Stradic fl drag question

Started by jchez444, February 16, 2021, 07:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchez444

At a local dicks sporting goods I was looking at a Stradic fl 2500, when I looked inside the reel I noticed felt/fuzz(assume felt was drag washer) on the reels shaft. Also some fuzz on top if ur looking down into the top(if the top is removed)
is this bad or a quick fix as I'm able
to get a pretty decent discount off it.

Mike Cork

When you say the "top" and that you removed it, are you talking about the spool?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

jchez444

Yes when I twisted off the top of the reel to remove the spool. There were small amounts of felt/fuzz, then I removed the spool and more felt/fuzz were on the reels shaft just Above e the washers. Hope I explained it better lol

cadman

Quote from: jchez444 on February 16, 2021, 03:18:18 PM
Yes when I twisted off the top of the reel to remove the spool. There were small amounts of felt/fuzz, then I removed the spool and more felt/fuzz were on the reels shaft just Above e the washers. Hope I explained it better lol

I just got done cleaning 9 of these reels. The fuzz you are referring to is the drag washers that  are stacked under the spool nut cap. Many times when you take off the spool some felt drag washer fuzz will come off with it. I would replace them with Carbontex drag washers. Carbontex drag washers are about $9 shipped for that reel. There are three of them. The thicker one goes on the bottom. Make sure you use Cal's or Shimano drag grease, so you have a nice smooth drag. If you have any other questions, you can PM me. It is easy to do, I can send you some pics.
"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Pferox

Before Carbon was the thing, felt was.  It can sometimes be a good smooth drag, although carbon are now the way to go.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

jchez444

kdubracing

Quote from: cadman on February 16, 2021, 04:59:28 PM
I just got done cleaning 9 of these reels. The fuzz you are referring to is the drag washers that  are stacked under the spool nut cap. Many times when you take off the spool some felt drag washer fuzz will come off with it. I would replace them with Carbontex drag washers. Carbontex drag washers are about $9 shipped for that reel. There are three of them. The thicker one goes on the bottom. Make sure you use Cal's or Shimano drag grease, so you have a nice smooth drag. If you have any other questions, you can PM me. It is easy to do, I can send you some pics.
Where do you get your drag washers? I may want some before too long.

Mike Cork

Search Smoothie Drag. Their site will come up, it's a little hard to understand their pricing but nothing is that expensive.  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

kdubracing

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 17, 2021, 08:52:45 AM
Search Smoothie Drag. Their site will come up, it's a little hard to understand their pricing but nothing is that expensive.  ~c~
Thanks. I saw that site, just didn't know if there were several other good options or if that site was about all.

Pferox

I have a couple of drags that are still felt, they work great, and actually work better for some instances when dealing with smaller fish.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim