I Are One Now- SMALL UPDATE

Started by D.W. Verts, April 06, 2021, 10:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

An aluminum "bass boat" owner, I mean. Or at least I will be. When I get it done. Or something.

With my lack of fishing time and no real end to too much work in sight, I decided that another bass boat will have to wait. So I bought a 15' Lowe Jon boat the other day from a neighbor and friend. I knew the first and previous owner too. The boat really has very little use and looks good except for the fact that it's been setting for 7 or 8 years with that many years worth of leaves and acorns in it also.

In the last week I've found time to clean it out; I've unbolted and unriveted a bunch of stuff as these guys were catfishermen. Anchors, a junk Humminbird, weird cleats, rollers, and both seats are gone. I began to build a deck today- half of the boat will be a flippin' platform because I'm too old to stand in the bottom of a boat, below the water line.

The motor is a 15 hp Evinrude, which were pretty decent in the day ('97 or '98 I think). The gas line had been unhooked but he couldn't remember if the fuel had been ran out. The gas left in the tank looked like a science project gone wrong and smelled even worse. Apparently it had been run out however because the durn thing started on the SIXTH pull (it has a starter but the button is stuck). Sounded great. So, plugs, water pump, lower unit fluid, clean out what's left of a massive mouse nest (they didn't chew thru anything important), and fix that starter button. New fuel line and primer bulb. Then find a deal on a 25. Or not- I'm not planning on keeping this thing forever, or spending tons on it. Except..

I had some 3/4" plywood. Not enough, so I bought another sheet today. Jayzus. What a stupid world we live in.

And by the way, I priced doing everything in ALUMINUM. Holy mother.

Anyway, I bought a new trolling motor. A new battery. I'll still need a cranking battery. I ordered side loading bunks (it'll make life easier), two new tires & wheels (they look great, but they've been setting for a long time, and I know how THAT story goes), a jack stand (no way will I have a trailer without one), and a new Garmin 93sv will be here in a couple of days. I'll need to paint the deck and flooring. I'll need carpet and glue. I'll build in some storage. I need some sort of rod tie downs (I don't think Rod Buckles will work here!) and trailer tie downs. I'll put in a cooler for a livewell in case I decide to go for a mess of crappie or bream (I did this a few times last year and it was so, so good).

I already have a trolling motor tray that I'll recess just like the REAL bass boats. I also have a bilge pump and an automatic switch that will be perfect. The boat has running lights that I'll re-engineer, and I'll probably do some interior lighting in case I decide to venture forth after the sun goes down. Obviously there will be some wiring to rig up. Oh yeah- I'll need to rewire the trailer plug for my Chevy... And while I'm on the trailer and giving it new shoes to stand on, I'll do the bearings too (bought Bearing Buddies yesterday).

So there you go. Why? you might ask. Here's an older guy who's owned and been sponsored in bass boats up to and including 21'. A Jon boat?

Well, it's mostly due to time constraints. You see, there's this deal called "IBass Gold" and it has a weird rule (the VERTS rule?) that says you have to fish public waters. No farm ponds. And while I have a kayak (love my kayak!) and a regular 15' Jon boat (old and NARROW), I want the comfort of a big platform to fish from. So because of this UB "IBass Gold" I've had to fall back and punt. It'll work, because I don't need fancy. I've never seen a boat catch a bass yet. Watch and see what I can do out of my little aluminum "bass boat".

If I can get the titles and the basic stuff done I may put this thing on the water later this week. Maybe. It of course won't be finished, but like most of my life it'll be a work-in-progress. We'll see. It's freakin' April, and I can SMELL 'em. And they are BIG.

Peace.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

The extremes grown men will go to when it comes to something competitive.  lo To hell with logic, common sense, or the material winnings being valued at less than 1/10th of the investment to prove our abilities.  ~roflmao  I am building another Drag truck as we speak spending way more time and cash than I should acting like I am in my 20s again. I will never get 1/4 of my $, and none of my time back if I won every race this season.  lo

Congrats on the new boat. I like low maintenance aluminum boats. I was looking for a wide jon boat similar to what your doing when I stumbled into my boat.  Congrats again and good luck.

Princeton_Man

~c~
I sold my old Bass Tracker after I bought my Stratos. A big mistake! I miss having a tin boat.

