Heartache and Redemption Report

Started by FlatsNBay, February 15, 2021, 12:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

The fish are moving up to spawn in my section of the St. Johns River. On the water at 0700 with cloudy skies and the wind blowing 10 increasing to 20. Water temp  was up to 75.

I started out in a pad filled cove. I quickly caught one on a spotted ape Devil's Horse and another dink on a Yum Dinger in the pads. It was slow going and I started to doubt if any spawners had moved up shallow to spawn in the pads. I casted my Yum Dinger stick worm into the pads and felt a tick. I reeled down and set the hook into a freight train! The big fished immediately surged and pulled drag....then SNAP! The Yo-Zuri fluorocarbon that I was testing broke. Dang it!

I fished around the huge cove full of pads and lost one on a spinnerbait. I decided to move to a smaller cove with fewer pads and that turned out to be a good decision. I picked up one fish after another casting the worm into the scattered pads. All fish were fat 3 lb. butterballs full of eggs! I ended up breaking off 2 more times on the Yo-Zuri fluorocarbon on hook sets. Needless to say, I ruled Yo-Zuri out for a good FC!

I worked my way over to an island of bullrush so I went to work with my flipping stick. I caught 3 more butterballs doing that and then pitched my Yum Bad Mama beaver bait right into the thickest part of the bullrush. I felt tension, set the hook and about broke my wrist because the rod just stopped! Big fish! She took me into the heart of the island and I learned back with all I had! I got her out and up to the boat, 8 lbs 9 oz! I think that's probably my biggest flipping/pitching bass and boy what a fight!

I had to call it a day at 1130 to get home. Ended up with 12 fish. I wish that I was still out but unfortunately had a scheduling conflict.

Going to be spooling up some Trilene 100 %. I've been really happy with it so far on my crankbait rod and as a leader on my spinning rod so we will see how it holds up on my worm rod!

I can't wait to get back out. The wave of spawners has only just begun!

1st pic is of a typical fish

2nd pic is the big fish

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

FlatsNBay

8-9

Capt. BassinLou

Man,,, sorry to hear the line failed you when you needed it the most. But... that's a solid bass right there. WTG!! Appreciate the report.

BarryFL

Beauty, Steve. Should have fished the BASS Elites this weekend. :)

Don't forget FL Trophy Catch.

Edited: Yo-zuri Top Knot Main Line sucks but I love their pink flouro leader. I use their hybrid for traps, square bills and jerk baits. It works great, too. Not sure what's up with their main line, though. Had a big girl break off at Toho last spring so I quit using it. Now I just use 20lb pink leader and 40lb PP braid, if I feel like I need flouro.
~Barry~

BassmanRudy

Awesome fish!!

I too never use yo-zuri flouro after having  multiple break offs in a tourney once.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

FlatsNBay

Now you guys tell me!! LOL No, actually Barry told me that before. I should of listened......

FishaHallic

Sounds like you had a pretty good day for 4.5hrs.  Nice hog
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

big g

Congrats on a good day. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~  I used Trilene 100% Floro for my plastics, and have for years.  In Florida always use at least 15 pound test.  Love the stuff, little problems.  Do you have a pic of the big one?
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on February 15, 2021, 09:04:56 PM
Congrats on a good day. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~  I used Trilene 100% Floro for my plastics, and have for years.  In Florida always use at least 15 pound test.  Love the stuff, little problems.  Do you have a pic of the big one?

George, see reply #1. https://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=154156.msg1714713#msg1714713

Deadeye

FlatsNBay

Thanks fellas. I can't wait to go back.

I was mistaken. I still had Seaguar Red Label on this rod, not Yo-Zuri. I used to love the stuff but don't think Red Label is made the same as the past..hence my reason for testing of various fluorocarbons. I've been really happy with Trilene 100% so far so I'll pick up some heavier pound test for my worm rod.

coldfront

nice fish!  great write up to boot!

I'm a confirmed Trilene 100% flouro guy.  but will be spooling up a reel with some 16# sunline sniper this spring.  the trilene is great in the 10 - 12 pound test (manageable memory) but can be a bit more persnickety for me in the 14/15# range.

but the thumb is learning!

;)

FlatsNBay

Thanks Cold front. You always offer solid advice.