2005 tzx 190 new to me

Started by Materman, June 19, 2021, 08:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Materman

Hi guys
I'm new to boating and just boat a 2005 TZX w/150 Mercury to enjoy with my grand boys.  On the demo ride, the boat came out of the hole w/2 onboard and no gear GREAT.  Bought the boat..... then get home....fill gas tank...load gear, cooler etc for a week on the lake.  With two onboard, the boat stood up and WOULD NOT come out of the hole.  My passenger finally had to lay on front to get up on plane. Oh, and the boat starts to porpoise very easily once it does get up to plane. Talked with previous owner and got no suggestions.  It does have a manually adjustable jack plate that has obvious markings where someone has been adjusting on it.  I just learned how to measure pad to prop distance this morning but  have not found my number yet.  What approximately should the pad to prop shaft number be?  Please, suggestions on where to begin to solve my problem will be greatly appreciated by me and my grand sons!!!!!!  TY in advance

Donald Garner

Materman,

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here. 

I'm sure once the Skeeter Guys see this they'll be able to help you with that issue you're having.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Welcome aboard!  ~c~

Start out at 3 1/2 inches.

Big question is; What pitch prop are you running? What are your Wide Open Throttle RPMs?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Materman

Thank you for responding.  Don't know either question yet but will will find out ASAP(raining cats and dogs here in central MS due to tropical storm).  I have seen on here that 3 1/2" is a good starting point so that is the first thing I'll be checking.  TY

oldjim

I have a zx190,  you should start by lowering trim to lowest level mash throttle and start easing back on the trim until you see speed begin to pick up and slowly continue raising the trim to get to the speed you want, to much trim up and you will blow out, experence will show when to stop raising trim. if you want faster speeds then you can look at changing jack plate levels.
oldjim

Materman

I always start out with trim fully down.....with boat loaded it just plows through the water and will not come up on plane.  If I have my passenger lay on platform up front it will come up and plane.  Boat also porpoises really easy.  suggestions??

Materman

I'm not looking for speed.....  all I want is for it to plane out with my two grand sons, myself, and gear

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Materman on June 19, 2021, 11:46:47 AM
I'm not looking for speed.....  all I want is for it to plane out with my two grand sons, myself, and gear

Sounds more like a problem of learning how to use your boat.  I would suggest that you recruit an experienced bass boat owner to show you the ropes of how it is done.  I think you will quickly pick up on the process quick enough once you get a little bit of instruction.  With this information then you will know if any changes are warranted.  You say that during your check ride all worked well.  that indicates that the boat may be just fine just a little lack of experience might be the issue.  It is hard to recommend anything else at this time until you get to know the basics.  I agree it appears to be learning how to trim your boat properly.

Bud Kennedy

As a basic starter as others have mentioned start with the motor trimmed down.  As you apply throttle the bow will start to come up and that is when you should be starting to trim up.  Think of the trim tilt guage in a o to 100% scale.  If you start at 0 then your target trim should be somewhere between 25% moving to 50%.  this should bet you safely on plane and then you can begin to trim up further (slowly) until you find your sweet spot.  You will learn soon enough where your boat performs best.  Major warning, do not try to power your way through if your boat begins to porpoise.  These are factors of trim control, throttle control and hull design.  As you gain seat time this will all become second nature.  We all remember being where you seem to be now and trust me it will get better but be patient.

Materman

This past week while on vacation on a beautiful lake in N Alabama, an experienced bass boat friend was with me (as driver) and he didn't know what was wrong with the boat.  Tried everything.  When I laid on platform as far up front as I could get, boat came up on plane just fine.  Moved as much gear up front as was possible........ he said "I just don't know what's wrong"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Materman on June 19, 2021, 02:16:01 PM
This past week while on vacation on a beautiful lake in N Alabama, an experienced bass boat friend was with me (as driver) and he didn't know what was wrong with the boat.  Tried everything.  When I laid on platform as far up front as I could get, boat came up on plane just fine.  Moved as much gear up front as was possible........ he said "I just don't know what's wrong"
Materman, Have you pulled you drain plug/checked and checked your bilge? I'm just wondering if your rig is hold water. It sounds as though it performed great when you took it out for a test ride and progressively got worse.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Materman

Hull is dry...... Just was able to measure distance between leveled pad and prop shaft..... 2 7/8"....
w/23 M prop....... Mercury 150.  I have been seeing 3 1/2" is an average starting point.  If I understand right, I need to lower jack plate 1/2" and see if that helps?  I believe the previous owner fished alone and was only trying to get speed out of it.  I noticed when I was loaded light and got on plane, the slightest trim up I was able to feel a noticeable difference in speed and engine rpm.  I believe I need to lower engine for starters.....??

Bud Kennedy

That sounds like a good starting point to lower the motor a bit.  If you are going to still fish with a lot of weight in your boat you will likely have to go a bit taller on your prop.  On my old Ranger with a Johnson 150 fast strike, I recently went to a 4 blade 25 Pitch prop and it made all the difference in the world.  Not a speed merchant by any means but it really jumps out of the hole to get on plane in the blink of an eye.  I wanted a 24 pitch prop but  opted for a 25 and I am glad I did.

Materman

I want to thank everyone for all their suggestions.  I'm going to implement several suggestions and then buy a different prop if need be.  All I want is to be able to carry my 13 and 15 yo grandsons fishing when they want until girls are chosen over PAW!!!!!

Materman

Oh, where do I start looking for a prop and approximately what does one cost?

Bud Kennedy

If you go to the Mercury web site they have a prop selection tool that may reveal their recommendation for your prop needs.  Your 23 may turn out to be just fine but somehow I doubt it.  Lots of places to purchase props and you will find pricing in the $300 to $600 range  The only thing to beware of would be used props as they can be problematic.  You really got to be careful not to buy some ebay junk.

When I recently bought my new prop I went to Solas and the cost was $276.00 + $10 shipping.  I am sure if you go with a mercury prop like a fury or trophy model it will be much more.  First step is the Merc website for the prop selection tool

Materman

Thank everyone for all your suggestions.  I really appreciate it.

New Old Kid On The Block