Belton Lake Central Texas 25 April 21

Started by Donald Garner, April 25, 2021, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings to everyone,

Its been a while but the Stratos got wet this afternoon.  I launched out of Bass Landing over at Blora > Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area< on Ft. Hood.
Weather conditions:
Blue Bird Skies with forecasted temps of 63 - 83dgrs with 64% humidity and a SE wind of 9mphs gusting to 12mphs.

Lake Conditions
Lake is Clear for the most part but the back of the coves were muddied up from the wind.
Water temps were 65 - 67dgrs depending on your location

I fished from 3pm - 7pm and it was a real grind fighting that wind.  I ran the trolling motor on high the whole time.  I managed to boat a total of (3) bass during this trip.  All my fish were caught from the North Bluff Area across from Blora.  (2) of the fish were short a  largemouth and a smallmouth.  The lone keeper largemouth measured out at 15inches.

The first largemouth of the day was a short fish I hooked a D.W. Vert Painted Shad Colored Square Bill
D.W. Vert's Crankbait

Location and screen shot. Click on the picture to enlarge it of 1st bass location

My second fish of the trip was the smallmouth.   It was a short fish but it fought like a full growth one.  I caught it on Strike King Hack Attack Swim Jig in the "woops"y Shad Color.  I had a white curly tail grub attached as a trailer.
Strike King 3/8 oz Hack Attack "woops"y Shad Swim Jig with trailer

Location bank line structure where the smallmouth came from.

The lone keeper bass of the trip was caught on a KaRue 3/8oz Orange Craw ViberShock Bladed jig.
The bait; 15in Largemouth; Bankline Structure picture
KaRue 3/8oz Orange Craw Bladed Jig

Equipment used during trip
Crankbait Setup: Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (M) Fast Action Casting Rod; Reel > ABU Garcia Orra Winch Low Profile 5.4:1 Baitcasting Reel; Line > Berkley Big Game Clear 15lb Mono; Lure > D.W. Vert's Shad Colored Square Bill Crankbait.

Swim Jig Setup:  Rod> Dobyns Fury 734C 7ft 3in Heavy Fast Action Casting Rod; Reel > ABU Garcia Revo S Low Profile 6.4:1 Baitcasting Reel; Line > Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb Mono; Lure > Strike King 3/8 oz "woops"y Shad Swim Jig w/ Zoom White Curly Tail Grub

Bladed Jig Setup: Rod >Dobyns Fury 734C 7ft 3in Heavy Fast Action Casting Rod; Reel > ABU Garcia Revo S Low Profile 6.4:1 Baitcasting Reel; Line > Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb Mono; Lure >  KaRue 3/8oz ViberShock Orange Craw with Reaction Innovation Sweet Beaver 4.20 Fried Watermelon Trailer

The UB Fishing Machine
2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL Dual Console w/ Yamaha 150 VMax; MinnKota 80lb foot control trolling motor; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

I really enjoy the detail of your reports Donald, thank you for sharing. Despite the wind, you weren't skunked. Well done.  ~c~

Mike Cork

Wind always makes it challenging. Good thing you weren't Toledo or Rayburn  :surrender: Congrats on the catches.

Boy that Stratos is still looking great.

You are entered in the Dobyns Champion series rod giveaway. Keep posting reports to get more entries.
Contest Rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 26, 2021, 05:53:00 AM
I really enjoy the detail of your reports Donald, thank you for sharing. Despite the wind, you weren't skunked. Well done.  ~c~
Lou tks for the comments.  That wind is the devil on this lake especially when fishing this area.

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 26, 2021, 07:33:09 AM
Wind always makes it challenging. Good thing you weren't Toledo or Rayburn  :surrender: Congrats on the catches.
Boy that Stratos is still looking great.
You are entered in the Dobyns Champion series rod giveaway. Keep posting reports to get more entries.
Contest Rules

The wind is murder on this lake.  There aren't any places really to get out of it here.  Unlike Toledo or Rayburn those big creeks can shelter you a little.
Yes sir the Stratos is still looking pretty good.  I need to have a Carport cover constructed to protect it better from these Texas Summers.  She got another 'Character Scratch' put on her yesterday.  The wind blew me into a tree and the limb almost took out my Windshield and Lowrance that's mounted next to the drivers console  ~shade

Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Mike Cork

Oh no not the Lowrance... And windshield are hard to find items. Glad they survived..

Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 26, 2021, 11:12:38 AM
Oh no not the Lowrance... And windshield are hard to find items. Glad they survived..

Yeah me too  ~sweat  They don't make that model of Lowrance anymore.  The windshields can be found but are expensive.

Mike Cork

What model is it? More importantly what color is the connector for the transducer and power cord? Blue?

Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Donald Garner

Quote from: coldfront on April 26, 2021, 12:40:00 PM
good work don. ~c~

CF, tks for the comment.  I'm still trying to find these Big Smallmouths we have here.   

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 26, 2021, 12:39:26 PM
What model is it? More importantly what color is the connector for the transducer and power cord? Blue?

Its a Hook 7.  The power cord cable & connector is Red; The Transducer cable & connector is blue.