Bass boat idea

Started by Esox obsessed, November 22, 2020, 07:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

There is a lake I fish that has boating restrictions and was wondering what boat would be good for this
Boat has to be 17ft or less
Can only use trolling motor

Donald Garner

I would get an aluminum jon boat with 24volt trolling motor.  There's lots of aluminum jon boats brands out there that have boats rigged up for bass fishing.  When you get the chance stop in the UB Aluminum Boat section and see what some of the UB members have.

I have a G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat I fish out of on Small Lakes and Rivers.
Rigged for Electric Motor Lake only

Rigged for fishing with 25hp Yamaha

Good luck with finding the one you want.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

2 boats come to mind. A jon boat, or a Bass Hunter, Bass Prowler, type of boat. Configure them how you like, with a quality trolling motor(s) and they can get you in plenty of fishable waters.  :-*

Esox obsessed

They don't seem as sturdy but was hoping for a bass boat with a live well  but shorter

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 22, 2020, 09:08:53 AM
They don't seem as sturdy but was hoping for a bass boat with a live well  but shorter
Which one doesn't seem sturdy enough, the jon or the bass hunter?  I fish from my 8ft Basshunter standing up with 0 issues.

Esox obsessed

Both because if you have ever been in the 1000 islands you know how it gets
And while I would want a boat to get into hemlock I would also want something stable enough for water like the st Lawrence

Bud Kennedy

There is no bass boat in the class you want that is stable enough for the St. Lawrence.  You can still get beat up there in a 20' fiberglass boat.  If you are looking at that wide a range of conditions then you need to start thinking about a multi species option of some sort. There is no way a bass boat can deal with the wakes of the big boats that populate that waterway.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on November 22, 2020, 01:15:25 PM
There is no bass boat in the class you want that is stable enough for the St. Lawrence.  You can still get beat up there in a 20' fiberglass boat.  If you are looking at that wide a range of conditions then you need to start thinking about a multi species option of some sort. There is no way a bass boat can deal with the wakes of the big boats that populate that waterway.
Then how do the guys use them then

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 22, 2020, 01:41:31 PM
Then how do the guys use them then

Just because somebody uses something doesn't make it the best, or more importantly the safest option.

If you've ever watched Bassmaster Live or the FLW when they fish the St. Lawrence you will often hear the pros wishing they were NOT in a bass boat. Due to the safety issues some of them have even left the competitions early.

Bud is 100% correct. Your best bet is a multi-species rig that is built for big and rough waters.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

For small lakes, large ponds and smaller streams, I had a flat stern canoe with a trolling motor on the rear.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

For Hemlock and Canadice lakes the boat can't be longer than 16 feet and the motor can't be over 10 horse power, that will work in the back waters of the St. Lawrence but not in the main channel. You could use it in Lake of the Isles or Eel Bay or other out of the way place but that's about it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 23, 2020, 06:24:15 AM
For Hemlock and Canadice lakes the boat can't be longer than 16 feet and the motor can't be over 10 horse power, that will work in the back waters of the St. Lawrence but not in the main channel. You could use it in Lake of the Isles or Eel Bay or other out of the way place but that's about it.
Rodney
They raised it to 17

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Esox obsessed on November 23, 2020, 08:56:24 AM
They raised it to 17
When did they raise it? Are they still limited to 10 horse power? I always thought they were 2 lakes made for 14 footers, neither one is very big and coupled with areas by the damns that you can't fish they even smaller, It's been a very long time since I could fish them, they were always quiet not many folks out but I know the kayakers found them.
Rodney

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 24, 2020, 06:30:56 AM
When did they raise it? Are they still limited to 10 horse power? I always thought they were 2 lakes made for 14 footers, neither one is very big and coupled with areas by the damns that you can't fish they even smaller, It's been a very long time since I could fish them, they were always quiet not many folks out but I know the kayakers found them.
Rodney
Still limited on horsepower but they raised it this year

Oldfart9999

It'll be interesting to see how many go to a 17 footer still able to run just a 10 horse power, it'll be a slow boat for sure. I always figured that a 14 footer and a 10 horse power, either a job or semi "V" turned into a mini bass boat.
Rodney

Sent from my DL1016 using Tapatalk

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 24, 2020, 11:58:10 AM
It'll be interesting to see how many go to a 17 footer still able to run just a 10 horse power, it'll be a slow boat for sure. I always figured that a 14 footer and a 10 horse power, either a job or semi "V" turned into a mini bass boat.
Rodney

Sent from my DL1016 using Tapatalk
Trolling motors too