Hi Vis Braid Hype

Started by FlatsNBay, June 21, 2021, 08:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

I bought into the craze and tried some hi vis yellow braid for my finesse spinning rod. I've been testing it for the last 6 months or so.

My overall impression is unless you have poor eyesight and can't see standard green braid, then maybe the hi vis yellow braid would be an advantage and easier to see. Other than that, I really so no difference in picking up and seeing line movement any better with hi vis vs. green colored braid for the average angler. It really hasn't been any easier to see for me.

Anybody else notice any difference in seeing hits and line movement better with high vis braid?

For me, I'm not sold on any perceived advantages. I'm not an eagle eye or anything but just have average vision.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

BassmanRudy

For me I really really like the high vis stuff! Dark green or black braid I have a hard time seeing especially while flipping way back into trees. Now in full sun it doesn't matter either way but low light or while skipping way back under docks seeing the faintest of "line ticks" has 100% helped me catch fish I never would have. I still do sharpie the last few feet just for confidence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Bud Kennedy

I have been using hi viz yellow for about two years now.  I only have one working eye so it really helps me see the line and line movement.  Our water here is black and with my traditional moss green braid it was very hard to see but I have to attribute to my diminished eye sight.  Bottom line is the hi viz has not had a negative effect on fish catching so I will likely be staying with it.

Pat Dilling

Being an old guy with lousy color vision, yellow or light green line makes a big difference for me. I just use it with leader on my spinning rigs. 
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Smallie_Stalker

My vision is not the best so I started using hi-viz line out of necessity. I fish gin clear glacial lakes and have not noticed any negatives with the hi-viz braid as far as catch rates go.

Like all other things in fishing it just boils down to what works best for the individual angler.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

geneinnc

The brighter the better when finesse fishing. Ned and shaky heads especially since the bite is so subtle. Bright yellow is my go to.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ike8120

I personally like it on my setups that I use braid with FC leader. On my chatterbait and froggin setups I use straight green braid.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Oldfart9999

Like they say, "different strokes for different folks". If you don't see a need then don't use it, some of us, specially seasoned types, get better results so we'll use it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

I'm still blessed with relatively good vision and while I've never used it much, I can see how it might help with line watch techniques. It's probably fantastic for night fishing with black lights. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FlatsNBay

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one at seeing a benefit. Thanks for the comments and input.

Capt. BassinLou

I have found Hi Vis braid to be useful, when I throw it. I found it helpful when frogging in the thick stuff. Helps me visually identify if the the bass took the frog. I will agree with an earlier comment in regards to brighter days. There's no advantage with the yellow or the moss.

Smallie_Stalker

I would also add that if you wear polarized sunglasses while fishing certain lens colors will interfere with being able to see the hi-viz braid just like it can with the low-viz stuff. 
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

65 pound Hi Vis on my Frog rod thrown in the thick weeds.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

coldfront

my low-vis green braid is now high-vis 'straw-colored' braid.
one thing older anglers learn?  patience.
lo

Oldfart9999

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 22, 2021, 11:19:36 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority on this one at seeing a benefit. Thanks for the comments and input.

I don't really need it when it's bright and sunny but let it get cloudy or dark then I need all the help I can get. I've found that it doesn't bother the fish so I'm slowly changing over to it for everything. Dont' get out much so line lasts me a long time.
rodney

jwkelley51

I use 15 lb yellow on my spinning stuff. I tried green in 10 lb and caught noticeably less fish. Turns out I'm a line watcher, it doesn't really have to move, just look hinky and I couldn't tell it with the 10 lb. green. Maybe it was the diameter but it was bad for me. If a fish is looking up with the sky as a background it seems to me that the dark line might be easier to see. Either way I use a 7 ft. leader on it.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: jwkelley51 on June 25, 2021, 11:17:21 AM
I use 15 lb yellow on my spinning stuff. I tried green in 10 lb and caught noticeably less fish. Turns out I'm a line watcher, it doesn't really have to move, just look hinky and I couldn't tell it with the 10 lb. green. Maybe it was the diameter but it was bad for me. If a fish is looking up with the sky as a background it seems to me that the dark line might be easier to see. Either way I use a 7 ft. leader on it.

Try the Hi-Viz without a leader, you might be pleasantly surprised at not having to tie an extra knot.
Rodney

Pferox

It is so bad that I'm now using all hi viz line, even mono and copoly.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim