Why would you mount a livescope to a motor shaft?

Started by lockinload, December 22, 2020, 08:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lockinload

I see people mounting their livescope to the shaft of their trolling motor.  While it would certainly be a solid platform, wouldn't you lose control of it?  It would be constantly turning with anchor lock engaged and you would lose the ability to scan 360 degrees.  Am I missing something here?  I am going to get one soon and looking at all options.  Seems that an independent deployment system is far superior. What says the hive?

Mike Cork

For me, bass fishing, I live with my foot on the trolling motor. I simply would use the pedal to control the direction of the scope. I don't do spot lock.

As far as 360 degrees of view, I'm used to rotating the foot control around to get the direction I need. 40 years on the same brand so my brain doesn't consciously think about what my foot needs to do it just does it.

I can see the benefit of a separate deployment system if you plan to anchor in place and then direct the scope to look in various directions. Keep in mind that takes a hand from your rod and reel. Not an issue for many. Here in the deep south a hand control trolling motor is still popular.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

I agree with Mike on the TM is where id want mine so I can scan or watch what I wanted. Might think differently if I had one and tried this but I see a lot of folks rigged this way.

fishin couillon

I have my LS on my Ultrex shaft.  There are PLENTY of 3rd party poles that can be mounted on gunnels, deck, etc. for the transducer.  I bass fish year round with the exception of sac-a-lait fishing in the winter when trolling.  In bass fishing, if you are always casting/flipping/pitching, i dont have time to grab a pole and turn it around, i just use my foot. If using spot lock, then its useless cause its not facing the target you are fishing.  I guess there are trade offs on mounting positions and depending on what type of fishing you want to do.

Example, this weekend i was sac-a-lait fishing (trolling), easy to watch your jigs and catch fish, but i came upon some brush piles and put jig poles up and grabed the spinning reel and caught fish off bpiles. There was a little wind so it was difficult to stay on the brush without spot lock, yeah i wish i could have had a hand control for transducer but just the way it is.  Maybe one day i'll have something where i can do both. There are lots of work arounds on Youtube that guys come up with.

Here is one of the best ones i've seen and the guy on video said this week they are working on improving that design, i think to be released next month.

Bassinkorea

I have mine mounted on my trolling motor shaft, which is 'good' until there is any significant wind. To overcome this simply, I put a waypoint on the spot I want the boat to be positioned then I can scan the area without the spot lock, but can then get back to the exact boat position using the waypoint.
Or, simple position my boat exactly downwind so my spotlocked Ultrex is always facing the area I'm looking at.

One awesome solution I saw a Korean angler use, was to take an old Minn Kota PowerDrive TM, remove the motor from the bottom of the shaft and mount the LS transducer to the shaft. He then uses the flat PowerDrive pedal on the front deck to independently move the LS transducer. This does make the bow area a little more congested, but gives him a really functional system.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

lockinload

Quote from: Bassinkorea on December 22, 2020, 04:55:26 PM
I have mine mounted on my trolling motor shaft, which is 'good' until there is any significant wind. To overcome this simply, I put a waypoint on the spot I want the boat to be positioned then I can scan the area without the spot lock, but can then get back to the exact boat position using the waypoint.
Or, simple position my boat exactly downwind so my spotlocked Ultrex is always facing the area I'm looking at.

One awesome solution I saw a Korean angler use, was to take an old Minn Kota PowerDrive TM, remove the motor from the bottom of the shaft and mount the LS transducer to the shaft. He then uses the flat PowerDrive pedal on the front deck to independently move the LS transducer. This does make the bow area a little more congested, but gives him a really functional system.

As a complete newbie bass fisherman, the "wind" has been my problem.  Colorado can blow...alot.  Trying to stay on a spot with a foot pedal and fish has been exhausting for me, hence my purchase of a Terrova and spot lock.  BTW, just mounted the new trolling motor yesterday.  It was a chore, as there is no room to get under the bow, but I got er done.  Ordering my Garmin system tomorrow.  $200 rebate until the end of the month.

lockinload

Quote from: fishin couillon on December 22, 2020, 04:07:09 PM
I have my LS on my Ultrex shaft.  There are PLENTY of 3rd party poles that can be mounted on gunnels, deck, etc. for the transducer.  I bass fish year round with the exception of sac-a-lait fishing in the winter when trolling.  In bass fishing, if you are always casting/flipping/pitching, i dont have time to grab a pole and turn it around, i just use my foot. If using spot lock, then its useless cause its not facing the target you are fishing.  I guess there are trade offs on mounting positions and depending on what type of fishing you want to do.

