Hickory 12/10

Started by geneinnc, December 10, 2020, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneinnc

The water is finally clearing off to a heavy stain. Bass fishing the first 2 hours was a bust so we headed down river. I looked down the main channel and saw the birds diving! My buddy couldn't figure out the fuss and why we were going worp 9! I grabbed  the rod with the XZONE chartreuse tube and threw it as far as I could because the Lowrance  showed solid bait fish with BIG fish underneath. I let it sink then ripped it straight up, then let it sink again, but it did not drop much. Fish on, and as I set the hook I told my buddy to grab the net because I have a striper on. I think David was more nervous than me, I don't think he had ever seen a striper. After a huge fight it finally showed some signs of fatigue. When I finally got it turned David did a great job with the net because the fish did not hit.

I handed my rod to David and told him to throw it to the same place. He did and was hooked up immediately! He said he had one on but smaller. As soon as he said that the fish headed to China! After a quick refresher on keeping the rod up and letting the drag work the fight was on.

I grabbed the big net and had a blast watching that smaller than yours fish dragging David over the lower reaches of Lake Hickory! Next thing was net that fish!

Well that was that when the wind came up. End result was personal best for us both and the largest freshwater fish each!

What a day!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

That is so awesome. I used to be able to catch big stripers on a lake out west. I miss that. They are pure freight trains of the water...

Congrats on the catches :toot:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

geneinnc

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 11, 2020, 09:16:58 AM
That is so awesome. I used to be able to catch big stripers on a lake out west. I miss that. They are pure freight trains of the water...

Congrats on the catches :toot:
Not as ez as it looks. First time I've seen birds diving, fish around the bait ball and fish that were not in the 3lb or smaller range. Biggest stripers stayed at the upper end in the tail race. We were about 4 miles from lowest end of the river. If this keeps ill be putting rod holders on!

Mike Cork

Ahhh no rod holders needed unless your thinking about trolling....

Every Thanksgiving my father would take me to a lake called San Antonio in Central California. They stocked it with trout through the winter months and started at the first of November. This lake had the stripers in it and they loved trout. We would actual fish for them with extra large zarra spooks and bass gear. Biggest one I caught was 21 pounds and WOW as a 15 year old kid I thought I had to the plug to the lake LOL

Enjoy, you should be able to stay on them for a while as long as the weather holds out

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and them are some nice looking fish. ~c~ ~c~ A lot of fun to catch also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

geneinnc

Like Mike said, they bite should continue if the weather doesn't change. When I put in at lunch, temperature was the same, same clear sky. I got near yesterday's spot and the birds were still there. Lots of bait with big fish under, and a few birds diving. Yes!No. Cloud cover moved in, wind came up, bait scattered and the dish headed to 40 feet and points further. I decided to troll a deep Crankbait while I ate my lunch and looked around. Nothing. I started jigging the tube. Using a white swim jig. Not one thing. 4 other professional deep fisher were out, planer boards and all. A puzzled what happened???? Look from everyone. I gave up and tried to find some bass and ill fish the tournament tomorrow...wrong.

Mike, you were so right my friend. I got sunburn and this time of year it could have been frost bite!

That's about it folks.

Rangerman

Good Hit they are fun, kind of sad I remember when Norman had so Racing Bass with stripes lo lo

BassmanRudy

Stripers are so much to catch/fight!! They make massive runs and if current is present they'll take forever to reel in.

We have hybrids stocked in some lakes around here and man they'll sure make you think you've hooked a record Largemouth for a few seconds!

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

geneinnc

Quote from: Donald Garner on December 12, 2020, 11:01:37 AM
Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also.
Nice to do another report. Hard the believe the water is still stained. I think we are closing on 4 weeks since the rains ended.