The new rig.

Started by apiazza, April 06, 2021, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Well I said new was coming and here it is.

Native watercraft Slayer propel 12.5 MAX.

What an impressive craft. Other than the quick running of the electronics I don't see much needing to be done on this platform. Pedal drive cruised about 3.5 mph into the breeze. Stability makes for easy standing and fishing. There is space galor in the rear tank well and a nice hatch up front for dry storage. The biggest downside is simply working with the weight. Using the trailer and boat ramp makes the task fairly easy but the times I don't want to use a boat ramp, it will take some work to get unloaded and loaded.

Only had a couple hours on it today and focused mostly on just getting comfortable with the layout. Will get it slimed up asap. Lots more info to come.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Looks good!

Do the pedals drive a prop or fins?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 06, 2021, 09:02:16 PM
Do the pedals drive a prop or fins?
I think its a Prop. I think this is a list of the specs here. https://nativewatercraft.com/max/

Looks like a pretty fancy yak. Congrats on the purchase.

Capt. BassinLou

Congrats on your new kayak. Looks like your all set.  ~c~

apiazza

Steve is correct. The natives are prop drives. The only good option for fins are the Hobie kayaks. There is a lot of good about the Hobie but some things I'm not a fan of. The price being a big one. The fishing platforms start at another $500 over the native (and even this was more than I planned to spend), they are even heavier and the fin system doesn't have instant reverse. You have to pull a lever to go backwards. A half crank backwards on this drive is like having brakes. Very convenient when fishing. They are also a little more prone to breaking from my research.

Mike Cork

Looks like a fish catching machine!!!!

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bassinkorea

I love the look. Congrats on the new boat  ~c~
Kayaks are getting really popular over here too, but I haven't got to fish from one yet.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

apiazza

Give it a go if you get a chances. The new designs are really impressive. They are starting to get to the point that you can do almost everything a bass boat can other than make 70 mph runs across big lakes.

The price is getting a little crazy on some, but I look at it like this: nearly every lake within a 45 minute drive of me is either electric only or 10 hp max. I can't justify buying a big boat knowing every time I want to fish I need to make time to drive a couple hours each way. I spent the extra on a fishing platform that I can still drop in one of the 2 reservoirs that are within 10 minutes of my house. You certainly get some looks out there on it.

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

FD

There was a national yak tourney here a few months ago.  Some of the rigs that came down my canal were super impressive.  Micro power pole, Trolling Motors, electronics and more.  One came by at what looked like 5 mph!  We need some more pics of your rig up close.

My only issue is they are still smaller than some of our local lizards and I can't imagine being eye to eye with them.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

BarryFL

+1 on FL lizards.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Donald Garner

Congrats on the new Yak.  She looks fish ready  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Deadeye

Quote from: FD on April 11, 2021, 03:34:12 AM
There was a national yak tourney here a few months ago.  Some of the rigs that came down my canal were super impressive.  Micro power pole, Trolling Motors, electronics and more.  One came by at what looked like 5 mph!  We need some more pics of your rig up close.

My only issue is they are still smaller than some of our local lizards and I can't imagine being eye to eye with them.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures
On the Kayak Bass Fishing Show, Chad Hoover (who started the Kayak Bass Fishing National League) has had many different set ups over the years.

One he has used has a Battery Box with the Sonar Mount on it that drops into a well in front of him. Transducer is mounted on the bottom.

Twin Micro Power Poles mounted out at an angle on the back to hold in place.

Electric motor Prop Drive on the rear.

It's crazy just how far they have come over the last few years.

The Original Model I wanted was made to be able to Stand Up in and fish. Two position seat. Higher to fish and Lower to paddle. Had like two pontoons on the rear half to support it.

Hoover has used Jackson Kayak, Wilderness Systems Kayak, and now is using another brand I can't think of right now.

BUT they all run from $1100-2800 n up.

Ours were $399. Happy as a first Yak but I can already see me moving up into a bigger more stable one that can also carry more safety.

I'm about 45 lbs from mine's max weight load when I got all my stuff on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apiazza

Chad is on the Bonafide now. Great fishing platform. Especially good if you plan to motor it, little less so if you ever plan to make a long paddle.

They have come a long way. I fished out if my $500 perception and enjoyed it but I could see where the limitations were. Paddling and real distance was killer in the shoulder especially with with wind. It also didn't have the hull to support standing and fishing. The native fixes both those issues (granted at a much higher price point).

The kayak is my only means of fishing other than I bank so I was willing to spend the money. I have my Garmin wired up and so far very happy. I will get some more detailed photos for everyone. If there is anything you are curious of just let me know.

SteveTX

Quote from: FD on April 11, 2021, 03:34:12 AM
There was a nationalr yak tourney here a few months ago.  Some of the rigs that came down my canal were super impressive.  Micro power pole, Trolling Motors, electronics and more.  One came by at what looked like 5 mph!  We need some more pics of your rig up close.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures
Quote from: BarryFL on April 11, 2021, 06:17:35 AM
+1 on FL lizards.

~Barry~
For the most part here the lizards aren't a issue here. What we do have plenty of are them 3 to 5ft worms with fangs.
Surprisingly some of them are very curious and have tried to get in my boat several times. There is no way in he__ I could go back in the shallows with all the pads and crap that I like to fish, sitting down low in that little confined space.
Maybe living somewhere there are no huge lizards, or 3 to 5ft worms with fangs maybe.

BarryFL

Walt had one try and get in his boat. LOL.

~Barry~

~Barry~

WTodd

Yeah I was in his "spot" and he wanted it back; so I gave it to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASSCATLILDAVE

apiazza

Couple more detailed photos of the way I have it rigged. I continue to use my homemade milk crate because it works. With all the Plano box storage spots the crate basically just has a lot of plastics and other small accessories in it.

Deadeye

Looks Good

I chose the same Net. Simple Easy and it Floats.

I have a HB that I plan to set up for the Yak but haven't yet. Yak Attack makes a few different options for mounting the Transducer and Unit including a Combo Pack that holds the battery, and secures both the Unit and the Transducer arm and it all mounts on the Rail for easy on-easy off. Considering that.