Terminal Tackle Storage

Started by FlatsNBay, April 12, 2021, 04:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

What's everyone using for storing your terminal tackle? I'm currently storing most of my worm hooks and weights in a Bass Pro Shops 3600 size utility box. It has enough room in the little box for up to 36 compartments, which is hard to find for such a small box. My other types of hooks are stored in various other boxes. I'm thinking about consolidating everything in one box.

Considerations:

The Bass Mafia Ice Box is a thin box with up to 48 compartments. It looks interesting.

The H2O terminal box from Academy looks interesting at $15 but I'm not crazy about the foam holders for the worm weights. It seems like a lot of wasted space.

The Plano Rustrictor terminal box looks interesting but there is a large compartment in it that also looks like wasted space.

The basic Plano thin 3600 or 3700 size box. Not sure if there would be enough compartments?

Any other ideas or boxes that you would recommend?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

Steve, I do use the H2O terminal tackle box and have found it to be very good.  The loose items do not migrate in the box as the dividers are just a bit higher than most.  The foam pieces for the weights just lifts out and you can use the provided dividers if you choose.  I use the foam weight holder and it works well for me.  I actually have two of these boxes.  One in the boat and one in my bait cabinet in the garage.  It is nice to have a back up box ready to go.

BassmanRudy

I think the academy ones at that price range would be great! Could always take the foam out too.

I bought the Bass Mafia "googan version" terminal tackle box. It was $10 or so cheaper than the same thing but regular Bass Mafia box. Holds more stuff than I need it too lol. Here are some pics-

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Donald Garner

I use Plano Boxes I don't remember the Model #'s but here's my
Co-Angler Bag Terminal Tackle Storage.

My Stratos Terminal Tackle Storage

My G3 Terminal Tackle Storage
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

FlatsNBay

Question Bud, if you take the foam out, can you put a removable blue divider in that compartment to divide up the space that the larger foam took up? (not sure if that made sense? )

Rudy, that's the one that I am considering. Is that the 3600 size or larger 3700?

Bud Kennedy

Yes you can put in dividers.  I really like that googan squad box shown above.  Looks like it is potentially more flexible and has more capacity if you choose.

BassmanRudy

Flats- 3700 for sure.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

kdubracing

I use 2 3700 thin boxes. One for weights and one for hooks. I just got them this winter but so far I'm liking them a lot.

SteveTX

I use the standard depth Plano WATERPROOF STOWAWAY® (3700) SKU# 374010
I cant speak for those of you using the very small panfish or crappie hooks but typical bass hooks, even the light wire versions seem to stay put very good for me. I also put some pieces of some of the blue dividers from Flambeau that have the antirust inhibitor in my boxes. I just cut them into 1/3rds and scatter them in the box.

A tip for those of you using boxes that have these dividers you cut off a string of 5 or 6 in a row. If you don't want your dividers sliding up or out when you are trying to get that small weight or hook out this is what you do. Before cutting the tabs apart think about how these fit into the slots. If you do not cut the plastic so strait when separating your new tabs they will have a more snug fit. You want a interference fit that keeps them in place unless you actually pull on them. So leave a little bit of that plastic on the edge of the tabs. You can experiment on your first one and see how much it takes after test fitting one. Then you can do the rest the same pretty quickly.

Oldfart9999

I use 3700 Plano or BPS boxes, same thing, for my weights and hooks and other random tackle. I leave the hooks in the package they come in, weights and other tackle like wise. Some, like snaps, slip shot and other small things go into old film plastic cans and then into the box. Soft plastics go into large zip lock bags in their original package, each zip lock sorted by type and size.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishWhisperer1972

Quote from: SteveTX on April 12, 2021, 10:33:42 PM
I use the standard depth Plano WATERPROOF STOWAWAY (3700) SKU# 374010
I cant speak for those of you using the very small panfish or crappie hooks but typical bass hooks, even the light wire versions seem to stay put very good for me. I also put some pieces of some of the blue dividers from Flambeau that have the antirust inhibitor in my boxes. I just cut them into 1/3rds and scatter them in the box.

A tip for those of you using boxes that have these dividers you cut off a string of 5 or 6 in a row. If you don't want your dividers sliding up or out when you are trying to get that small weight or hook out this is what you do. Before cutting the tabs apart think about how these fit into the slots. If you do not cut the plastic so strait when separating your new tabs they will have a more snug fit. You want a interference fit that keeps them in place unless you actually pull on them. So leave a little bit of that plastic on the edge of the tabs. You can experiment on your first one and see how much it takes after test fitting one. Then you can do the rest the same pretty quickly.
Excellent product , have several myself .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

~roflmao I notice the craziest stuff... Everyone keeps their bobber stoppers in the same general location LOL

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fun4me

The H2O box is slightly larger than a normal 3700 box. Not a big deal, unless the place you store the box needs to be the size of a normal 3700 box.

I have been eyeing the Plano custom divider 3770/71. It looks infinitely customizable, from a compartment size stand point. The slots for the dividers are super close together, and they even come with angled dividers.

Princeton_Man

I use Plano 3700 boxes for virtually everything. I'm not sure of the 37XX number but, the ones I use for terminal tackle are about half the depth of the standard 3700 boxes and have a lot more compartments. I also have separate Trokar and Gamakatsu hook boxes with the slit foam for keeping hooks.

There are a lot of cool options out there, but I find that keeping everything the same simplifies organizing and storage.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

I've been reading about tackle organization for years here and at another site I belonged to, every couple of months it comes up. What I've noticed is that nobody is truly happy about what they are doing, it's almost as big a topic as catching the fish we carry all that gear for. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be 100% percent happy with any way I can do it. I now think that if you have a way that works live with it you'll never find the perfect system and you're spending time working on that that should be spent on catching little pea brained green fish.  The time you try figuring out the perfect system will carry over to your fishing time. If by some miracle you do find nirvana when you get a different boat you'll have to start your hunt for perfection all over again. Just go catch fish, the tackle will take care of itself.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FlatsNBay

Thanks for all the input. I may try to fit all of my terminal tackle in one box. I will look into your suggestions.

Blacknredflake

I also use the H20 Express box... i like it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Pipepro

I've been happy with these thin 3700 boxes. The pair of them give me lots of compartments but take up less space.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

WTodd

I too use the 3700s but it seems like they're cheaper now; they certainly crack and break easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatsNBay

Hey Pipepro, did they come with enough dividers? It looks like you can get 34 compartments out of one if you wanted to. Thanks for posting the pics. That was helpful.

Pipepro

Quote from: FlatsNBay on April 16, 2021, 06:30:51 PM
Hey Pipepro, did they come with enough dividers? It looks like you can get 34 compartments out of one if you wanted to. Thanks for posting the pics. That was helpful.

I think they came with just enough. The box with my dropshot hooks and weights has all the dividers in and the other one I had to remove some to fit 4/0 and 5/0 hooks. In the 34 compartment one I used a soldering iron to "weld" the dividers in place. So far I haven't had any compartment jumpers even with those small wacky hooks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

FD

I have been using the plano 3700 terminal box for years.  Everything stays put and the compartments are round on the bottom so you can dig out small items, even with fingers that don't work so great anymore. I stuck a leftover piece of SeaDek to the bottom and it will not slide around.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works