New Prop is installed

Started by Bud Kennedy, April 05, 2021, 12:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Brought the Ranger home from storage and put her on the charger and then installed the new Solas 4 blade.  Hoping to take the boat out tomorrow and test everything out.

Donald Garner

Don't remember you saying why you changed from a 3 bladed prop to a 4 bladed one?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bud Kennedy

Donald, I have been running a 4 blade prop for the past 12 years or so.  Just downsized the pitch a bit.  Old prop is a 27 and the new  prop is a 25.  Math indicates a 24.5 would be perfect but  Solas only offers a 23 or 25 in this line of prop.  It should get me an additional 400 rpms if everything works out by the numbers.

Donald Garner

I hope the change is an improvement that you're looking for.  I took it for granite that you ran a 3 bladed prop on that Johnson.  Most of the guys I see around here run 3 bladed props on their rigs.  Every now and then I see a 4 bladed one.
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Bassinkorea

That shiny new prop certainly looks the part, I hope you get what you are looking for with it. Let us know  ~read
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 05, 2021, 07:31:14 PM
Donald, I have been running a 4 blade prop for the past 12 years or so.  Just downsized the pitch a bit.  Old prop is a 27 and the new  prop is a 25.  Math indicates a 24.5 would be perfect but  Solas only offers a 23 or 25 in this line of prop.  It should get me an additional 400 rpms if everything works out by the numbers.
Unless that's a 225 under the cowling, 27 is way too much prop for that 150 Johnson Fast Strike. They're peppy motors, but even a 25 pitch is a bit too much for any kind of performance. For true performance on that boat you'd want a 23 pitch 4 blade or 24 pitch 3 blade. WOT on that motor should be between 5600 and 5800rpm. The rev limiter is somewhere between 6200 and 6500rpm. From what I've read, the Solas props are lighter than forged props, so that should help with getting spun up.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Hope it works out for you, let us know.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 06, 2021, 05:49:10 AM
Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 05, 2021, 07:31:14 PM
Unless that's a 225 under the cowling, 27 is way too much prop for that 150 Johnson Fast Strike. They're peppy motors, but even a 25 pitch is a bit too much for any kind of performance. For true performance on that boat you'd want a 23 pitch 4 blade or 24 pitch 3 blade. WOT on that motor should be between 5600 and 5800rpm. The rev limiter is somewhere between 6200 and 6500rpm. From what I've read, the Solas props are lighter than forged props, so that should help with getting spun up.

Jim, my issues began a couple of years ago when I had to have a new power head.  The original unit as you are aware was in reality a 175 hp vs the stated rating of 150 hp.  This 15% reduction of available power dropped the rpms to just at 5000. The prop math suggests a 24P but after long discussions with Solas I decided to go with the 25P.  This particular Ranger hull needs a bit more lift to provide for a better low speed performance.  You are right if I wanted maximum speed the 23p three blade would be worth trying.  I do have one of those that just may be pressed into service.  Solas only offers a 23 or 25 in this model of prop. (Titan model).  Will be testing the new prop this week and am looking forward to see what it can do.

This is a similar situation you faced when you went to the E Tech from your old Intruder which like the fast strike was pretty hot in its original configuration.

Rangerman

Bud those stumps and Santee going to love that 4 blade lo lo What you will find or I did when I went from 24 Fury 3 to a 23 Fury 4 was improved hole shot some but nothing to write home about.  I gained 200 rpm mid range was quicker and the total boat lifted including heavy transom ~c~ Where it really shines is in ruff water, not as much yaw or side to side rocking, it climbs rollers better and very little blow out if any without working jack.  This goes against everything I though I knew about props.  The 4 blade is faster by about 2 mph due to increased rpm.  The 3 blade would turn right at 5850-6000 depending on load a water.  The 4 blade will get almost against the rev limiter at 6150. Now son when that Big Black 250 4 stoke is a turning 6150 that heavy Ranger is a humming. Sure nuff Bud the 4 blade will carry the boat better, most of the time the 4 's are a little slower but in you case think you going to see the light.  Ding Dong son to pull a 27 without lugging it got to be on a Bullet, Allison or one to those other super light Tennessee hulls.  Give us a full report.  You welcome to try either of my Fury 24's, Just please don't over turn the Johnson it may not like it ~shade ~shade

Bud Kennedy

First run with the new prop this morning.  Very happy with the performance.   I did gain the 400 rpms that I was looking for and that is making the boat performance just like it was on the original power head.  Very quick going on plane and picked up about 7-8 mph wot.  No blow out anywhere including tight U turns.  All in all it looks like it was a good choice for a prop.

BassmanRudy

Very nice!  Glad the new prop worked out!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Rangerman

New prop is what most 150- 200 run.  Son that 27 must have worked the motor.  Glad it worked out  ~c~ Watch them Santee stumps lo

Princeton_Man

Glad it works for you. Really surprised.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

Tks for the update.  Glad the Ranger ran well today.

Bassinkorea

Those are some good improvement numbers Bud, glad you are happy with the new prop.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Rangerman

Man thats great ~c~ That 27 just way too tall PoPo next time up this way try one of my 24's

caddyjoe77

im really considering one of those Solas to try for the ole Dirty Bird
BeerMe