Cashion ICON Jerkbait Rod Thoughts

Started by caddyjoe77, January 20, 2021, 12:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyjoe77

After losing my pride and joy all around 6'9 Lee Smith Custom to a sticky fingers, I was looking for a rod that comes close to what I had.  After much re3search, I came across the Cashion rods and after listening to and reading a vast amount of information I decided to try out the jerkbait specific rod. 

The model I went with is the ITJ69MHXF.  I went with the Medium heavy because of the grass here on Gunt and its likely I will run into some kind of grass and I wanted to be able to rip the jerkbait as needed.

The tip is really fast, which is perfect for this application.  The tip "fast-ness" goes down I would say about 1/8th of the rod.  then we go into a nice bend to a little more than a 1/4 of the way and the rest of the rod is backbone.  So, it sort of feels like a stout cranking rod.  Hopefully that description makes sense.

sensitivity wise -- this thing is awesome!! the slightest tick of eel grass and I can feel it.  To me its almost as sensitive as a Megabass Orochi XX that I have several of. 

Weight wise:  Super light and controllable.  Not so light that it "feels hollow" in your hands but just about right.  The balance with a Daiwa Steez CT is really good too!! This is a pretty light reel by nature but I dont feel that there would be much of a difference in balance with a "standard weight" reel. 

It almost feels like a custom, to be honest.

The one thing that is kind of meh is the eyes dont seem to be constructed that well.  But, no matter as i like function over looks. 

With a jerkbait, I feel like its really easy to control the cadence of the bait, whether that is a jerk jerk jerk pause or a jerk pause jerk jerk.  It seems like its easy to keep a small bow or a bigger bow in your line is what I am trying to say so you can control the slashing action and length of the jerk. 

I have thrown some balsa flat sides on it and they cast well on this particular set up. 

Fish handling, no issues so far. 

other than that, just need more time with it
BeerMe

caddyjoe77

also, looking at their crankbait series too.  something to throw smaller cranks specifically -- 1.5's, flat sides, little john 50's for a reference size
BeerMe

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 20, 2021, 02:46:56 PM
Thanks for the review Joe!  ~beer~

Yeah. Thanks a lot.   :toot:  Always nice to read about something that isn't the same ole, same ole.  I've been impressed more than once when trying gear that no one else ever mentions.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on January 20, 2021, 02:07:03 PM
also, looking at their crankbait series too.  something to throw smaller cranks specifically -- 1.5's, flat sides, little john 50's for a reference size
I have the 7' MHM Icon that I am using for my squarebills, it is an awesome rod.  I can even throw 1.0's on it just fine, thought I might have to get the medium one for those but to my surprise it throws the smaller 1.0 great.  I am also planning on buying both the 7'6" cranking rods at some point also!

caddyjoe77

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on April 25, 2021, 07:40:48 PM
I have the 7' MHM Icon that I am using for my squarebills, it is an awesome rod.  I can even throw 1.0's on it just fine, thought I might have to get the medium one for those but to my surprise it throws the smaller 1.0 great.  I am also planning on buying both the 7'6" cranking rods at some point also!

thank you for that information!! I will look at that one for sure! What reel do you have it paired with?
BeerMe

FishinBuck07

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on May 03, 2021, 08:44:49 PM
Quote from: FishinBuck07 on April 25, 2021, 07:40:48 PM

thank you for that information!! I will look at that one for sure! What reel do you have it paired with?
I believe I have a Lews Tournament MB in 6.8;1 gear ratio on it.  It pairs up well with the rod and makes for a nice light package!

FlatsNBay

That's a great review. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk