Weightless Lizards in the spring

Started by Mike Cork, April 07, 2021, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Bo catching so many giant smallmouth that he's playing with old techniques just to keep it interesting  ~bb Got me to thinking about some stuff I consider old school but still use. Techniques fall out of "popularity" and the angler that keeps it under cover can have a "new" presentation...

A weightless lizard is a mainstay on my boat. I even have a dedicated rod for fishing a weightless lizard. The lizard has enough plastic to it, to make it easy to cast without any weight. Four legs and a tail provide tremendous action as it's falling through the water. Twitch it, slow retrieve, let it fall on beds or next to cover, I have caught more bass on a weightless lizard than probably even a jig in the spring time. If the vegetation gets up, I'll fish it through the summer too.

I keep it very simple, a 6 inch lizard in pumpkinseed. Thats it. Nothing fancy, no special colors, just a pumpkinseed lizard. If the water is a little stained (not muddy) or it's cloudy out, I'll add a chartreuse tail. Day in and Day out, in the spring, the pumpkin lizard is the ticket!!

It's weedless, you can put a big strong hook in it to penetrate the jaw of a giant bass, it casts easy, the retrieve is forgiving because you can do anything you want and catch bass. Perfect for getting young anglers addicted. Bass will chase it down, strikes can be very aggressive. The list goes on and on.

Next time out, give the weightless lizard a chance. Put it anyplace you'd cast a senko.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

njpaulc

DonM

I caught hundreds of fish using weightless PS lizard, back when I knew how to fish.
Have a lifetime supply somewhere.
DonM

Donald Garner

Mike Tks for sharing this.  I fish a lizard a lot during the Spring and some into the Summer months.  I've never fished it weightless though.  I'll have to give it a try.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

pantera61

Bud Kennedy

I have not fished it weightless either.  I like to use a light belly weighted hook.  Just seems to make a nice realistic presentation.

chrisD46

Weightless Lizard on FC #12 lb. ~ #15 lb. could be a neat deal ... May  even try adding a pegged 1/16th oz. tungsten bullet weight up the line about 14" and working it around ... Make bass think the lizard is chasing after young fry .

FishinBuck07

I was just fishing one over the past weekend, no takers but I usually have one tied on in the spring here in Ohio!!

BassmanRudy

Regular 6" lizard or the 8" one??

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Blacknredflake

I know what Im trying next weekend on Spring Bayou WMA!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Mike Cork

Quote from: BassmanRudy on April 09, 2021, 05:08:33 PM
Regular 6" lizard or the 8" one??

I use the 6 inch versions. They are a great choice right now in this part of the country. As the water warms you have to speed up the retrieve until the 70's when you are winding it just under the surface.

Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Weightless worms and tubes work also. Most will sink but extremely slowly. Use a light wire hook to stay at the surface longer, use a heavy wire hook to sink a bit quicker or change hook size to change sink rate. Simplicity at it's best.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

BassmanRudy

Thanks for the tips!

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

FishaHallic

I'm looking for lizards with a little more girth, I like owner twist lock hooks so I need a bigger head for the twist lock and a little bigger body for the hook.....any suggestions?

17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FishaHallic on April 21, 2021, 08:10:48 PM
I'm looking for lizards with a little more girth, I like owner twist lock hooks so I need a bigger head for the twist lock and a little bigger body for the hook.....any suggestions?
Try the El Grande Lures Gila Monster. ~shh

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

I was fishing with a wounded warrior the other day and he wanted to use the Owner Twist lock. He was having trouble  with his brand, don't remember what it was, but I gave him some Mr. Twister and he loved them. Didn't seem to rip out as often.

Cork's Reel Service

BassmanRudy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 21, 2021, 09:59:03 PM

^^ great lizard!!

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

FishaHallic

Just checked out the gila monster and will order several packs.....thank you.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

coldfront

one from past weekend.  tossed on top of some primrose, 'jiggled' off edge and let fall/soak.  20-30 seconds later it just starts to move off.
6 inch zoom cali 420 lizard with 3/0 VMC heavy wire EWG.  15# flouro.  powell 765 max rod.
don't be in such a hurry!

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

FishaHallic

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 21, 2021, 09:59:03 PM

I tried twice in the last 3 days, there is some sort of issue when I check out as a paypal guest, I guess I will call them on Monday.
                            TRUTH MATTERS