Protecting rod guides from swivels

Started by Esox obsessed, December 05, 2020, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

Out of bad habit because im looking for next spot to cast i end up reeling the swivel to the rod guide and was wondering if there was anything I could use ti protect the rod guide from it

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on December 05, 2020, 05:30:06 AM
Out of bad habit because im looking for next spot to cast i end up reeling the swivel to the rod guide and was wondering if there was anything I could use ti protect the rod guide from it

Besides a bead, I can't think of anything else. Being conscientous of the swivel will be your best bet.

loomisguy

I would suggest paying attention to where the swivel is and stop before it gets there .

Princeton_Man

Quote from: loomisguy on December 05, 2020, 06:01:37 AM
I would suggest paying attention to where the swivel is and stop before it gets there .
X2

Can't tell you how many times a bass has followed my lure all the way in and I've been able to facilitate the bite.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Fun4me

How are you using the swivel? Is it to connect a leader, line twist management, etc.?

If you're using it for a Carolina rig or something like that, a bead or rubber o-ring contraption is all I can think of.

ike8120

A bead or just pay attention when you see the swivel.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Fun4me on December 05, 2020, 10:06:09 AM
How are you using the swivel? Is it to connect a leader, line twist management, etc.?

If you're using it for a Carolina rig or something like that, a bead or rubber o-ring contraption is all I can think of.
Just a cheap steel leader fish in major pike areas

Esox obsessed

bigjim5589

Pay attention & correct the bad habits.  ~shade

It's highly probable that most of us have done that at one time or another.  ::)

The only way to correct from doing it, is to pay attention. It's a thought process that you have to form into a good habit.

Adding something that may dampen the affect will only be a short term fix, until you forget to do that too.

Better to strive for the long term, and fix the problem, not simply put a bandaid on it.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pferox

Here you go, get the 7mmx10mm size. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/pucci-soft-egg-beads

they are a great way to remind yourself not to over reel your line.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

merc1997

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 05, 2020, 06:00:56 AM
Besides a bead, I can't think of anything else. Being conscientous of the swivel will be your best bet.
this.  and, i will add that after you have replaced the tip a few times, it should then be ingrained in your brain to not do that.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Esox obsessed

Quote from: merc1997 on December 06, 2020, 09:23:33 AM
this.  and, i will add that after you have replaced the tip a few times, it should then be ingrained in your brain to not do that.

bo
Believe me im working on this habit but the bead is to help

merc1997

On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

When you get the lure back to the boat look at the tip to be sure you don't over reel, it's the best way.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.