Personalizing a 14’ aluminum modified V-hull boat

Started by Pacific NW Ron, January 21, 2021, 10:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

As most of you know I lost my fishing buddy to Covid 19.  I sold my boat about 4 years ago and I've been fishing with him in his boat since then.  His family was going to sell me his boat but his son decided he wanted to keep it. 
Many times we talked about fishing one of the smaller electric only lakes but it's a little work to take a 100hp motor off just to fish electric for a few hours.
I've been looking at used boats for several months and haven't found what I was hoping to find yet.  I got to thinking that I really like to fish the smaller lakes and at my age, health and finances right now don't justify buying a $30,000 boat. Since most launches in these small lakes are gravel I decided on a little aluminum boat.
I just purchased a 14' 48" bottom MV1448 Alumacraft.   I'm going to be adding extra's to it for the next month or so.  I'm going to carpet the front deck and rear seat, build and carpet a floor, add a lid to that open area in the back seat area to create a small casting deck and storage compartment, add a rod storage compartment or maybe two, two folding seats one in front and one in the back, add a step and storage compartment at the front deck, a 55lb bow mount motor and a 10hp Honda on the back.
I'll be posting pictures of the progress.

Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Capt. BassinLou

Very nice Ron, congrats on your purchase. You can customize that boat however you want to suit your fishing needs. Enjoy!!

FlatsNBay

Sorry for your loss Ron. That little boat looks like it will be a breeze to launch.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

I'll be following this thread to see how the boat turns out. Good luck with it Ron.

Sent from my LM-V510N using Tapatalk

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bass Dog

That should be fun to build to your own personal needs Pacific NW Ron.  ~c~

If I may add one thing for you might like think of, that is a live well. Even if you do not bass fish it is nice for holding live minnows in while out fishing or even to hold cold drinks in. I had a friend build me a live well to fit in a seat on my first boat and since your got a clean state it the best time to look at one. Add it to the back deck and it makes a larger platform in the back and you could put the seats on that and give the guy in the back more room to fish.  :-* 
You got to believe in something and my wife told me to go bass fishing so I do!

Mike Cork

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to watching the build.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FD

I decked a 14' fiberglass jon in the early 90's to fish in small ponds around Tampa.  It worked great.

Weight balance is going to be your biggest challenge.

CPF Lures Pro Staff
CPFLures.com

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Bass Dog on January 22, 2021, 07:56:31 AM
That should be fun to build to your own personal needs Pacific NW Ron.  ~c~

If I may add one thing for you might like think of, that is a live well. Even if you do not bass fish it is nice for holding live minnows in while out fishing or even to hold cold drinks in. I had a friend build me a live well to fit in a seat on my first boat and since your got a clean state it the best time to look at one. Add it to the back deck and it makes a larger platform in the back and you could put the seats on that and give the guy in the back more room to fish.  :-*

Yeah I primarily fish bass.  I never keep any but I'm considering a live well. Occasionally I'll keep some crappie, trout or perch and it would also serve well as a cooler or a little extra storage.  We can't use live bait here. 
I'm looking forward to starting on it.  I'll be picking up the boat next week.  It won't be big and fancy just a nice small lake boat easy to launch and load.
Another thing I didn't mention I'll be adding some guide ons to the trailer but haven't decided on what kind to use yet.  Any suggestions out there?
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Donald Garner

Ron congrats on the new boat.  Your boat and my G3 1548 almost have the same layout.  The big difference is the front deck storage underneath.  Yours has that small opening and my is completely open. I use mine primary for fishing over on Ft. Hood Electric Motor Only lakes.  I do have a Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke that I bought with it.  Occasionally I'll take it over and fish the Lampasas River or I'll run up into Cowhouse Creek over on Belton Lake.  That 25hp really scoots that boat around even with 2 guys and tons of tackle.

I have a marine grade plywood floor in mine.  The entire boat is carpeted.  I had a custom storage box constructed to hold my tackle, rain / cold weather suits etc in.  I got a cooler strapped down I use for a livewell / cooler.  I installed an aerator inside of the cooler.  The only time I keep fish is either White Bass or Crappie.  Most of the time is holds my lunch and drinks. 

