How y’all feel about bright chartreuse green line?

Started by The Rooster, February 10, 2021, 04:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rooster

On my new rod, I'm looking to use a copolymer/multipolymer line. I like Berkley Sensations for sensitivity. My semi-old eyes are having trouble seeing clear lines for line watching techniques and I thought the bright chartreuse color would help with that. There's one little trick I like to do for a day when the bite is slow and that is a weightless Zoom U-tale worm slow sinking near cover. I usually can get a few bites this way, but would bright green line take away from the otherwise very natural look this has? Enough that it would affect me getting bit?

BarryFL

Use a flouro leader and learn to tie the Alberto knot.

~Barry~

~Barry~

FishinBuck07

I use the High Vis Yellow on all my spinning rods, just tie a fluoro leader to them!

Capt. BassinLou

You got 2 choices, fish with the line and find out, and then report back, or... learn to tie a joining knot (FG would be my choice ;) ) and use a leader. Either way you have options, good luck!!

The Rooster

Sorry, that was dumb. I didn't think of a leader before posting cause I never use them.

bigjim5589

I generally use the hi vis yellow mono type lines, and even hi vis yellow braid. I bought some hi vis green Ande line, for this year, but have not used it yet.

IMO, the color of the line makes no difference. Folks make the presumption that the fish might see it, and be put off, but that's never been my experience. If that was true, it should also be true of them seeing hooks and any other hardware that may be used, yet they'll grab a lure anyway.

I tie jigs the direct to 50 & 65 lb hi vis yellow braid, and bass will still grab the jigs. I see no reason they wouldn't do the same with the hi vis green.

As I've gotten older my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and I can see these lines better, detect slight movements better as a result, and frankly don't care if the bass see the lines, as long as they continue to grab my lures.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

BarryFL

I don't use a flouro leader so the fish can't see my high vis yellow braid. Braid floats and I want a little faster sink with weightless flukes and stick baits.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Smallie_Stalker

I use nothing but hi-vis line and I fish some of the clearest water on the planet. I don't buy into the whole line can spook the fish idea. They are just not that smart.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

merc1997

Quote from: bigjim5589 on February 10, 2021, 01:48:55 PM
I generally use the hi vis yellow mono type lines, and even hi vis yellow braid. I bought some hi vis green Ande line, for this year, but have not used it yet.

IMO, the color of the line makes no difference. Folks make the presumption that the fish might see it, and be put off, but that's never been my experience. It that was try, it should also be true of them seeing hooks and any other hardware that may be used, yet they'll grab a lure anyway.

I tie jigs the direct to 50 & 65 lb hi vis yellow braid, and bass will still grab the jigs. I see no reason they wouldn't do the same with the hi vis green.

As I've gotten older my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and I can see these lines better, detect slight movements better as a result, and frankly don't care if the bass see the lines, as long as they continue to grab my lures.  ;)
~c~

bo
On Heaven's Lake

merc1997

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 10, 2021, 04:10:45 PM
I use nothing but hi-vis line and I fish some of the clearest water on the planet. I don't buy into the whole line can spook the fish idea. They are just not that smart.

~c~

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Bass Dog

Rooster, I go with the others that say that fish do not really see the line, I personally think they might feel it in their lateral lines but they do not really seeing it. Color is what a human looks for in baits, fish are look for their next meal. Other wise why would they hit a pink worm or a blue lure, have you ever seen anything in nature that looks like one of those color? :-\

I down size my line when the fish get hard to catch and might even go to one of those special lines to make me feel better about my chance of catching fish. I going to try K9 fluoro this year to see if it does better then regular lines, we will see if they can change my mind on lines.  ~cf
You got to believe in something and my wife told me to go bass fishing so I do!

SteveTX

Leaders... Bah Humbug
I have personally asked the fish if they can see fluro and they all replied, you think we can see all the slightest details in those little bity lures and can't see fishing line tied to it?  lo

I get a little smile when I see how much credit people give these green critters. On one hand we say they can feel the slightest vibrations then we think they can rationalize that a piece of grass is not fishing line or fishing line is not grass? And still expect them to ignore treble hooks, spinnerbait wire, and A-rigs.  ~roflmao

I fish straight braid only now. Over the years have progressed to strait braid and along the way as my eyes have aged I have went to brighter colored line. My current line of choice is Sufix 832 in Neon Lime color. I also fish the Hi Vis Yellow and have fished the Coastal Camo (Blue) and nothing changed for me. Either Texas fish are blind, don't give a poop, or are focused on the actual lure/bait and how its being presented.

bigjim5589

If you know what a midge is, think in terms of a mosquito larva, and bass and other fish can detect them. They're barely the size of some fishing lines. It's not the matter of the fish knowing the line is there, because they probably do, but how they react to it's presence.