Example, this weekend i was sac-a-lait fishing (trolling), easy to watch your jigs and catch fish, but i came upon some brush piles and put jig poles up and grabed the spinning reel and caught fish off bpiles. There was a little wind so it was difficult to stay on the brush without spot lock, yeah i wish i could have had a hand control for transducer but just the way it is.  Maybe one day i'll have something where i can do both. There are lots of work arounds on Youtube that guys come up with.

Here is one of the best ones i've seen and the guy on video said this week they are working on improving that design, i think to be released next month.

Your link certainly addresses the issue that I had with mounting to the trolling motor but that handle doesn't look very ergonomic.  I think I would prefer a clamp on, off the starboard side of the bow. I have seen a mounting system for the fish finder that looks very appealing and would complement the aforementioned mount for the transducer.

https://stowawaymounts.com/

Bassinkorea

Quote from: lockinload on December 22, 2020, 07:03:05 PM
As a complete newbie bass fisherman, the "wind" has been my problem.  Colorado can blow...alot.  Trying to stay on a spot with a foot pedal and fish has been exhausting for me, hence my purchase of a Terrova and spot lock.  BTW, just mounted the new trolling motor yesterday.  It was a chore, as there is no room to get under the bow, but I got er done.  Ordering my Garmin system tomorrow.  $200 rebate until the end of the month.

Having spot lock v's not having it in windy conditions is like night and day. Enjoy your new set-up!

ring fry

I bass fish exclusively.  Have had the transducer mounted on my trolling motor since the beginning.  First on a Fortrex, then for the last year I've had it on my Force with anchor lock.  Like Mike said I constantly have my foot on the trolling motor pedal looking around and fishing at the same time.  I wouldn't have it any other way for my type of fishing.

Retired grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Pro Reel

I have mine on order. I've been checking into this same issue. Its seems split on either mounting to TM shaft or independent. What I'm wondering about is how it can look straight down without the motor blocking it's view when mounted on shaft?

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 31, 2020, 05:44:36 PM
I have mine on order. I've been checking into this same issue. Its seems split on either mounting to TM shaft or independent. What I'm wondering about is how it can look straight down without the motor blocking it's view when mounted on shaft?

The transducer / bracket has a very slight offset angle, so it clears the motor on the TM. Mine is mounted about 8" above the motor and I have no issues with the view being blocked.

Pro Reel

I don't know what I'm going to do. I can see benefit and drawback with either mount option. I actually have brackets on my boat now at front corners for shallow anchor poles. I could easily mount a transducer pole in one of them. Summit has some really nice poles and adjustable brackets.

lockinload

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 31, 2020, 09:57:04 PM
I don't know what I'm going to do. I can see benefit and drawback with either mount option. I actually have brackets on my boat now at front corners for shallow anchor poles. I could easily mount a transducer pole in one of them. Summit has some really nice poles and adjustable brackets.

I have an idea on how build one using Ram parts, some aluminum poles and a clamp.  I would mount it off the port side of the bow.  Waiting to order my echomap and transducer, suppose to be back in stock with in the next week. Hopefully I can share the design.  Necessity is the mother of invention.

lockinload

Well well, guess what I found right here in Colorado Springs.  These look very nice and modular.

Not a 100% sure on the mount, even though it looks solid but I really like the pole and the design of the tiller handle. 

https://fishingspecialties.com/

@bassinkorea

BassmanRudy

^^ now those look legit!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Bassinkorea

Yes, they do look good. I am still trying to figure out what kind of mounting system I will end up with. I think I need a bit more on-the-water experience with it on my TM before I decide if I want an independent mounting system like this one.

lockinload

I went by the vendor today and checked out the products.  Great guys running this small business. Hard core fishermen and trying to grow this business.  Very nice product line and lots of options.  If you have a tracker boat with the rails on the inside they have a bracket that will fit in there to mount the pole to.  They have an extendable tiller also for another 10 dollars.  Definitely what I am going to buy when I'm ready.

Bassinkorea

Pro Reel

I went ahead and ordered the full mount system from summit fishing. Just think it will fit my style of fishing better than trolling motor mount.

lockinload

Quote from: Pro Reel on January 09, 2021, 10:56:56 AM
I went ahead and ordered the full mount system from summit fishing. Just think it will fit my style of fishing better than trolling motor mount.

I picked mine up the other day, waiting on some Yak trak to mount under the gunnel inside.  I bought the L shaped bracket that mounts to the Yak track.  If everything shows up this week I might even be able to get in the water as we might have a few days in the 50s at the end of the week.