I have a (2) Bank onboard charging system installed also.  I have running lights, a horn, bilge pump all that I installed myself.  I have (2) Humminbird depth finders one up on the front deck and one in the rear deck when I run the 25hp outboard. 

The trolling motor on the front deck is a 41lb foot control; Rear Transom mounted Trolling Motor is a 65lb hand control model.    Both are Motor Guides 12 volt systems.

Below are a few pictures of my rig.

G3 1548 Alwed Jon Boat

Cooler Livewell

Batteries and On-board Charger area

Tackle Storage Area

Front Passenger Seat with mount and storage area

Outboard mounted and Trailer Guides

While my son was visiting he constructed this rear deck for me.  It's made out of 1/2 inch plywood that is water proofed.  Later on I'm going to have the wooden deck switched out for a custom metal one.

Rear Deck Battery Area covered

The trailer is a standard trailer nothing fancy about it.  I switched out the Grease Hubs for Oil Base Hubs.  I bought the Trailer Guide Post Kit from Academy.  It was real easy to install with U-Bolts.  Everything you need for installation comes in the box.

If you have any questions give me a shout.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pacific NW Ron

Don, Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Looks great and similar to what I have in mind.  I was actually looking at the G3 as well. 
I'm also thinking about a transom mount electric motor but haven't decided for sure yet.  I think it would be a good idea and occasionally maybe help with loading it on the trailer. 
Is that tackle box made out of aluminum or did you use wood?  I'm going back and forth on the guides.  I've had both the post and side bunk style.  I don't really have any preference.
I was thinking about a cooler for the live well. 
Mine is all open under the front deck but for now the only access is that cutout.

Donald Garner

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on January 23, 2021, 11:03:21 AM
Don, Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Looks great and similar to what I have in mind.  I was actually looking at the G3 as well. 
I'm also thinking about a transom mount electric motor but haven't decided for sure yet.  I think it would be a good idea and occasionally maybe help with loading it on the trailer. 
Is that tackle box made out of aluminum or did you use wood?  I'm going back and forth on the guides.  I've had both the post and side bunk style.  I don't really have any preference.
I was thinking about a cooler for the live well. 
Mine is all open under the front deck but for now the only access is that cutout.

The Transom mount trolling motor serves (2) purposes: 1 when trolling for White Bass I use it instead of the outboard engine once we get into their area. 2 It serves as a backup incase the front trolling motor goes out.  Also it makes it easier to load the boat back on the trailer instead of the bow mount one.

The tackle storage box is a custom made aluminum box with a lockable lid.  I had it made at a welding shop in town here.  It's wide enough also if I want to take a nap on the boat I can laid on top of it.  It's durable and stable enough that I've walked on it also.  I have it secured to the front side of the front deck with self tapping screws.  It's also secured to the front side of the back seat with self taping screws.  When emptied and unsecured I can pick it up and move it by myself.

Have fun putting your boat together once you figure out what all you want in and on it.

The guides help me when backing up and while loading the boat.  They are useful.
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Oldfart9999

This is going to be a very interesting thread, I'll keep an eye on it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Get it Ron! I did the Mudpuppy in 2012 and has been spot on since the build. Remember, the fish dont give one chit what you are fishing out of. Building it the way you want it is all the fun!  ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pacific NW Ron

Update 01/30/2021
Made a little progress this week.  Got the trailer set up and added the carpet to the front deck and rear seat/deck area.  I plan on doing the floor and a lid for that open area in the back next. 
I can tell it's probably not going to be finished before I start fishing.  Once I start fishing out of it there may be some changes to the plan.

Donald Garner

Ron, she's looking good so far,  Congrats on the new boat  ~shade ~c~

Pacific NW Ron

Thanks Don.  It's just a start but just adding a little carpeting made her look more like a little more comfortable already.  It won't be fancy but practical for my needs.  I'm having trouble finding marine grade carpeting in the area.  I can't believe that with all the boating around here.  The closest in stock I've found so far is about 100 miles away.  There is an aluminum boat builder here in town.  I'm going to go talk to them next week about an aluminum floor.

Capt. BassinLou

So far, so good, Ron. I'm sure she's going to come out awesome and suit your style soon enough.  ~beer~

Smallie_Stalker

You're off to a good looking start Ron. Please keep the pics coming so we can follow along as you get her tweaked to your liking.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pacific NW Ron

I've made a little progress.  I finished the cover for what will probably end up being the battery compartment and I've added the floor.  It's been fun so far as I've never done anything like this.  I spend a lot of time sitting there thinking about what I want.
I was wanting a 55lb thrust bow mount motor and all I could find anywhere in a 55lb when I was looking was a 52" shaft so figuring I could adjust it I bought it.  Turns out it's much too long of a shaft. 
Now that I have this 55lb that won't work there are other versions available.  I have another shorter shaft one ordered.  I destroyed the box so I can't return it. 
That being said is anyone interested an installed but not used Minn Kota 12V 55lb 52" shaft?

Donald Garner

Ron, you're boat is coming along nicely there.  Yep that 52in shaft was a little long.  You ought to put it up for sale I'm sure some one with a Deep V hull could use that motor.

Oldfart9999

Ron, the work is looking good. Take the head off the cover, take a pic or 2 of the wiring, unhook that and carefully cut the shaft to the length you want it, after pulling the top off the head you pull the bolt out at the bottom of the head to remove it, you will have to drill a new through hole to use the bolt again. It beats buying a new one.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 01, 2021, 06:13:13 AM
Ron, the work is looking good. Take the head off the cover, take a pic or 2 of the wiring, unhook that and carefully cut the shaft to the length you want it, after pulling the top off the head you pull the bolt out at the bottom of the head to remove it, you will have to drill a new through hole to use the bolt again. It beats buying a new one.
Rodney

This works. I did with an old MK Power drive TM years ago. It was a composite shaft.

BTW, looking great so far Ron  ~c~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 01, 2021, 06:13:13 AM
Rodney
Thanks Rodney, I have heard of that before.  If it was a used motor I might consider it but it's a new motor and I worked out a deal with the local dealer on a great price on another motor.  The only time this motor has been in the water is on the maiden voyage for a couple hours.

Pacific NW Ron

Update on my original post from January 21 "Personalizing  a 14' aluminum modified V-hull boat"
I've been busy with the wife's medical conditions but finally getting a chance to update my boat build.
I haven't made many more changes since the last post and I'm probably done at least for this season.
I added two storage compartments up by the front deck that double as steps when getting off of the front deck.  Instead of one 13" step it's now two smaller more normal steps.  Makes it easier for an old man!!
Because of the weight distribution I don't know if I'll add anymore up front.  My 4 tray tackle bag fits nicely between the two that I have so it works out great.
Later I might add one on each side of the rear seat under the rear deck.
I seldom need a live well so I didn't put one in.
Now that I have the wiring done I'm going to run it through some conduit.
I changed the bow mount motor from a long shaft 55lb to a 45lb 32" shaft and it's working out great.  I can run in 14 to 16 inches of water.  It handles 12 to 15mph winds with no problem, but if it's that windy due to wave action I do have to drop the motor down deeper in the water.
I have a 40lb on the back. I don't think I'll need a gas motor for the way I'm going to use the boat.
I've been out a few times with the boat and for what I bought it for and the way I fish I love it so far.  Twice I fished it with two people and it works fine.
If you do this one thing to watch is measure twice.  One problem that I had with the build was that it was not square.  I don't know if all aluminum boats are built like that.  I noticed it on the first piece I cut, the lid for the opening in the rear.  I measured it and assumed it was square.  Nope it was off by 1 1/4".  The opening was 1 1/4" narrower at the front. 
The floor ribs were crooked and two were 1 3/4 inch closer together on the port side.

D.W. Verts

Ron, I don't know if you've seen it but I'm also building up a Jon boat. And you are 100% CORRECT- they are not square. I was a little embarrassed at first with my wood work, until I took the tape to the whole thing and started writing the measurements down. And the back half of the boat is way more true than the front, and it's still at least 1/2" out of plumb in any direction.

Nice rig too, sir.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff