point of loosing it. So if the fish is two pounds or less I burn it across the top and flip it in the boat (during tournaments) if three pounds or more, I have to be careful not to over speed it.

Now personally, the only reason I have 7:1 reels is because they didn't make the 8:1 when I bought them. That said, I'm glad I have them now. I feel a 7:1 is a better reel for slowing down even more. I mentioned that I'll just turn the handle slower, but there are times I forget and the 7:1 is forgiving compared to the 8:1. So winter time spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and crankbaits. I bought a tweaked out 6:1 from Largemouth Gambler last year and do enjoy it for the deep diving cranks I throw, very occasionally. Lower gear ratios won't wear you out with a long day of deep dive cranking. 

Clear as mud?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 08:59:16 AM

This
Many times I say I'm fishing slow at warp speed. I pitch a bait out once it hits the bottom I'm burning it back in to make another pitch. And when the fish are on a good swim jig bite you can not reel it fast enough

Pipepro

I've got 5. I'd like one around 10:1 as well.

I see a fast reel as a need for when I'm pitching jigs and creature baits to specific targets. One pitch and a couple of hops and it's reeled in and pitch again. I try to stay way back from the fish so that leaves a lot of "dead" water between me and the target. The faster I can get it back in the water the better.

I also use a high speed reel for frogging. I make long casts to pockets or isolated cover and work the frog with the rod, picking up line as I go. Again, that leaves a lot of water between me and the target to cover quickly.

That's just the way I fish. I fish super fast, and people who fish with me say I cast like a machine gun. Its relaxing to me so that's why I love the high speed reels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

geneinnc

3: 8:1
4: 7:1
5: 6:1
4: 5:1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

zippyduck

All but my cranking rods are at least 8-1 reels. Pitching and dragging jigs, c-rigs, and t-rigs have 9-1 reels.
Like Mike I'm all about more casts and covering water.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

I use the higher speeds pretty regularly myself. I don't tournament fish but I pitch for targets a lot. Like Mike said you can hit more targets in the same time if it only takes a few cranks of the handle to be ready to pitch again. I want to catch more fish in the time I am getting to fish so efficiency = more fun.
This is most of my reels that I actually use except for the 5 speed ones I rarely get out.

chrisD46

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 10, 2020, 10:28:22 AM
I guess I would have to say tournament fishing. In my part of the country, I firmly believe I succeed in my tournaments because I can fish more strike zones than most of my competitors. Most anglers will fish a section of grass or group of cypress trees or even a dock and spend 30 minutes, where I'm only going to spend ten. A fast reel is part of that.

For my cover fishing conditions (Louisiana swamp lakes don't get deeper than 8 feet and average 3) it's about having a bait where a bass lives. That bass either wants the bait to move horizontally past him, say a squarebill crashing into his brush pile, or vertically, say a jig falling into his brush pile. All the peripheral water around him is useless and the faster I can burn the bait back to the boat through useless water the more presentations I can make to a piece of cover.

I will warn that in the beginning of my fast reel exploits I lost fish on the way to the boat because I didn't let the rod do the work and with a fast reel it's super easy to horse a fish to the point of loosing it. So if the fish is two pounds or less I burn it across the top and flip it in the boat (during tournaments) if three pounds or more, I have to be careful not to over speed it.

Now personally, the only reason I have 7:1 reels is because they didn't make the 8:1 when I bought them. That said, I'm glad I have them now. I feel a 7:1 is a better reel for slowing down even more. I mentioned that I'll just turn the handle slower, but there are times I forget and the 7:1 is forgiving compared to the 8:1. So winter time spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and crankbaits. I bought a tweaked out 6:1 from Largemouth Gambler last year and do enjoy it for the deep diving cranks I throw, very occasionally. Lower gear ratios won't wear you out with a long day of deep dive cranking. 

Clear as mud?
*Great reply Mike !!

Oldfart9999

Being a geezer and retired, I'm just not in a hurry when I'm not on the water and other than replacing several reels, with low speed for cranking,  most likely won't get any.
Rodney

chrisD46

OP here : I have one 8:1 for frog'n and flip'n with #50 lb. braid ... I think I'll add another 8:1 with straight FC line in #15 lb. for Football jigs , T-Rigs & C-Rigs (anything I use the rod to move bottom contact baits) .

loomisguy

Different strokes.. Personally, I've too many fish bite on a cast I had given up on too take it away from them any faster.

1ReelFanatik

At least two.  I have been gravitating to 7 or faster reels.  Many of my reels are older models.  No 8 ratio available back then.  6-7 are 5.8 with one at 5.7.  Have had gear sets changed to faster ratios in at least 2 others that were 5.8 from the factory.

I'd rather slow down than have to speed up.

bigjim5589

QuoteBeing a geezer and retired, I'm just not in a hurry when I'm not on the water and other than replacing several reels, with low speed for cranking,  most likely won't get any.
Rodney

Rodney, I think I even have one reel with 4.3 to 1 gears or something close to that. So, I'm not in any hurry when I fish either!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

caddyjoe77

a lot of the stolen replacements are 8:1

i used to be a huge fan of 6.3:1 and 7:1.  really its all about IPT IMO

still have my crazy cranker at 4.9:1 for cranks....really like that one
BeerMe

Oldfart9999

I have several of those 4.8 or so jobs Quantum Irons. old 3 bearing reels, they still work quite well.
Rodney

Dink Dawg

Two and a Zillion 9:1.  Sometimes speed equals efficiency. ;PEP)

ShimmyDobs21

I have 3:

1. Frogs
2. Worms and Jigs
3. Squarebills and Traps

Pferox

None, as a matter of fact I have a couple that are 1.? to one. 

Those big salt water fish need the lower gears just to winch them in.

5 and 6 to one seem to be a good mix for some inshore fish.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim