2006 Stratos 285 Pro XL

Started by scbassfanatic, February 03, 2021, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scbassfanatic

I am looking at a 2004 285 Pro XL with an 05 Yamaha VMax 150. The boat has no electronics, a MK Fourtrex and a Power Pole. The asking price is $11,500. I would replace the TM to one with spotlock, add electronics and another PP. I am looking for opinions on the hull and motor combo. I was originally in the market for a larger, and probably older boat, but came across this one. It is within 15 miles of the house. I will be using it for fishing team tournaments with my oldest son and captaining my youngest in the junior division of the high school circuit next year. For those that have one, can two people fish from the front of the boat? How does it handle in the chop? Pros? Cons. I am moving into this, hopefully, from a Bass Tracker PT 175.

scbassfanatic

Sorry, I posted incorrect year. The Hull is 2006, the engine is a 2005.

Princeton_Man

It's a great hull! The 285 Pro XL is Stratos'  sportscar. They handle extremely well and quite good in big water. I'm not sure but thinking max HP on that is 175. Various years were rated differently, some were max 150 while others were 175. Mine's a '93. The hull didn't change, the top did.

I'm not a Yamaha knowledgeable guy, Don Garner is though. He has a 285 as well and it's closer to your model year.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

BassmanRudy

From a friend who runs the 295-

Mine is the 295 with 200.  Little bigger.  I've been in one very similar.  I like the ride.  Handles good.  It'll turn on a dime.  I'd say yes to team tournaments.  But probably not with two on the front deck.  Ample storage.  Probably 55-60 mph boat with 2 PP and 2 people.  Like most boats in that class it'll do fine until he hits 15 mph wind on big water.  Check the trailer.  Stratos trailer it's probably not a C channel.  Water will get in over time and rust through a cross member. 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Donald Garner

scbassfanatic

BUY IT  ;)

The layout of that boat your looking at and my 2004 isn't a whole lot different.  Your rod boxes might be a little longer but that's it.

I have a 2004 Stratos 285 PRO XL Dual Console with a 2004 Yamaha 150 VMax.  It has Fortrex 24volt trolling motor and Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics on the bow and console.  It has a manual jack plate also.
The prop is a 23in Stainless Steel.   

WOT when conditions are right 63.5mph (GPS) is the max .  There's no chine walking with it at that speed either.  It's got a great hole shot even when tournament loaded.  The gas tank will hold 32gals of gas.  The external oil tank under the back deck holds about a gal of oil.  There's an internal oil tank under the engine cover also. 

Two people can fish off the front deck with no issues "Depending on how big they are"  I'm 6'2" 280lbs my fishing partner is a little smaller.  If we're flipping and pitching there isn't an issue.  Casting crankbaits and spinnerbaits its a little different. 

Fishing Tournaments out of that boat won't be an issue.  The live wells are big.  The rod boxes can handle up to 40 rods > 20 each in rod locker.  All of my rods are 7fters and there's no issue with them fitting.    Storage won't be an issue either.  Both Storage boxes are big and deep.  I keep all my crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, etc behind the drivers seat.  All of my soft plastics are behind the passengers seat. 
The center storage compartment on the front deck holds my life jackets,  cold / wet weather gear, spare parts and tools, dip net, throw cushion etc.  The built in cooler is large enough to hold plenty of drinks and sandwiches also.

She will handle the rough water if you know how to drive in it.  I've been on Lake Sam Rayburn in 40mphs and didn't have any issue driving in it.  It was a PIA trying to get it back on the trailer though in that wind.

Like Princeton_Man mention its a Sports Car and its fun to drive.  I love this boat  ~shade

I don't have any negative things to say about it.  I'm the 2nd owner of this boat.  The dealership I bought it from sold it to the 1st owner.  The original owner traded in for a bigger bass boat. He was switching tournament trails and wanted something faster and bigger.

Here's a picture of mine.

Good luck with the purchase.  Once you get out on the water and get some seat time you'll really enjoy that boat.

Don

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

scbassfanatic

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I looked at it yesterday. It will need carpet soon. It could use some TLC on the gelcoat. The seats are in good shape. Unfortunately, it will probably sell before I have cash in hand. He has a guy test driving it this weekend and I am about three weeks away from being able to purchase.

Donald Garner

Oh well sorry to hear that.   You keep looking around there are lots of bass boats out there for sale.

Beings you're looking around something to take in consideration for team tournament fishing.  I'd highly recommend getting a Dual Console Model.  Your partner will sure appreciate that in the cold / wet runs.

Everyone has there own opinion reference tournament fishing and whether to have a dual console or not.

Good luck with your search keep us updated.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

scbassfanatic

I like the idea of a dual console. My high school senior will appreciate, but those two 3rd graders next year would really appreciate it LOL. This one is a single console. We will see how it goes. I am sure I will find something.