Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Indexing main and pinion gears on Spinning reels

(Read 244 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

cadman

• Smallmouth
  • Lake Geneva
I clean a lot of reels for friends and my fishing club. Mostly have been doing baitcasting reels which is no problem. However on spinning reels, I have heard that you need to index the main and pinion gear before opening them to make sure that when the gears are removed, the teeth pattern are in the same position when you install them, to keep them from binding. Caused by wear over the years on the gear set. Does anyone know how this is done or is this not an issue. I don't want to take a couple apart and then have issues with them later. Thank You for all the help in advance.
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I use spinning a fair amount and never worried about it when I tore them down for cleaning and lubing, making sure all the parts back together right with no left overs is much more important.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
I've never sweated this. My though it the gears are already wearing together. If putting them tougher in a different position cause a binding feeling, then you've got bigger problems. Maybe a bent shaft.

If you want to index them, use a sharpie and after you take the side plate off, mark the main gear and the pinion gear, then line those marks up when you go back together. It would only take you a split second to do
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pro Reel

• Lunker
I'm going to differ here. I've had to buy a brand new set of gears for customers reels before because of this issue. A reel that was perfectly smooth, after service was grindy. It doesn't happen all the time, but once you buy a few sets of gears out of your own pocket you won't let it happen again. It's fairly simple to do. Start by removing most parts from front of reel. With the pinion gear still in place, use a scribe to scratch a line in one flat side or the other. Leave something holding the pinion gear in place. DO NOT LET IT SLIP FOREWARD AT THIS STAGE. Now remove most of the screws holding the sideplate on. OK, now you need a thin pointed stick. A pencil might work, I've got a 1/4 inch dowel with long sloping point. Insert the pointed end into the sidecover through the left handle opening. This can be a two person job at first untill you get the hang of it. I hold everything together, remove the last screws, hold the stick tight into the side, then wiggle and lift the side cover up. Move reach in with one finger and hold the drive gear down, that the stick is currently holding down, then lift side cover off the stick. Now the reel is open. Rotate the pinion gear with flat side that's scratched facing exactly up. Then use awl to scratch a line on the surface of the drive gear matching up with anything inside that you can remember exactly what it was pointing at. Now take everything apart. To put back together, put pinion gear in same position, then drop drive gear in with it's scratched line pointing at your marked location. Might sound difficult but entire operation takes a minute or two tops.

cadman

• Smallmouth
  • Lake Geneva
Thanks guys for all the info. Very much appreciated.
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB