Is the BPS Pro Qualifier bait casting reel any good

Started by lacofdfireman, March 12, 2021, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacofdfireman

Wondering about buying a BPS Pro qualifier reel and a carbon lite rod for a kinda all around rod reel combo.  Or is there better deals and quality for under $200.  Just getting in to Bass fishing and working on getting a better rod and reel inventory because I'd love to fish some local tournaments one day. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Cork

I can't speak to the rods but I do a lot of repair and cleaning of all series of BPS reels. The pro qualifier a good reel for the price. The key is taking care of it and keeping the maintenance up at least annually if night bi annually. By maintenance I mean a complete tear down, cleaning, lubrication and oil on the bearings. If you keep the maintenance up the reel will last.

Are there better reels? Sure, but they are better money too. I think for the money, BPS has stepped up their game about ten years ago and dollar for dollar I believe they are as good as any Daiwa, Shimano, or Lews.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BassmanRudy

I have a lot of the pro qualifier reels and they have performed well! I haven't used the newer carbonlites but the older ones sure did well for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

lacofdfireman

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 12, 2021, 12:28:42 PM
I can't speak to the rods but I do a lot of repair and cleaning of all series of BPS reels. The pro qualifier a good reel for the price. The key is taking care of it and keeping the maintenance up at least annually if night bi annually. By maintenance I mean a complete tear down, cleaning, lubrication and oil on the bearings. If you keep the maintenance up the reel will last.

Are there better reels? Sure, but they are better money too. I think for the money, BPS has stepped up their game about ten years ago and dollar for dollar I believe they are as good as any Daiwa, Shimano, or Lews.

Awesome this is exactly what I came here looking for.   I haven't been sure if I should start down the road of buying all Shimano SLX stuff or Lew's or Abu Garcia or what to do.  I want to buy some quality stuff from the beginning that can give me good service for years to come. 

Since you seem to know a bunch about reels what would you suggest for maybe a sub $200 bait casting reel.  Or maybe even a sub $150?   Would you still recommend the Pro Qualifier or would you go to something different.  I do like on my son's Lew's reel that has the clicking on the drag and spool tensioner.  But not sure which one he has.  I think maybe the Smash or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BassmanRudy

Anything Lew's is good! And they have some models around $100 that will work great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Oldfart9999

I use PRO QUILIFIER reels and usually buy them on sale, as Mike said, for the money they are a very good reel. BPS reels are made by the DOYO who make ABUs, Pflueger and other reels, the PQ is a 2 brake all aluminum reel and stand up to big fish quite well. The CARBONLITE rod is also a good rod, sensitive and strong, they may not be a St. Croix Legend but they don't cost over 400$ either.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Quote from: lacofdfireman on March 12, 2021, 09:21:54 PM
Awesome this is exactly what I came here looking for.   I haven't been sure if I should start down the road of buying all Shimano SLX stuff or Lew's or Abu Garcia or what to do.  I want to buy some quality stuff from the beginning that can give me good service for years to come. 

Since you seem to know a bunch about reels what would you suggest for maybe a sub $200 bait casting reel.  Or maybe even a sub $150?   Would you still recommend the Pro Qualifier or would you go to something different.  I do like on my son's Lew's reel that has the clicking on the drag and spool tensioner.  But not sure which one he has.  I think maybe the Smash or something.

I have a very biased opinion. Daiwa makes some awesome stuff but I'm a Shimano fan. Lews and Bass Pro are also making good stuff but again when it comes reels I've been fishing Shimano is day one way back in the 1970's. That all said...

The Shimano SLX is a very smooth casting and retrieving reel. IMO it doesn't have a competitor in it's class. There are three versions but you can get the $100 cheapest version and be completely happy. I have three and have tried to break them and can't. Now for your $200 reel, the Shimano Curado 70 can not be beat, it's a small reel (so it's not your frog rod reel) but it's truly amazing.

Hopefully some Daiwa fans will jump in. You can go to any BPS and play at their reel counter and get a feel for the different BPS models. If you go with BPS you'll be getting a decent reel.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

I'm a Shimano fan too except for what they did to the thumb bar on the redesign; it's too low for my taste. I just bought a Johnny Morris Platinum where the thumb bar is where it should be. I held a Shimano K in 1 hand and the JM Plat in another and they look like twins......except for the thumb bar of course. After spooling it I made a bunch of casts to dial it in and it's virtually un-backlash-able.....yeah I know it's not a word. I got a great deal at BPS on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisD46

*I have a few of the original BPS Pro Qualifier reels which I put a quality grade higher than the newer revision model Pro Qualifier II . Like you say , do a proper clean & lube and they should last a while . I bought mine brand new when BPS was closing out the original Pro Qualifiers and selling for $49 each , so I bought a 6:3:1 and two 7:1 reels ... Three nice , brand new in the box  bait cast reels for a total of $150 which I still use today .

Oldfart9999

Quote from: chrisD46 on March 29, 2021, 06:44:47 AM

*I have a few of the original BPS Pro Qualifier reels which I put a quality grade higher than the newer revision model Pro Qualifier II . Like you say , do a proper clean & lube and they should last a while . I bought mine brand new when BPS was closing out the original Pro Qualifiers and selling for $49 each , so I bought a 6:3:1 and two 7:1 reels ... Three nice , brand new in the box  bait cast reels for a total of $150 which I still use today .

Different strokes, I prefer the new PQ, all aluminum versus carbon side plates, same internals, a bit smaller which I find more comfortable, for the money both are good buys.
Rodney

fishballer06

3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

FD

Quote from: fishballer06 on March 30, 2021, 02:29:00 PM
How has LMG not commented on this post yet?
He's currently in love and M.IA.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Oldfart9999

Quote from: fishballer06 on March 30, 2021, 02:29:00 PM
How has LMG not commented on this post yet?

He has in the past and said they are a ggod reel.
Rodney

FlatsNBay

Another thought to put into the equation is: I used to use nothing but Pro Qualifiers and loved them. When it came time to upgrade to more "expensive" reels, I was able to sell all of my Pro Qualifiers for almost what I paid for them. I try to keep my reels in really good condition so that probably helped. They hold their value just in case you change your mind down the road. You may not want to though!

I've grown up using Daiwa reels and it's all I use today. The Fuego CT is a dang good reel around the $100 price point. They are all on back order right now and are a really popular reel for good reason.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 31, 2021, 08:12:24 PM
Another thought to put into the equation is: I used to use nothing but Pro Qualifiers and loved them. When it came time to upgrade to more "expensive" reels, I was able to sell all of my Pro Qualifiers for almost what I paid for them. I try to keep my reels in really good condition so that probably helped. They hold their value just in case you change your mind down the road. You may not want to though!

I've grown up using Daiwa reels and it's all I use today. The Fuego CT is a dang good reel around the $100 price point. They are all on back order right now and are a really popular reel for good reason.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest the Fuego CT as a option as well.  Another option is the classifieds.  I've gotten some very nice deals on very nice reels.   ;D  I avoid the ones that look like they survived the Civil War.  One great buy was a blue Patriarch XT for $65 in excellent condition.  A $250 reel new.  Highly under-rated in my opinion.  The only thing that sucked about this reel was that it only came in RH.  Good thing I learned to use both hands.   ~roflmao