Goose

Started by Wizard, December 06, 2022, 01:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

When I was younger, I went to the sloughs near St. Louis and goose hunt. A trusty 10 gauge shotgun and Rusty, my retriever, were all I needed to bring home a goose. The price was a shot shell and training the dog. Now, unable to hunt, I went to the grocer to buy a goose. All were small and farm raised. I couldn't force myself to pay $137.50 for a 4 lb. bird.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Gee willikers, was it wrapped in gold foil and shut with pearl studs?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Wizard on December 06, 2022, 01:31:41 PM
When I was younger, I went to the sloughs near St. Louis and goose hunt. A trusty 10 gauge shotgun and Rusty, my retriever, were all I needed to bring home a goose. The price was a shot shell and training the dog. Now, unable to hunt, I went to the grocer to buy a goose. All were small and farm raised. I couldn't force myself to pay $137.50 for a 4 lb. bird.

Wizard
Man, this takes me back. In my younger days we used to take our dog and hunt pheasant for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner as no one in my family was particularly fond of turkey.

I hear you on the sticker shock too. Since my son seems to have inherited the family dislike of turkey we usually have a roast for Thanksgiving.

We have a local butcher shop/small market where we usually got our meats and cold cuts. The quality of their meats is much better than the local chain supermarkets and their prices were a good deal cheaper too.

When I went there about a week before Thanksgiving to buy a roast I couldn't believe how much their prices went up.  A little over $40 for a 3 lb. roast! 

Suffice it to say we did NOT have roast for Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

It's all gotten OMG ridicules. I was going to buy a Prime Rib for Christmas dinner but it's either the Prime Rib or presents under the tree...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service