Need guidance....

Started by Blacknredflake, March 10, 2021, 05:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknredflake

Father in Law letting me have my way with his 10' Weldbilt aluminum boat. So Im making a casting deck and adding things here and there.

But Im wanting to get a Depth/Fish finder for it since Ill ve using it in small bass tournaments.

But having zero experience with these things. Not sure which or what to get.

Wanting to keep the cost under $200. Thats my limit with it. So that should narrow options.

But what would yall think is the best bang for my buck?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

FD

A Humminbird Helix 5 G2 will get you Down Imaging and 2D sonar for around $230 ish.

If you could swing $300 you could get the sonar GPS combo so you could save waypoints and tracks.

Either one will last forever and be able to move to your next boat. Trust me, there is always a next boat...

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment.    FDx Custom Rods.   CPFLURES.COM

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Bud Kennedy

It would be my recommendation to go with a product like the humingbird Piranah max series.  These are available depending upon model from $100 to $150.  For a basic set up they perform well and may just be ideal for your very small boat.

A lot depends upon the resources will have to power the device and what you are going to be using as a motor.  If you are only going with an electric trolling motor or will it have a small outboard.  Then you have to deal with how many batteries and where are you going to put them.  If using a small outboard is the gas tank built in or a separate tank.  All of these things take up space and that is something you don't have a lot of.  I encourage you to think about this deal as a total package and what it means on a 10' boat.

Blacknredflake

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on March 10, 2021, 07:19:08 AM
It would be my recommendation to go with a product like the humingbird Piranah max series.  These are available depending upon model from $100 to $150.  For a basic set up they perform well and may just be ideal for your very small boat.

A lot depends upon the resources will have to power the device and what you are going to be using as a motor.  If you are only going with an electric trolling motor or will it have a small outboard.  Then you have to deal with how many batteries and where are you going to put them.  If using a small outboard is the gas tank built in or a separate tank.  All of these things take up space and that is something you don't have a lot of.  I encourage you to think about this deal as a total package and what it means on a 10' boat.
It has a 6hp Outboard on it now but is getting a 9.9 put on soon.

Has a foot control Motorguide mounted already with 2 batteries.

Was considering using the drybox method of housing a battery. I have a buddy that builds battery packs using LiPo batteries and was going to look into maybe getting one.

Been looking at the Garmin Striker 4Plus but alas, its all greek to me lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

ring fry

I will say that the Striker is very easy to navigate through the menus.  Garmin seem to be the easiest to operate for those of us who are technologically challanged.

Retired grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

coldfront

Quote from: ring fry on March 10, 2021, 08:27:39 PM
I will say that the Striker is very easy to navigate through the menus.  Garmin seem to be the easiest to operate for those of us who are technologically challanged.

Retired grass grower

none of them are that technologically challenged.  and there's are myriad youtube videos to address any questions, units you might encounter.

if you're looking for a bit 'more' in terms of sonar...don't overlook a 3, 4 year old model some guy is selling to justify his upgrade.  they go cheap.  and you might find yourself in a bigger screen.