Short Rods

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 26, 2020, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captsteve

Quote from: fishballer06 on March 12, 2020, 07:35:32 AM
Cutting the tip off of a rod blank is about the worst idea ever. Not only does it compromise the structural integrity of the entire blank, it also totally changes the power and action of a rod. I assure you that doing this will not leave you with "the same rod, but shorter". If you need short rods, then buy short rods.

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Deadeye

I have a shorter rod locker on my Starboard Side that only holds 7 ft at a max. 6'6" fits much better.

I have 2 of the Carbonlite Rods that are 6'6" in MH and they work great, both to fit in that box and for casting and catching fish.

As to cutting down longer rods. I have had broken tips and shorten it to re-tip. They work fine, but does change the "power" slightly. Doesn't effect it enough to worry me.

What works better though is to Remove the Butt Cap, cut the Butt End off to length, then remove enough of the handle Cover to expose the Blank that will allow you to slide the Butt Cap back on and silicone it back on. Works Great!

I've done two Rod that way to get them to fit into the Box and they still balance great and fish just fine. And Really unless your fishing for Thousands of Dollars every week, does a slightly "out of balance" rod really matter all that much?

To Bud, BPS offer several rods that come in 6 ft and 6 ft 6 inch lengths. I'm sure if you look a bit you will find what you need.

zippyduck

Fred,

I would pick a balanced cheap rod over an expensive high end rod that is not balanced.
Balance gives you more sensitivity and less fatigue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

FD

Not one "short rod" joke in the thread.

Y'all disappoint me...

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

RocBass

Quote from: zippyduck on March 11, 2020, 08:08:59 PM
That is going to throw the balance off. And that is the best part of a Dobyns rod. Also you will still have the same length from your hand to the tip which is probably the part that is more of a hassle in a yak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, if I have the same length from the hand to the tip, which is the fish fighting part - that is good and not the hassle part. Having a shorter handle is good in a kayak as longer handles get caught on PFD and other stuff - you have to experience it to know - like being in a Mercury space capsule.  A company in Wisconsin, offers a kayak series of rods, however they just shortened the rod handle very slightly but did not shorten the overall rod length; so no good.
If I shorten the handle on my SF711 by 4 or 5 inches, I will have a 6'8" or 6'9" rod with a 10" handle, which will be ideal for transporting in my vehicle and using in the kayak.

Quote from: Deadeye on March 12, 2020, 10:32:36 AM

What works better though is to Remove the Butt Cap, cut the Butt End off to length, then remove enough of the handle Cover to expose the Blank that will allow you to slide the Butt Cap back on and silicone it back on. Works Great!

And Really unless your fishing for Thousands of Dollars every week, does a slightly "out of balance" rod really matter all that much?

No, definitely not fishing for $$; I'm fishing for fun, and you're right an out of balance rod will not matter all that much, although I can add weight to the back end to get back to the original weight amount.

Not sure how I can easily remove the butt cap on this Dobyns rod, it would be nice if I could. I'm planning on getting a Winn grip butt section and using that on the cut off section of the blank at the back end.

Thanks for all the advice, looking forward to making the modification to this rod and fishing it. I'll give you an update when I get out on the water.  It's warming up, should be able to get out in April some time.

strongx

Quote from: TWBryan on January 28, 2020, 10:18:00 AM
There is a 6' mh ugly stik I have thought about,but not sure if I want to go with it or not. It's about $40,so not a huge investment...
I have that rod if your talking spinning rod. Tip is flippy and butt is stout, but nothing special. I'm gonna use mine for topwater this summer.

I got a old cardinal 5'6" glass worm rod that I just tied a jerkbait to. Verdict is still out.  ~cf

RocBass

I finally got out yesterday and used my modified 711SF Dobyns Kaden.  Took 3" off the back end.  See my write up on the Dobyns Rod Discussion page.

3crows

I think fishing styles have changed and are changing again and this greatly dictates rod length. In my younger days we fished from jon boats and pirogues and would scull the boats back into spring flood waters  inches deep under brush and willows casting to flooded trees and roots and rivulets. I used a 5 foot rod and a rod over six feet was odd. For a long time it seems mostly open water fishing done from boats so large they could never get back into the places we fished routinely is the rule. Until now, and along comes the kayak where once again I find myself wishing for a 5'2" casting rod so that I can cast in cover and in places that the folks with 300 horsepower bass rockets could never find.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

abzack1

I grew up on rods under 6'. I've since fished with rods up to 6'8". I still have 2 of those and a few 6'. But I've gone back to what I like best at 5' and 5'6" because I like ul gear and I fish from the bank most of the time. I have a few buddies with boats and they always laugh at me when their rods are 2' longer. Of course I tell them it's not the size of the rod the counts.... I still out fish them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BassManEd

Couldn't agree more....
in the 90's my rod was a 6' M/H Berkly Lighting. Still have it and use it.
Skipping, pitching, dock shooting, Finese...
I have been looking to upgrade to a new, nicer more sensitive rod but VERY few nice 6'6" M/H rod out there.
Fenwick has a great choice in shorter rods in their upper end rods like the World Class....any one use the world class??
Favorite has some in their Rush line...anyone use these???
and the G6X has a 6'6" M/H.
And lastly the St Croix Avid ...but this line of St Croix has a cork reel seat. I have a hard time seeing how a cork reel seat could be very sensitive.....