Also, what does color have to do with anything really? Color is only what the anatomy of specific animals eyes allow them to see, with the light that is available. WE, use color as reference, because we see it. Not everyone see's it the same, as some are "color blind" nor does every other animal. Studies have shown that bass and other fish likely see colors similar to how we may see them, but doesn't mean they see them exactly in the same manner as we do.

However, you have to look beyond the color too. Even a clear line has a shape and substance, so it displaces water, even to a slight degree, and it likely is detected by the lateral line of these fish we chase. Color does not do that.

There was a lot of use of red for lines and hook finishes, and it was said that they "disappear" and become "invisible" which is a lot of hooey! The color is no longer visible at certain water depths, because there's not enough light, but the line & hook is still there. They are a mass that has substance, and you can bet if a fish can detect a midge in the water moving, they can detect that line in the water. But again, the important part is how they react, and I've never seen any fish spooked by a line, except a fly line, as it slapped down on the waters surface in shallow water, and that was the sudden noise that scared them, not the line. I've seen bass follow the end of a fly line, curious no doubt about the thin thing moving across the surface and fly lines are generally much larger than most lines used for bass fishing on other tackle. 

I know that I've caught enough fish, not just bass, using hi vis lines of various types, that I'll never be convinced that it makes any difference if these fish can or cannot see the line. I'm sure they see a lot of things in their environment, that has little or no affect on their reaction to them. Unless there's a reason for them to react negatively, why would they? Lines are not a problem, and especially not the color.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

After reading what Bo had to say about line I started experimenting with line color, I quit using leaders and I went to high vis line. Flourocarbon line is visible to the fish, since it's round it refracts the light round and the fish can see it because of it. The only reason to use flourocarbon is because it sinks, it stretches but doesn't bounce back like mono.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

1ReelFanatik

Can't say how the color would affect getting bites, but I ordered some Big Game 10# in Solar Collector.  Sure is a pretty BRIGHT GREEN line.  I like Siege Neon Tangerine.  Easy to see on the water.  My eyes aren't the best, but they are better now at 73 than they were at 18.  -10 back then and only -8.5 now.  I didn't need bifocals back then but do now so maybe it all evens out.

BassmanRudy

For me it comes down to confidence. For reaction baits I use green braid or reg flouro and don't pay much attention to the color. For skipping wacky rigs or shaky heads under docks I want hi vis yellow braid to see the "line jump". For flipping early morning or low light I like the hi vis stuff too. But normal bright days I prefer the green as I think it's "less" visible. I usually sharpie the last 2-3' of the green/yellow braid just because. 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

bigjim5589

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on February 12, 2021, 07:26:57 PM
Can't say how the color would affect getting bites, but I ordered some Big Game 10# in Solar Collector.  Sure is a pretty BRIGHT GREEN line.  I like Siege Neon Tangerine.  Easy to see on the water.  My eyes aren't the best, but they are better now at 73 than they were at 18.  -10 back then and only -8.5 now.  I didn't need bifocals back then but do now so maybe it all evens out.

I don't recall which line it was, but I had used one in that line of Berkley Trilene or Big Game that was solar collector green and I liked it, as I could see it very well. That's been some years ago, and I used it on a spinning setup mostly for panfish. So, it may have been 6 or 8 lb test, and I also recall that I couldn't find it again in those lighter breaking strength, in that color, so used a different line. That has been an issue with Berkley lines, they don't keep the same products all the time so can't count on them being available the next time around. Not that they're lines are not good either, they're just not always available is the same colors when you find something you like. 

My eyesight is getting bad now, cataracts on both, and I'll need to get some surgery soon. I'm nearsighted, and have worn glasses most of life, and can still see well enough up close, and can see colors fine, just not always fine details. I need all the help I can get with my lines now.  ::)

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bigjim5589 on February 12, 2021, 09:43:21 PM
I don't recall which line it was, but I had used one in that line of Berkley Trilene or Big Game that was solar collector green and I liked it, as I could see it very well. That's been some years ago, and I used it on a spinning setup mostly for panfish. So, it may have been 6 or 8 lb test, and I also recall that I couldn't find it again in those lighter breaking strength, in that color, so used a different line. That has been an issue with Berkley lines, they don't keep the same products all the time so can't count on them being available the next time around. Not that they're lines are not good either, they're just not always available is the same colors when you find something you like. 

My eyesight is getting bad now, cataracts on both, and I'll need to get some surgery soon. I'm nearsighted, and have worn glasses most of life, and can still see well enough up close, and can see colors fine, just not always fine details. I need all the help I can get with my lines now.  ::)
I know the Trilene XT came in that color. I still have about half a spool of 17 lb test sitting in my line box.

Trilene Sensation currently comes in a color they call Solar but it's not the same as the old XT.
Sensation also comes in a Blaze Orange.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire