A brand new broken Dobyns rod

Started by Bassinkorea, April 13, 2021, 07:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

A buddy of mine over here recently broke a brand new Dobyns rod (he only had it a matter of days when he broke it). It wasn't the fault of the rod in any way, but he asked me to ask if Gary has any kind of  after sales support to help him fix or replace the rod. A long shot, but worth asking right?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

BassmanRudy

Usually with Dobyns you cut off the "info section" (about 6" of rod) and send it in and they'll send you a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

fishballer06

Check the Dobyns website warranty section. Pretty sure Gary just has you mail him the section of the rod that shows the model number and info, and then he'll send you a replacement for whatever the warranty cost is for the model you have.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bassinkorea on April 13, 2021, 07:45:51 AM
A buddy of mine over here recently broke a brand new Dobyns rod (he only had it a matter of days when he broke it). It wasn't the fault of the rod in any way, but he asked me to ask if Gary has any kind of  after sales support to help him fix or replace the rod. A long shot, but worth asking right?

Dobyns replacement program is awesome. It works just like others have mentioned. I believe, if it's done properly and the new rod is sent as a warranty replacement, your buddy shouldn't have to pay the same import tariffs that he had to pay the first time.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apenland01

I've used the replacement warranty at least 3 times....

You cut the info section of the broken rod and ship it in a padded envelope with a check for whatever the replacement amount and they send you a new rod.

Bassinkorea

Awesome info guys, thanks  ~c~

I'll get to work on it  ~beer~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

D.W. Verts

I have two broke Dobyns from two years ago. One was a high-stick landing on a six pounder (there's a video on here somewhere) with a Fury 735. Totally my fault- no rod can handle what I did.

The other one is a Sierra 702 spinning rod. I used it one day, and had caught one bass on it. It broke a few inches from the tip on a sweeping hookset using 8# line and a grub an hour later. It had come in the mail in a good tube three days before. Never been in used or in a boat before. No clue on that one.

My point is, and this is probably stupid considering Gary's great replacement policy, I feel GUILTY taking advantage of it/him. The casting rod was a brain fart, the spinning rod was a "what the heck", yet they're gathering dust in the corner of my shop.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bud Kennedy

I agree Dale.  I don't mind using the warranty if there was a problem with the rod but if it was a self inflicted wound then I don't think warranty claims should be considered. 

apenland01

There's two types of warranty.  Rod warranty against defects, materials, workmanship, etc.

Then there's replacement warranty, no matter how the rod broke.  You send in the portion of the broken rod with a check for the amount of the rod replacement fee and you get another rod. 

Fun4me

If you break a rod by accident etc. Gary offers a replacement policy, which is different from a warranty claim.

Copy and pasted directly from Dobyns website;

Replacement Policy

For damages determined to be from accident, normal wear and tear, or neglect, Dobyns Rods offers a No Hassle repair and replacement policy. In the event a rod is broken, the rod owner must pay the replacement fee in order to receive a replacement rod. If we no longer offer the exact model, we will replace it with the closest comparable model from our current product line.

Please send the following to the above address:

Check or money order to cover the replacement fee and return shipping. See below for replacement fee. If the shipping destination is other than the United States, the actual return shipping cost will be assessed.
The damaged rod with a brief note explaining the problem
Your original sales receipt
Your return address
Daytime phone number
If the problem is determined to be a manufacturer's defect, we will refund your replacement fee.
Replacement Fee

Colt Series:  $30 + return shipping.  Warranty for 1 year from date of purchase
Fury Series: $50 + return shipping
Kaden, Sierra, Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting, Sierra Trout and Panfish, Sierra Micro, SAM, Savvy or Savvy Micro Guide Series: $60 + return shipping
Champion Series and Mike Bucca Bull Shad Series: $70 + return shipping
Champion Extreme Series: $80 + return shipping
Xtasy Series: $125 + return shipping
Return shipping charges are $20 for shipping within the US, $30 for shipping in Canada. Residents of all other countries must contact us for a shipping quote at 903-919-8028.

Dam0007

If you mail in the whole rod they can inspect the "break" and could replace it if the damage shows the rod failed, it happens. But your saying it broke from user, you'll have to go through the warranty process.
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

mygreenihc

As has already been stated,  Dobyns warranty and replacement policy is first class.  I too feel guilty when the breakage was my fault,  but Gary does not feel that way. 

Also,  there is another part of the replacement process to consider.  If you break a rod,  it is a perfect time to upgrade to another line or different rod.  You do not have to get the exact model that you broke.  If you have a champion and want an extreme,  you pay replacement fee and the difference in what the two rods cost.  Just something to consider.

Brad

apenland01

Just busted my DC 704 SF during a tournament this weekend and used the hacksaw to cut the info section.  Sent the section with a check for $90 today and hope to have a new rod in a week or so.  When I broke the rod, I was glad to see it was my Dobyns because I knew it wasn't a total loss.  Things like this are why I buy a Dobyns rod when I could buy some other line....

BassmanRudy

I broke off the last 4" or so of a Dobyns last tourney and it sure was tough cutting it up to send back... :-( saving the rest for guides if needed in the future.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

apenland01

Received my brand new DC 704 SF today when I got back from the lake.  It delivered on Saturday, so May 24 - May 29, including USPS sending in the hacksaw section and them shipping me the new replacement rod....

FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE DOBYNS RODS!!!!