Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Lake Conroe Big Bass Tour recap

(Read 141 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

BassmanRudy

• Charter Member
  • I'd Rather be Bass Fishing!! :-)
Fished the event Sat/Sun and had a couple hours Friday to look around. Sat we started off in Lake Paula(small area on the NE side) and caught 2 bass in the first 5 mins but they weren't quite keepers(16" there). One on a buzzbait and one on a chatterbait. Then went quite a while fishing all sorts of stuff before catching our first keeper on a wacky rigged trick worm. It was only 2lbs so knew it wasn't worth weighing in. Saw a small swirl and threw over there and caught a non keeper on a SK poppin perch. Water temp was 62-67* in there. Ran to the creek below stow-a-way(weir?) and the water temp dropped to the mid 50s. Hit a few docks that had worked last year and caught a 3.29lber (chatterbait under a dock) that we did end up taking to the scales but got beat out by a lot. We fished from inches deep to about 6' and covered buck brush/grass/flats/trees/docks and at the end of the day had used 21 rod combos with who knows how many different lures used with each! I'd say water color was a lot clearer in Paula compared to the other creek arm. Paula was really crowded as I bet we saw 200 boats go in and out of there thruout the day. I think we covered almost 2/3rds of that whole pocket just fishing in and around all the other boats.

Sunday we decided to go fish the "jungle 1" area and boy was that area crowded too! Looked like a Christmas tree in the dark lol! Had a hit first thing on a chatterbait but it was small and got wrapped in some sticks and got off. After that we fished all over going almost a mile and a half winding in and out hitting islands and trees and went up to the road twice in certain cuts. Stayed pretty windy and cloudy so couldn't sight fish like we kinda wanted to do. Saw lots of boats "poled down" working on a bedder. Water temps were mid 60s up there. We then went above the bridge into jungle 2 and water was way dirtier and also cooler(low 60s). Didn't stay there long. Ran way down to a spot we had fished last year in the Pelican Bay area. Water was clear there and temps varied from low to upper 60s. Fished some deep docks and some of the cuts. Had like 1 bite on a wacky rig but not sure it wasn't a bream. Went back to the docks that had given up the keeper on Sat but no luck there. Fished some other stuff on the way back up to stow-a-way then went into Paula just to see if we could find one. Was still pretty crowded in there so we just fished new water and went way back as far as we could. Saw 1 little male on a bed and after harassing him some he bit but was only 13". Was 72* back there in that tiny area. That was literally the only fish we put in the boat that day and at the ramp we had 22 rod combos laid out and had used so many lures my boat looked like trash!

Overall not sure what I would have done different besides maybe just going out to say 10' or so near the flats and just throwing a c-rig around some. Next year if we fish it probably just fish Friday for the tourney and then Sat/Sun for fun or not at all. Those fish sure had to be shell shocked lol!

Attached is a pic of the 1 decent bass and then a pic of what looks like frog heaven but alas it didn't work for us...
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

BassmanRudy

• Charter Member
Other pic

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Donald Garner

• UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us.  Congrats on at least boating some fish also.

That second picture Wow, I could spent all day in that area.  That's my kind of place to fish right there.  I'd clear the deck except for my flipping and pitching sticks  ;)

You ever fish those Bob Sealy Big Bass Splash events of Rayburn and Toledo Bend?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

BassmanRudy

• Charter Member
Thanks Don. That whole area up there called the Jungle had a ton of stuff that looked like that and the lily pads haven't even come in yet.

I haven't fished any on Rayburn or Toledo yet. I've done 1 on Fork and now 2 on Conroe. I'm sure those are super packed too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB