Type of split rings

Started by Esox obsessed, January 13, 2021, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

I made a forum about what brand split rings to get and ended up with worths split rings and was wondering which type they make would be best in terms of strength and durability

Polaris425

I know a lot of people like those Norman's brand rings.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

bigjim5589

I think that you'll find that most stainless steel split rings will be about the same breaking strength per size, no matter what brand name is on them.

Worth manufactures the rings, and many other brands only relabel and package them, getting them from various manufacturers.

Spro probably manufactures theirs, since they're a part of Gamakatsu.

American Fishing Wire likely makes their split rings too, but I don't know that to be a fact.

I don't know if Wolverine makes their rings, but suspect that they do, and they're popular with big game lure users.

If you understand metals, the actual wire type and diameter used is limited, so they're all using a similar wire if the rings are stainless steel. Stainless steel is made in various types, but not all are used for making the wires. Of course the origin of the wire may have some bearing on the quality.

I think I had mentioned too in your other posted question, that there are spring steel split rings that are plated for corrosion resistance. Copper or zinc are good for corrosion resistance, and a spring steel ring will be much stronger than a stainless steel ring in the same size. However, they do eventually succumb to rusting.

Brass rings are also available too, but brass is not as strong. They're mostly used for jewelry where the extra strength isn't needed.

Also keep in mind that split rings are not only made for fishing tackle purposes. So, some of the manufactures are likely making them in various metals for other uses too. If you stay with known brands, that do cater to fishing tackle makers, you're probably going to get a decent split ring if you use an appropriate size.

I think that I had also mentioned in your other post, that I'll usually buy the "heavy" version of split rings, since they're made with a larger diameter wire for the split ring size, which improves the strength. Unfortunately, they're not made in all sizes, and some don't fit well on smaller lures. If you're using them on larger lures, they're a great choice, but you may have to experiment to see what fits on your lures. I use sizes from 4 to 8 generally on the larger lures.

I've had some split rings fail, and mainly because they were too small, Lure makers don't always use the appropriate size, as using a smaller ring cuts down on costs, and often looks better on the lure. It may test at a minimum breaking strength, but testing and field use puts different strains on the rings. I have some lures, that look like the rings aren't sized properly, because the rings are larger. Those are rings I had replaced because the originals, deformed too easily when just changing hooks. That's a good indication they're not sized properly.

If you want extra strength and durability, you may need to go to a larger size ring too.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Esox obsessed