A friend of mine just sold a rig similar to what you're putting together and I really wished I'd had the cash on hand to buy it. Those 15' Jon boats let you fish a lot of unpressured water that the big glass boats can't get to and that's often were the hawgs are. Enjoy!
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Pics, we need lots and lots of pics. Come on Dale, you know the rules, public waters and a ton of pics. lo
Rodney
PS Did I mention pics?
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

I love these kind of custom jobs. I caught more fish our of mine back in the day than I do now out of my gentle giant.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Dale, tks for sharing this.  I had Flash Backs of Dec 2006 while reading this.   When I got my G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat.  It was a lot of fun doing just what you described> installing flooring, lights, batteries, etc, etc,.   Make sure you take some pictures of the boat.

Oh, congrats on the new fishing machine.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

I have fantasies of pulling up at a launch ramp and slapping down my entry fee. The looks on the faces of the other anglers. And the incredulous reactions to my big sack at the weigh in. It's not and never will be the boat that catches bass. Probably never going to happen, and IBass Gold will be as good as it gets.

The durn thing almost got blown away today with 70 mph winds.

I'm pretty certain that it'll be next week before I get it on the water The weather today and work & stuff got in the way, but the first parts did arrive. With some luck I'll get the bearings done tomorrow, new shoes put on, and the loading bunks. Then work at the restaurant throughout the weekend (I might take it up there and piddle when I get time, I want to go FISHING).

I'm going to get the deck and bracing in (the bracing may be the trickiest part), install the trolling motor and get all of the wiring run/rerun. Then I'll try it out. The paint/storage/carpet/etc. can wait a week or so. We'll see.

I'll take some pics, but this ain't nothin' fancy. Not at all. And until I get some bass slime on it it ain't nothin' but a boat. But after that happens, then it's MY boat.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

D.W. Verts

So I've been looking at SeaDek instead of carpet for my deck and floor. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Dale

Princeton_Man

I have a friend who used a textured OD green anti-skid paint on his casting deck as well as the aluminum surfaces.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

Well I like the idea of leaning towards the "quiet" factor.

Dale

D.W. Verts

I ordered $327 worth of SeaDek flooring last night, It's only money, you can't take it with you, etc. etc.

The tires I ordered in are larger then the existing ones. I knew they would be, but I want good radials and it's the only way I could get them. I may have to move/modify the fenders. Fun stuff.

Dale

Wizard

Better read the new tin boat tip I posted in General Tips. You may need it.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Thanks Wiz. I keep the drain plug on the inside of my Jon boats all of the time. And I WILL have a bilge pump. And if all else fails I'll just go down with the ship and sleep with the fishes.

Dale

D.W. Verts

Capt. BassinLou

It's coming along Dale, soon enough it will be a bass catching machine!!  ~c~

Donald Garner

Hooah > A Army Thing < , I see a fun project fixing to begin.  Tks for sharing the pictures.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Oh mama!!! That's a nice little package there, deck across the bow, built in storage, rod locker along the gunnel, 2 sonar units, 1 bow, 1 stern, Terrova mounted at the bow, 2 batteries mounted just in front of the middle seat, 2 power pole small vessel units, I'm in love!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Wow Rodney. Just. Wow.

Dale

FD

+++ on the SeaDek.  It is worth every penny I spent on mine.  Quiet and cool to the touch even on our 95* days.  It sticks best on a slick surface so you may want to paint the plywood with a good enamel paint before you put it down.

Since you are decking the front, you could probably mount the rod buckles cartridge underneath next to the gunwhales.

I would also put the TM battery forward of center under the deck.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

D.W. Verts

Quote from: FD on April 17, 2021, 05:36:42 AM
+++ on the SeaDek.  It is worth every penny I spent on mine.  Quiet and cool to the touch even on our 95* days.  It sticks best on a slick surface so you may want to paint the plywood with a good enamel paint before you put it down.

Since you are decking the front, you could probably mount the rod buckles cartridge underneath next to the gunwhales.

I would also put the TM battery forward of center under the deck.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

All good stuff, sir. The first coat of paint is done- I'll probably do at least one, if not two more coats.

Why in the world would anyone want carpet in a boat? I didn't way back in 1990.

SteveTX

At least it wasn't that extra long shag.  lo lo

D.W. Verts

Quote from: SteveTX on April 19, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
At least it wasn't that extra long shag.  lo lo

1977Rangers & Champions...

SteveTX

D.W. Verts

Oh, that was "turf saver". What a great idea that was, too. At least it didn't hold water and rot...

My SeaDek came in yesterday. It was 70 degrees, sunny, and I was busy. It's 36 degrees outside right now and it's snowing. And I'm still busy.

Dale

FishaHallic

Typical boater, get a new boat and start pouring money in it  lo
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS