Shift Interlock Switch going bad

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 18, 2021, 08:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

My 2007 Expedition has developed a problem where the shifter won't shift out of Park.  Most likely the shift interlock solenoid or switch is packing it in.  Dropping it off at the Ford dealer in the morning.  I guess this is just another of those things that happen to older vehicles.

Mike Cork

Hard to say a 2007 is an older vehicle  :surrender:

keep us posted...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Deadeye

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 18, 2021, 11:36:17 AM
Hard to say a 2007 is an older vehicle  :surrender:

keep us posted...

LOL. But it seems that way Mike.

I remember if you bought a 5-10 year old car with 50,000 miles or more on it Folks would say what a hunk of junk. Course the Motors usually blew by 75-80,000.

Bud I got a 2007 Mitsubishi Endeavor suv I bought new. It now has over 165,000 miles on it and basically runs like brand new. In fact It has NEVER had the Plugs Changed or Wires. I asked the Service Manager about if I should get it done (It costs about $1200 to do the plugs because of all the crap they have to take off it get to them and then there is a history of the plugs breaking off inside the heads) and he said "truthfully you really don't need to worry about it until it tells you you need to. I know I'm not supposed to tell you that but those will run forever".

Few things here and there but mostly been a worry free vehicle. And of course they don't make them anymore.

Bud Kennedy

Deadeye, the Expedition has also been a very trouble free vehicle for me.  It has 116,000 miles and still runs like a new one.  Just some odds and ends need attention from time to time and of course good maintenance is the key. Unfortunately most miles these days are local and of course those are the hardest miles.

Princeton_Man

Moving parts wear out. I had a 2006 Toyota that I purchased new in 06. I gave the thing away about 9 months ago. During the time I owned it, I had to replace Serpentine, a battery, and an alternator, all withing 750,000 miles.  ~b~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Deadeye

Quote from: Princeton_Man link=topic=153955.msg1712769#msg1712769 dateurl=http://]]][/url]
Quote from: Princeton_Man link=topic=153955.msg1712769#msg1712769 dateurl][/url]=1611079174]
Moving parts wear out. I had a 2006 Toyota that I purchased new in 06. I gave the thing away about 9 months ago. During the time I owned it, I had to replace Serpentine, a battery, and an alternator, all withing 750,000 miles.  ~b~

Deadeye

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 19, 2021, 11:59:34 AM

Speaking of Toyota and Miles, I heard about then saw/read the Article of a Toyota Tundra with 1,000,000 Miles. Yes 1 Million Miles.

It was a Parts Delivery Vehicle that ran parts all over the country from Dealership to Dealership. I don't remember all the details, but do remember at 1 Million Miles Toyota called it back to the Factory to tear it down for Worn Parts Inspection.

They found very very little wear and most of the Engine Parts were still within Factory Specks for NEW PARTS.

Here is that Article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

It was pretty amazing to see just how far things have come from the 60'-70's where we talk of the days with the "good engines that had power" and call them the Muscle Car Days. Those engines were shot by 50-80,000 miles IF there was anything left of the body and it hadn't rusted out.

My SS Nova came from the Factory with a 2-barrel carb pushing 105 hp. Today a 4-cylinder from the Factory can be pushing 300 hp. Crazy .

Polaris425

On that model Ford there should be a fuse outside that controls the lock... if it ever locks on you and you can't get it out of park, pull the fuse and you're good to go.

The only downside is that it also operates the door dinger (keys in, lights on, etc...) so that won't work anymore.

It's most likely the switch on the foot pedal (unless you have bigger problems).

Speaking from experience ('97 F150, and '03 F150)
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Polaris425 on January 20, 2021, 08:40:50 AM
On that model Ford there should be a fuse outside that controls the lock... if it ever locks on you and you can't get it out of park, pull the fuse and you're good to go.

The only downside is that it also operates the door dinger (keys in, lights on, etc...) so that won't work anymore.

It's most likely the switch on the foot pedal (unless you have bigger problems).

Speaking from experience ('97 F150, and '03 F150)

Jon, as it turns out it was the switch down by the brake pedal.  It has now been repaired along with some other service I requested and will be picking the Expedition up this afternoon.  The repair charge was not all that bad but with the extra stuff I had taken care of it will still be about a $400 bill to pay.  Sure is a lot better than a car payment or buying a new vehicle. 

Polaris425

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 20, 2021, 08:53:44 AM

Jon, as it turns out it was the switch down by the brake pedal.  It has now been repaired along with some other service I requested and will be picking the Expedition up this afternoon.  The repair charge was not all that bad but with the extra stuff I had taken care of it will still be about a $400 bill to pay.  Sure is a lot better than a car payment or buying a new vehicle.

I got in the truck early one morning to head to work and it wouldn't shift out of park lol...  ~b~  I had to read through all the fuses in the book, turned out one operated the lock. So I pulled the fuse and off to work I went!!
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Deadeye on January 20, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
Speaking of Toyota and Miles, I heard about then saw/read the Article of a Toyota Tundra with 1,000,000 Miles. Yes 1 Million Miles.

It was a Parts Delivery Vehicle that ran parts all over the country from Dealership to Dealership. I don't remember all the details, but do remember at 1 Million Miles Toyota called it back to the Factory to tear it down for Worn Parts Inspection.

They found very very little wear and most of the Engine Parts were still within Factory Specks for NEW PARTS.

Here is that Article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

It was pretty amazing to see just how far things have come from the 60'-70's where we talk of the days with the "good engines that had power" and call them the Muscle Car Days. Those engines were shot by 50-80,000 miles IF there was anything left of the body and it hadn't rusted out.

My SS Nova came from the Factory with a 2-barrel carb pushing 105 hp. Today a 4-cylinder from the Factory can be pushing 300 hp. Crazy .
I remembered reading something about that in the past, but didn't see that article. They said that motor actually performed better on their dynamometer than it would have when it was new, probably because it was broken in. LOL

My old Toyota is still going strong and would probably make it to a million except that I gave it to my stepson. He'll probably wreck it long before it sees another 100k.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club