Cleaning Bearings

Started by ike8120, December 11, 2020, 02:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ike8120

Any suggestions on cleaning bearings? Is an ultra sonic cleaner necessary? Any recommendations on what to buy?
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Mike Cork

No it's not necessary but it does aid to breaking up the sediment that gets in them.

A baby food jar and some Rosonol Lighter Fluid is all you need, or Coleman fuel (white gas).

Make sure the bearing doesn't have an orange seal or some other crazy shielding that might melt in the cleaner. 

Let the bearing soak. Then swirl around and let soak. I would then take the bearings out and put them on the end of a pencil and spin them with a flick of my finger and then re soak. Only a few minutes are needed. When the bearing will spin to your liking, blow it dry and put a drop of oil on it.

I use a magnasonic cleaner now, I don't remember how much it cost.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ike8120

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 11, 2020, 02:26:38 PM
No it's not necessary but it does aid to breaking up the sediment that gets in them.

A baby food jar and some Rosonol Lighter Fluid is all you need, or Coleman fuel (white gas).

Make sure the bearing doesn't have an orange seal or some other crazy shielding that might melt in the cleaner. 

Let the bearing soak. Then swirl around and let soak. I would then take the bearings out and put them on the end of a pencil and spin them with a flick of my finger and then re soak. Only a few minutes are needed. When the bearing will spin to your liking, blow it dry and put a drop of oil on it.

I use a magnasonic cleaner now, I don't remember how much it cost.

Thank you Mike
Gary (ike8120)

Oldfart9999

I use a Dremel with a machine screw small enough to fit the bearing, finger tight on the nut dip the bearing in the solvent and turn it on for 10 seconds, works like a charm.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

ike8120

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on December 21, 2020, 06:29:49 AM
I use a Dremel with a machine screw small enough to fit the bearing, finger tight on the nut dip the bearing in the solvent and turn it on for 10 seconds, works like a charm.
Rodney

Thanks for the tip
Gary (ike8120)

ike8120

Thanks for the tips

I just soak in some acetone for about 1/2 hour, then let air dry, blow out with some  compressed air, a drop of oil . Make sure they spin freely then back in the reel.
Gary (ike8120)