Choosing the Right Combo for You

Started by Bud Kennedy, December 27, 2020, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Most certainly all of us have our own preferences when making our choices for rods and reels.  The tackle industry has a plethora of products to satisfy just about any needs or preferences that the average angler may have.  Many of our choices may be centered along the lines of acquisition cost while others may be dependent upon our individual set of skills.  Some of our preferences were developed by years of trial and error by trying everything that comes down the pike.

One of my mental blocks is the use of spinning equipment.  Since I grew up in the northern climes, I learned about bass fishing while using spinning rods and reels.  I used this style of equipment until we moved here to the south.  Now the only thing I use is a casting rod and reel and seem to have no need for spinning equipment of any sort.  The main reason is that with today's modern tackle a proper casting set up with the correct rod can meet all of my needs even when throwing very light tackle.  To be honest, I don't even own a spinning set up at this particular time.  The Mrs. however, only uses spinning equipment in spite of my encouragement to her to learn to use a bait caster.  I guess this is a demonstration of her personal preference and I must realize it is her choice. 

If I have learned anything, I have learned that not all reels perform well on all rods.  The marriage of these two products can make a difference in the overall performance of your selection.  This does not mean that the rod or the reel that does not perform is a piece of junk.  It just indicates that they don't play well with each other.  I like to tell the story of my most favorite combo. I have a custom rod made by Lee Smith.  I usually call this rod my short blue rod.  Aside from being a work of art, it has a feel like not other.  It wasn't always that way.  Originally, I had a Lew's BB-1 paired with this rod and it was a total failure as a working tool for my particular skill level.  The reel was very good and the rod was very good but I just could not make them work correctly. This combo made me feel like I was the backlash king of the lake.  Upon encouragement from other site members, I switched to the Daiwa SVTW series of casting reels and my backlash problems disappeared and now my short blue rod is clearly my most favorite of all of my rods.  The difference turned out to be not only the SV spool but a more basic change to the line angle as it enters the first guide.  The foot of the Daiwa allows the reel to mount closer to the rod whereas the Lew's was slightly higher making the line angle much more severe and causing unnecessary line friction.  Well, that's what I believe and all I know is that the marriage to the rod is now a match made in heaven.

The fact is that my current rod and reel selections include a mix of my short blue rod and a series of Dobyns rods all married to Daiwa SVTW reels.  I can throw just about any type of lure in about any type of presentation without a single problem.  This makes me question why would I even consider adding a spinning combo to my stash.  I just don't see the advantage.  Perhaps someone here can explain why adding a spinning set up would be beneficial.  As previously stated, these are my choices and your personal preferences may be quite different.

FD

I can't find a reason either Bud.  I have the ability to pair a purpose built rod with a medium quality reel and can throw weightless flukes into the wind. 

I do own several spinning setups but they are for guests on the boat...

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

zippyduck

I to use almost all casting, as I can throw anything on them. The only time I revert back to spinning gear is for dropping baits right under the boat. Like blade baits and dropshots. This is so much easier to get the bait down to the bottom faster and with out any overruns.
I also throw small spinners and spybaits on them because of a smoother drag on spinning reels. Just a preference to me.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

caddyjoe77

i use them for shakeyheads.  No particular reason other than thats the way I have always done it.

another application, as mentioned is spybaits, and maybe really light balsa baits like a shad rap
BeerMe

Oldfart9999

I use both, among other reasons I find it much easier to have a bait drop straight down or even go backwards with spinning and dropshot is easier. Bubbashot is done on a baitcaster in grass.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jwkelley51

I can face into the wind and throw chug bugs, spook jrs, jerkbaits, grubs etc on pretty much any medium spinning set up without issue for years. I guess I could throw flukes and wacky rigs on baitcasters but I doubt I could slide them 20 ft. under a dock. I never tried using 10/15 lb. braid on a baitcaster but once..it wasn't  pretty. If I had known which rods to buy baitcasters could probably work fine but any medium spinning rod will do it and I got so many weak spots in my game I can't afford to mess with what's working.

Pferox

Now that I'm Saltwater Fishing, most of my bait casters are by the wayside. Why?  Basically it is easier to take care of sealed spinning gear than baitcasting gear.  Salt gets everywhere in em and are a dog in maintenance, whereas spinning gear are pretty much fish, rinse, repeat.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

The Rooster

I'm finding that I like spinning gear more and more. I once had quite a few spinning rods when I first got started. They were cheaper to get than baitcasters so I only had one main baitcasting combo beside about 5 spinning combos. Eventually I started getting more casting gear and phasing out the spinning rods just cause I got better at using the one I had and I just liked how it looked and felt. No fishing related reason at all, just preference.

But over time the way I hold a baitcast rod caused my wrist to sometimes ache. I could probably help that some with lighter gear, although mine are not considered really heavy at only 7.3 oz., but it's not strictly the weight. It's the position of my hand on the rod as I fish. I also did keep at least one spinning rod around for light weight baits and for use with techniques that I just always considered better suited for spinning rods by the way that I held them. I have noticed recently that I'm now trying to use that rod for more and more stuff due to comfort, so it looks like I'm making the move towards using spinning gear again as a choice over baitcasters. For the first time in years I bought a new spinning rod just for crankbaits.

Capt. BassinLou

Both types of combo's play an important role in an angler's "tool box". Anglers are missing out if their limiting themselves to only one type of rod and reel combo. That's my .02 

jeffturner92

I have just recently figured this out. My abu Garcia max pro is my favorite bait caster but I got it paired with a vendetta and it cast like a dream. My lees reel, I do love but the lews rod I have it paired with just does add up to the combination i was wanting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk