Update on my original post from January 21 ďPersonalizing a 14í aluminum modified V-hull boatĒ
Iíve been busy with the wifeís medical conditions but finally getting a chance to update my boat build.
I havenít made many more changes since the last post and I'm probably done at least for this season.
I added two storage compartments up by the front deck that double as steps when getting off of the front deck. Instead of one 13Ē step itís now two smaller more normal steps. Makes it easier for an old man!!
Because of the weight distribution I donít know if Iíll add anymore up front. My 4 tray tackle bag fits nicely between the two that I have so it works out great.
Later I might add one on each side of the rear seat under the rear deck.
I seldom need a live well so I didnít put one in.
Now that I have the wiring done Iím going to run it through some conduit.
I changed the bow mount motor from a long shaft 55lb to a 45lb 32Ē shaft and itís working out great. I can run in 14 to 16 inches of water. It handles 12 to 15mph winds with no problem, but if it's that windy due to wave action I do have to drop the motor down deeper in the water.
I have a 40lb on the back. I donít think Iíll need a gas motor for the way Iím going to use the boat.
Iíve been out a few times with the boat and for what I bought it for and the way I fish I love it so far. Twice I fished it with two people and it works fine.
If you do this one thing to watch is measure twice. One problem that I had with the build was that it was not square. I don't know if all aluminum boats are built like that. I noticed it on the first piece I cut, the lid for the opening in the rear. I measured it and assumed it was square. Nope it was off by 1 1/4". The opening was 1 1/4" narrower at the front.
The floor ribs were crooked and two were 1 3/4 inch closer together on the port side.