Garmin Livescope

Started by Bassinkorea, November 24, 2020, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

that's cool. I didn't realize it could she such shallow items.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

geneinnc

Boys i got schooled today! My buddy that talked me into Livescope and the Ultrex took me fishing today. All I heard all day was "fish following, he backed off! Here's another fish on!!!!!

Final score: Robbie: 10
                      Gene:      0

I'm fishing the same water fishing with the same lures!!

Robbie NEVER TOOK HIS EYES OFF THE SCREEN. Video game fishing at its finest. I CAN NOT WAIT til mine arrives.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

Forgive me for my comment but there is something very sad about this kind of fishing.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 13, 2020, 10:55:32 AM
that's cool. I didn't realize it could she such shallow items.

Mike, the transducer angle can be changed easily just by twisting it to give you several different angles. In that photo it was just in regular forward facing position. Just by twisting it a few notches, it gives you a "down" view to see an equal angle both forward and behind the sensor.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

geneinnc

Not to me Bud. It might be my engineering background but I love an edge in most anything I do.

I see where you're coming from though. If I was just fishing for fun, there is no way I would spend the money. Bottom line is it's going to be very difficult to compete without it. It's not going away, too many people have it. Is it any different than putting live wells with aeration in our boats to keep fish alive?
Trolling motors with GPS and spot lock?

Everything is subjective I guess?

lockinload

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 13, 2020, 05:36:38 PM
Forgive me for my comment but there is something very sad about this kind of fishing.

What would that be?  Do you use a scope on your rifle when you hunt?  Do you use a range finder?  Binoculars?
I guarantee you there will be plenty of days when a fisherman with Live Scope gets skunked.

fishin couillon

Quote from: Bassinkorea on December 10, 2020, 01:44:46 AMI don't yet. I checked on the interweb and in the manual and it appears that I should be able to record the screen in action, but I couldn't figure it out last weekend. I will work on it.
If I can't figure it out I will just record it with my GoPro or phone.

I plan to make a YouTube video on it.
BK, with the Echomap Plus units, you can not record Livescope. Only recording on that unit is the 2d sonar. You would have to stepup to the GPSMap series to record Livescope from the unit. Otherwise you will have to setup your camera or phone looking at the screen as you mentioned.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: fishin couillon on December 13, 2020, 08:35:30 PM
BK, with the Echomap Plus units, you can not record Livescope. Only recording on that unit is the 2d sonar. You would have to stepup to the GPSMap series to record Livescope from the unit. Otherwise you will have to setup your camera or phone looking at the screen as you mentioned.

Yes correct. I tried everything this weekend to try and record the screen and I finally realized it is not possible. I will do it the old school way and position a camera in front the unit and do my best to not get any glare and shadows on the recording.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: lockinload on December 13, 2020, 06:36:15 PM
What would that be?  Do you use a scope on your rifle when you hunt?  Do you use a range finder?  Binoculars?
I guarantee you there will be plenty of days when a fisherman with Live Scope gets skunked.

I am kind of an old fashion sort of guy that respects the way things used to be done.  Know the water, the forage, the flora, and basic habitat.  Then go fishing.  I think the new electronics are awesome for someone who may be a competitive angler.  I am not one of those.  Just a person fishing to enjoy the sport for what it is.  Most likely that is because of my age and the desire to take things easy and as they come so to speak. 

Nope, I don't hunt or have a rifle so no scope needed.  Don't have rangefinder optics of any type.  Just basic electronics on my boat that I really don't pay much attention to except for depth, temperature and a bit of down scan. More of a navigation tool for me I guess.

The reason I think some items are sad is the statement where someone spent the day staring at the electronics.  That would defeat my whole reason to be on the water just to enjoy the beauty of nature and to celebrate the simple things of life.  The only competition in my boat is between me and the fish and thats it.  The fish usually wins but I don't mind a bit for the most part.

lockinload

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 13, 2020, 09:05:10 PM
I am kind of an old fashion sort of guy that respects the way things used to be done.  Know the water, the forage, the flora, and basic habitat.  Then go fishing.  I think the new electronics are awesome for someone who may be a competitive angler.  I am not one of those.  Just a person fishing to enjoy the sport for what it is.  Most likely that is because of my age and the desire to take things easy and as they come so to speak. 

Nope, I don't hunt or have a rifle so no scope needed.  Don't have rangefinder optics of any type.  Just basic electronics on my boat that I really don't pay much attention to except for depth, temperature and a bit of down scan. More of a navigation tool for me I guess.

The reason I think some items are sad is the statement where someone spent the day staring at the electronics.  That would defeat my whole reason to be on the water just to enjoy the beauty of nature and to celebrate the simple things of life.  The only competition in my boat is between me and the fish and thats it.  The fish usually wins but I don't mind a bit for the most part.

