96 Skeeter 200 ZX- Feedback requested

Started by lewis_is_bassin, November 09, 2021, 12:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewis_is_bassin

I'm currently considering buying a 96 Skeeter 200 Zx. The boat overall is in really good conditions structurally. However, cosmetically, the top cap is covered in tons of gel coat cracks. My two questions are, does anyone have feedback about the ride of this model and two, are the gel coat cracks normal for this model? Picture below for reference.

lewis_is_bassin

The sides, hull, and transom are in great conditions.

Princeton_Man

Wow, I've never seen such uniform cracking! My first thought is that it's taken a lot of beatings, but with such uniformity, I wonder if there's a flaw in the gelcoat.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

I would send that photo to Skeeter and find out what that means. with such uniformity I'd say there is something very specific that caused it. It could just be the outer clear coat and not all the way through, in which case it could be a separation of the clear coat from the gel coat and there isn't a structural issue at all, however I'd want to get a professional review of it.

As far as the ride. I had this very model and absolutely loved it. To be honest I'd probably still drive it today except I tossed it down the highway in a jack knifing accident in 2000. I had a 200 Mariner on it and ran about 71 mph. It handled rough water absolutely amazing. Once trimmed out the steering was very comfortable.

If you have any specific concerns about handling, let me know.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

lewis_is_bassin

Thanks, all. I appreciate the feedback. Good idea about contacting Skeeter, I'll do that first thing tomorrow.

Also glad to hear these models handle rough water well. Just out of curiosity, how was storage and any idea about rod locker length, meaning how big of a rod could one fit in there.

Mike Cork

I bought mine new and lived in northern california. The longest rod I owned at the time was 7'3". I had a telescoping flipping stick. I can't remember if I had to break the flipping stick down or if I could let it stand at full length. I never had a complaint about storage. It even had an icebox for soda and ice in the floor.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service