Minn Kota Ultrex Shaft Slipping

Started by bobhuberman, March 24, 2021, 08:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobhuberman

I am unable to set the depth of my TM shaft above the lower limit.  When I try to set the motor at a higher level the shaft slips back down to the lowest level.  I've tried tightening the set screw with a pliers but can't get it tight enough to hold.  Fishing shallow water causes false depth reading on the fish finder and frequent hitting of the bottom.  I've been in touch with Minn Kota but so far no fix.  They said to take the set screw completely out and check for a rubber washer.  There is a small washer that fits over the set bolt but I'm not sure it's rubber and don't see how it would affect the TM depth.  I couldn't see any other rubber washers and was afraid to try and force open the plastic collar.  I could see it breaking.  Any ideas as to how to get the set screw to hold and keep the motor shaft from sliding back down?  Thanks.

coldfront

little sandpaper and rough up the shaft surface?

Nutoy

Sounds like the set screw or the collar may be stripped out. My guess would be the collar because it's made out of aluminum.
If working properly, it doesn't need to be tightened that much to hold. Just good and snug.

To replace the collar, the shaft will need to be removed.

If you, or someone you know is "good" with a drill and tap(as in don't drill through the shaft), you can drill and tap the collar to the next size up.
You may even be able to run a metric tap in it without drilling.

bobhuberman

Thanks for the help.  Minn Kota said to remove the TM head and put a new collar on but as it's not under warranty I'm pretty much on my own.  There's no way I'd be able to pull the head off and get it back on again.  I guess I'll have to live with max down.  I've been doing that for a year or so. 

Bassinkorea

Are you able to open the collar enough to get a strip of thin rubber sheet between the collar and the shaft?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

apenland01

You should set the offset for your depth, so you don't run aground with the trolling motor prop....

bobhuberman

Found the problem with my TM.  It was user error.  The depth set collar works embarrassingly well.  Absolutely nothing wrong accept I couldn't see the obvious.  Discovered the collar is supposed to move.  I don't know how I didn't see this much sooner.  Anyway, Ultrex is in perfect shape only the operator had a problem.  Thanks for the help.  See you on the water!

Bud Kennedy

Well Then it seems appropriate to post this just for you.

~goof

Bassinkorea

We all have those moment from time-to-time. Glad you figured it out  ~c~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Rangerman

Been using my 112 about 3 years and love it.  Sometimes i hit spot lock or N by mistake.  Thats user error lo