I get what you are saying to a certain point but let's not forget, we catch and release for the most part.  It's not like its raping the waters of fish.  I have never used live scope but what an awesome tool and I do plan on getting one soon. 

Pro Reel

If it's mounted on the TM shaft, how does the motor not block part of the straight down view? Mine isn't here yet but researching mounting options. Thanks

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 31, 2020, 05:46:35 PM
If it's mounted on the TM shaft, how does the motor not block part of the straight down view? Mine isn't here yet but researching mounting options. Thanks

I responded to you in the other thread, but basically the transducer has a slight offset angle.

Bassinkorea

I uploaded a very short clip of my very first use of the LiveScope with it's factory settings and my absolute lack of knowledge with this new system, and you can see just how good and useful this system really is.

https://youtu.be/D4HhFJCV_4s

geneinnc

Guys if you are wanting to try livescope at sometime BPS shipped my Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 93SV yesterday after several weeks of taking my order then canceling it, I tried again and got the shipping confirmation yesterday.

Half price $599. Its a really nice unit with the UHD even without Panoptix. If you ever decide to buy the Livescope you are ready to go.

lockinload

Ordered my livescope yesterday. 93usv, ships on Monday.  $2129.00 seems like a decent price for the bundle.

Mike Cork

Quote from: lockinload on January 09, 2021, 06:58:02 AM
Ordered my livescope yesterday. 93usv, ships on Monday.  $2129.00 seems like a decent price for the bundle.

That's one of the best prices I've heard of. Congratulations :toot:

Gonna be a while for me, Christmas left my fishing funds account flattened  :'(

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

skeeter_bite

NM
G Loomis rods and Shimano reels!

lockinload

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 10, 2021, 01:40:41 PM
That's one of the best prices I've heard of. Congratulations :toot:

Gonna be a while for me, Christmas left my fishing funds account flattened  :'(

GPS store, they had it for $2099.00 before Christmas with a $200.00 rebate but I couldn't get the funds together and when I finally had the money they were sold out and had to wait for the fish finders to come back into stock.  I just got my shipping confirmation...It's on its way gentlemen.  Tomorrow I'm going to run some power to the bow and get er ready for install.  One last component to buy,
https://stowawaymounts.com/  and boat should be complete and ready to slay....well other than the lower I'm waiting for from Mercury/China/BFE.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: lockinload on January 11, 2021, 06:43:48 PM
I just got my shipping confirmation...It's on its way gentlemen.  Tomorrow I'm going to run some power to the bow and get er ready for install.

Great news, I'm happy for you. Can't wait to see your setup  ~c~

Nutt

I should have ordered the Livescope instead of the Elite FS with the Active Target bundle.  I have no idea when I will receive mine.  Looks like Lowrance got in over their head and took all of these orders to compete with Garmin with no clue how they were going to fill them.  It was supposed to take a couple of weeks, but now, the website where I bought it says possibly by April.  I would cancel and order the Garmin, but I already bought a 12" Lowrance graph for the console so I could have everything linked together.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

geneinnc

I have everything here to do the project.....save a boat that runs..
Mobile Marine had 25 jobs before they even start on mine. Unacceptable. I checked with Rivers Edge and they are a stocking Suzuki dealer now. I told them the problem, the age on my 150 and they never hesitated. My fishing buddy towed me in this morning and I barely made it. $45 prop nut and 3 blade prop sleeps with the fishes! Expensive morning. I decided on Ultrex, Garmin ECHOMAP uhd 93sv livescope and a 2nd 93sv on the console.

I have not decided if I'm keeping the Lowrance HDS 9 units or selling them. I have all 4 might as well use them. I finally got the Lowrance dialed in and the fish reveal upgrade made a huge difference. No I can't see a live view of the fish moving but it shows bait really nicely now and the arches are hugely improved.

I cannot wait!

skeeter_bite

Has anybody used both the livescope forward and perspective views yet, and do you have a preference and why?
G Loomis rods and Shimano reels!

geneinnc

Quote from: skeeter_bite on January 14, 2021, 09:31:40 AM
Has anybody used both the livescope forward and perspective views yet, and do you have a preference and why?
I have powered up both units on a 12V ham radio power supply trying to get used to a non Lowrance product. Ill see if thats possible in Garmin's demo mode.

fishin couillon

I have....they both have their time and place.....forward lets you see the whole water column in any depths as you scan around.....perspective gives you more of a wide view in shallow water. You can see fish in both views.....with the Garmin perspective bracket, you cant adjust so its better to use in 10' or less, the deeper you go it will just give you the water column with no bottom. There are 3rd party brackets that would allow you to adjust the angle while in perspective mode and use in deeper water....i had the bracket since it came out and use forward more than perspective.

Bassinkorea

I have not used the perspective mode yet, but I do have the bracket and will be installing it soon. I fish deep water mostly, but perspective mode will/should come in handy during the spring / spawn.