Dobyns Sierra trout/panfish 741SF.....

Started by ohiobass, February 09, 2021, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiobass

Just received my Dobyns Sierra STP 741SF trout/panfish model.
I was hoping it would not be too "whippy" in action/power, that's why I choose the 1 power over the 0 power. It's not! It has a nice soft tip (diameter of first 12" or so of tip is thin diameter! But Dobyns states that that tip section is actually solid graphite, not hollow, I hope so!) The rods backbone starts about 1/3 of the way down. "Somewhat" moderate in the 1st 1/3 section, but not really, I would call the first 1/3 section fast/moderate action.  and it goes into a faster action/backbone from there down. I think it is going to be an awesome rod for baits from 1/16-1/8 oz. This rod would really make a great light hair jig rod, for jigs up to 1/8 oz or maybe a little heavier. I can't wait to fish it. Mainly got it for fishing for crappie, casting, slip float, and maybe try it for some perch fishing on Erie. but I can see me trying this out with lighter hair jigs, float'n'jig, and other light stuff that you need a longer rod for casting distance. This rod may be labeled as a "trout/panfish rod", but I guarantee it can be much more than that! This is going to be a FUN rod to fish!

Smallie_Stalker

Congrats!  ~c~

This rod is on my short list. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rod once you get some time on the water with it.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

I was wondering myself on how that rod would be for hair jigs on Erie.
The tip is solid graphite as is most Dobyns rods other than the glass rods.

Let us know how it handles Erie smallies if you hook up with one. I use all 3 power rods on the big lake as you never know when something bigger is going bite.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ohiobass

Quote from: zippyduck on February 09, 2021, 09:39:13 PM
I was wondering myself on how that rod would be for hair jigs on Erie.
The tip is solid graphite as is most Dobyns rods other than the glass rods.

Let us know how it handles Erie smallies if you hook up with one. I use all 3 power rods on the big lake as you never know when something bigger is going bite.

I will! i also use 3 power rods for Erie smallies. Dobyns Champion XP 733SF's. Love'em!

Gary Dobyns

Thanks for comments on the STP 741SF. We already have lots of reports of guys throwing light hair jigs on it. I think it's a too light myself for a good Float N Fly rod. Though I'm sure some guys will do it.  This rod is a very small diameter blank. I had to use solid carbon tip or we'd of faced breakage for sure. It's just too small to make tubular and play it safe. At least I believe so. THX again!!! Send some fish pics :) :)

ohiobass

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on February 19, 2021, 02:27:53 PM
Thanks for comments on the STP 741SF. We already have lots of reports of guys throwing light hair jigs on it. I think it's a too light myself for a good Float N Fly rod. Though I'm sure some guys will do it.  This rod is a very small diameter blank. I had to use solid carbon tip or we'd of faced breakage for sure. It's just too small to make tubular and play it safe. At least I believe so. THX again!!! Send some fish pics :) :)

I'll probably just use the STP 741SF for crappie, being that is what it was made for. Just gives me another reason to go buy another Dobyns for a float and fly/grub rod. :)