Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

July 2021 Home Front Activities

(Read 3410 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Good evening to everyone,

Here we are July the 7th month of the year is here already  ~shade
This year is half over with already  :shocking:

I hope the new month brings good health to those members that are needing it.  I have everyone in my daily prayers. 

With the new month upon us there is the opportunity for a new Personal Best to be caught and landed.  If you happen to have that occur make sure you take lots of pictures and provide us a brief story line to go with it   ;)

To everyone in the UltimateBass Family be safe in your travels if your out and about.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Good morning to everyone,

We got bright sunny skies all across Central Texas today.  I'm off to visit the wife and son up in Irving, TX once I get off work today.
Ya'll all have a Safe and Pleasant 4th of July weekend. 

I'll holler once I get back home on Sunday afternoon.

Don
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Marine Coat One

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Yíall ainít gonna believe this. Then again with the shenanigans I get into, you just might.

I got in a fight with a revolving door today and lost.
I had to visit an attorneyís office in this big fancy building to sign off on a land donation. First time Iíve ever seen a revolving door in my life, so I got excited and may have been a bit enthusiastic when I started pushing.

First thing to know, them dang things donít spin as easy as they look in the movies, so I smacked my face right into the glass.
Knocked my Stetson off and set this whole thing in motion.

Then I bounced across the side glass.

I fell to my knees and rolled into the lobby, then reached out and tried to pull an Indiana Jones move and snatch my hat back before the door revolved it out of reach. I pulled back before it got a chance to take off my hand.

No luck. I chased my hat via entering the next section, mistakenly pushing it faster. By this point the door has momentum, and as my hat got spit back out onto the sidewalk the door kept pushing me until I found myself back in the lobby of this seven floor black glass building.

So I went around again! Hopped back in the Devilís gate and jumped as soon as I saw daylight.

This time I found myself back outside the building. Picked my hat up and put it back on my head, and walked over to the NORMAL DOOR and walked in hoping like hell no one saw all that.

Of course I had an audience. I just waved and said ďFirst time.Ē And kept walking. To the elevators, which thankfully only require a simple button to operate.

topdsm0138

• Charter Member

Well, no more OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom), we have officially pulled out. (Good, because it was a total waste..), so now I went back to Jordan for good as part of OIR (Operation Inherent Resolve) for the remainder of my tour. Two operations in one deployment, at 41yrs old. Let's see the newer generations try that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the Evinrude E-tec? I got a new in box, 2019 30hp tiller shipped to my home for only 2800 bucks. (Wife was not happy about having to move that box by hereself...lol) Now to pick up the boat and trailer once I get back.
Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 12:12:28 AM by topdsm0138
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Simon Belmont

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! 63 headed to 70s, possible showers and/or boomers, boomers last night. Got my new batteries in yesterday along with my new charger and main battery shutoff, I'm sore. My knee got bent into several new shapes but the back was babied. Need to check my flares and fire extinguisher for date, get the trailer inspected and I'll be good to go.
SHC, that's just one of the many traps us city slickers have laying in wait for you country type folks. lo I must say, you enjoy a very exciting never a dull moment style of life.
Bud, how are feeling, better I hope!!!
Top, that should be a good motor for you Congrats on ending one operation and moving to another one, I think. Do you know that since WW2 no Declaration of War has been  sought or given, to my way of thinking that's too much power given to the Executive.
Donald, have a great weekend!!!
Have a great day, weekend and 4th, be well!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I did my twofer when I was 19, thatís good enough for me. I have no illusions that I could still keep up, and kids these days canít even keep up with me.

topdsm0138

• Charter Member
I did my twofer when I was 19, thatís good enough for me. I have no illusions that I could still keep up, and kids these days canít even keep up with me.
I know what ya mean. I ain't exactly in the best shape of my life, but I'm in a helluva lot better shape than these kids walking around with a USB flashdrive hanging out of their mouth. God forbid they have to run, kids built like track stars but out of breath in 20 steps.

You know what's odd here? I now have great internet service and signal, even though some sites are blocked by Jordanian Gov. IE: I can log on to UB just fine, but can't log onto Bassmaster.com?! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over...

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! Cool and damp. Getting ready for 2 days of smoking and grilling, nothing special, burgers and hots, burgers made 50/50 with sausage, gruyere cheese on the inside, they'll be smoked, pop open hots on the grill, salad from the grill. Burp lo
I hope everybody has a great 4th, the day we celebrate our freedom!!!
Rodney

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Step one: call after hours customer service
Step two: request call back from ďlaborerĒ (GFY) when theyíre on site
Step three: donít answer your phone when I call
Step four: call after hours customer service again to complain. They WILL check my location and call logs.

These are four steps for getting me some overtime, REALLY pissing me off, and getting customer service to tag your account as ďbusiness hours service onlyĒ, which means they will never again send me to your house after hours for a service call.

On the upside, the moment I pull out of my driveway I automatically get minimum 4 hours OT. In the past year and a half Iíve had one call that took 30 minutes, and one time I didnít even make it to the river a mile away when the customer called me back to say ďnever mind, I found the valve and turned the water off myself.Ē

One really sweet call that happened, I was on my way home from work, after hours, and got a call from the after hours customer service. I was going from Winfield to West Monroe, passing my sites on Caney lake that Iíd already serviced that morning. This call was for one of my Caney Lake sites. I was able to swing in and turn off a customerís service so they could do repairs and continue on my way. I explained to my supervisor that I wasnít even off the clock yet as I was still technically at work and just happened to be passing by at the right time. Donít matter. The moment I answered the call I got 4 hours OT, PLUS I was still on the clock for the rest of the hour ride home.

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
About to tell our son he needs to use the bathroom out in the woods behind the barn.

I had to leave the house and go for a ride with my windows down. And I work with raw sewage!

If yíall see an obituary for me that says I went peacefully and in my sleep, yíall can bet your lifeís earnings this dude farted.

topdsm0138

• Charter Member
I know the feeling. My son has his own bathroom but insists on coming into our room to use ours because "I don't want my room to stink." He's 17...

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Greetings to all,

Its been raining on and off since about 10am this morning.  Our forecasted temps for today were 72-85dgrs with 87% humidity and we got an E wind at 9mph.  There is rain in the forecast everyday this week  ~rain

The drive up and back to Irving, TX was safe.  Lots of traffic going up on Thursday night and very little coming back home early this Sunday morning. 

Dwayne has done well on all his evaluations so far.  His doctor up in Anchorage, Alaska gave the staff here in Irving, TX the ok for him to take part in the drivers evaluations using the simulators they have.  Next Monday is his last day here at the clinic.  Hopefully he'll do well his last week and he'll get cleared to start back to driving and being on his own.   I know he is ready to go.  Thankyou all for your prayers for Dwayne.  We really appreciate them.

It's back to work tomorrow.  We're going to start floor cleaning all the restrooms (85) of them total in the bldg tomorrow.  The only one's not being cleaned this week will be the ones in the Athletic Area.  The entire Athletic Area will be cleaned next week.

I hope everyone is enjoying the 4th of July weekend.  Ya'll be safe with the fireworks and traveling on the highways especially tomorrow.

SHC; Tks for sharing you day with us on visiting the Big City  ~roflmao  My side was hurting after reading that.

Top; Tks for the deployment update.  We have you in our daily prayers.  I can see why you wife was PO'd.   Those small outboards don't look all that heavy but they sure are  ;)

Rodney; Enjoy the 4th.  Are your kids coming over the day to enjoy that back yard setting and your outstanding cooking?

Bud; Hope you're feeling a lot better and able to enjoy the 4th.

To everyone have a Blessed Day tomorrow and enjoy the time with family and friends.
Personal Best 8.33lbs

topdsm0138

• Charter Member
Start the week off with a laugh.

Dog

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Don glad to hear Dwayne is doing so good. I hope he keeps doing so.
Hope everyone else is doing good.
Well lake I fish all ramps are out of water so now I need to find another lake that I can launch at.
Sucks new boat and cant go use it. I did get the stereo install finished up and everything thing else now its clean the boat up and put it away until I can launch it somewhere.
Mounted the speakers in a useless storage area works good and still have plenty of room to try and put somethings in.
Everyone have a great week and stay safe and well.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Hope everyone had a great 4th.  Kinda boring around here since being held captive by this summer cold/flu deal.  I am feeling better but just a by small increments each day.  At least it is progress.  I did sleep in bed last night for the first time in over a week.  Still very tired also. I am so used to the ever present list of duties I have to perform.  I can still get some of them done it just takes me a bit longer than usual.

Had the boat here for a couple of days just so I could sit in the garage and stare at it.  I got the batteries all charged up and thats about it.  Took the boat back to storage today until the tropical deal passes our area on Wednesday or Thursday.  I am hoping that there is some fishing in my future but I suspect it could be a couple weeks away before it happens.  Gonna try to mow the back yards this evening and will do the front yards tomorrow morning.  It has been hot so you have to do your outside stuff when it is a bit more comfortable.  I know I need to get it done before the tropical rains expected on Wednesday or Thursday. 

Marine Coat One

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Got the brake master cylinder swapped in my truck. Bled the brakes and got BLACK fluid with debris. I just kept bleeding until it came out clear.
So, now Iíve got brakes again, and theyíre better than before. But Iím thinking itís a good idea to invest in pads, rotors and either rebuilding or replacing the calipers. The pads are okay, but the lying preacher man cut so many corners on maintenance I just feel like itís a good idea. Theyíre probably the cheapest pads on the market. Gonna have to service those rear drums too. I know how those get neglected, probably got the original shoes from 23 years ago and rocking a quarter million miles.

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! 72 when I got up, headed to 87, possible showers, muggy as all get out. Went on-line to get my fishing license, took 5 or 6 go arounds to finally get it. It seems that in it's great wisdom decided to contract out the licensing, too bad they didn't give the contract to a company that knows how to do the job they're paid to do.
SHC, good job on the brakes, most folks don't realize that brake fluid is hydroscopic, it holds water, they find out when suddenly they have no brakes and no brake fluid. When your life depends on the brakes why do you want to skimp on the parts that stop the vehicle?
Top, thanks for the funny pics!
Dog, have you fished from the new boat yet? How do you like the way it handles?
Bud, good that you're making progress even if it is slow.  I'm as itchy as you are to get out and wet a line, soon, getting closer.
Donald, good news about Dwayne, sounds like you might get a trip fishing or 2 before he goes back home. Sounds like the crew is working out well, good deal that makes life a bit easier. My yougest son was over for my special burgers along with a very good friend of my wife, my wife's 2 brothers here came over yesterday for pop open hot dogs. I smoked smoked the burgers and the baked beans, came out great. It was a quiet weekend and celebration. Were you able to to enjoy at least aprt of it?
Have a great day, be well!!!
Rodney 

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Yep, I learned my lesson about brake fluid when I had to completely rebuild the brake system on my old motorcycle. Now I recommend to everyone to at least bleed them once a year, even if everything else is in perfect order. Itís just part of my regular preventative maintenance now, no different than changing oil and filters. Itís real simple, you let the fluids go bad, then the components go bad and youíre just looking at more money to fix things. A big bottle of brake fluid costs less than ten bucks and is usually enough for me to bleed 4 vehicles and have some left over. I donít save the stuff because of the fact itís hydroscopic. A full brake system overhaul can cost well over a grand easily. Itís just not economically smart to skimp on preventative maintenance.
And I donít know for sure, havenít researched or studied it, but I THINK this may be even more critical on vehicles that arenít driven much, like the motorcycle and both my other vehicles.
Now Iím looking at a major overhaul of my truckís brake system due to neglect, and the car is just due for it anyway due to time and mileage. At least I know the calipers on it are good, but it needs rotors turned or replaced and new pads all around. Gotta get that done before the youngest gets his license later this year, as Iíll be passing this car on to him.

I gotta renew my fishing license too, but Iím pumped for it. See, I got a check for time and mileage to go to a VA appointment a couple weeks ago. Iím gonna deposit that check on my way to my favorite tackle shop, get my license and pick up a new Falcon Low Rider cranking rod while Iím there. YEE-YEE!
Pretty soon Iím gonna start selling off some gear. Iíve gotten dialed in to what I like and what I just donít use. Gonna keep my catfish rig, UL rig and the three bass rigs. Iíll be retiring my old 5000, but itíll never be sold and Iíll probably still break it out occasionally and get it wet as a spare catfish rig. I also have a drawer full of old reels, some in good condition, some in various states of restoration. Iíll probably keep the old 4 screw 5000 just because of its collectibility, everything else is most likely gonna go. I love the little 3600 Black max and Silver max round reels, but I just donít use em.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Greetings to everyone,

Mix bag of weather here today across Central Texas.  We had dense fog, over cast skies, sun and it rained on 3 different occasions today.   Its now sunny.  The forecasted temps were 71-89dgrs with 73% humidity with a SE wind @ 9mphs.

Another busy day at the fun farm.  I got an email letting me know the school needs to be ready for business by the 2nd of Aug  ~shade  I just started laughing while I was reading it.  I talked to my Supervisor about that email and she told me the other High School got one also. 

This really makes me wonder if the Powers to be downtown even know what it takes to conduct a Summer Cleaning?  By the close of business tomorrow the only areas I still need to clean is the Athletics Area.  We got 19 locker rooms to clean and each one has their own restroom and shower area.  Along with the locker room there's 2 weight rooms and half dozen offices and a Training Room to clean.  I can't get in there to clean due to Football Practice is going on.  We'll start next Monday morning cleaning the Athletic Area.  In the morning we're putting the finishing touches to the Admin Office Area and Nurse's Office. 

SHC; Sounds as if you've been a busy man getting the maintenance caught up on your truck.  Good luck on getting everything accomplished on it. 

Rodney;   Alright we're getting even closer now to the water.  The man has purchased his fishing licenses  ~c~  Sounds like you had a Back Yard full of relatives and friends over to enjoy the cook out.  Glad ya'll had a relaxing and pleasant day.  We didn't do anything this year in celebrating the 4th of July.  I got up early and drove back home from Irving.  Driving on Interstate 35 is always high adventure driving through Dallas and Waco.    In the past we did grill out and attend the rodeo at the Expo Center.   Beings we weren't home this year we just had a quiet dinner at Olive Garden Saturday Night before I left Sunday morning.

Bud; Glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better.  Hope you getting back to 100% here soon.

Dog; Tks for the prayers for Dwayne.  I too hope he continues to improve.  Too bad about the weather ya are having out there.  Our lakes  here are over filled with water and some of the boat ramps and parking lots are closed due to HIGH WATER.

Top; Glad you are out of that other place.  You're closer to home but still a day's flight away.  Tks for sharing those pictures with us.  I like the one with the AT4.  That's a fun weapon system to fire. 

You guys all take care and be safe in your travels if you're out and about.
Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:35:30 PM by Donald Garner
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Good evening!!!  Cool and wet today. Quiet sort of day, we did take a trip to BASS PRO, first time in 2 years. I didn't  buy anything, my wife bought a couple of items. We had lunch at Chili's then home. They had maybe 6 boats, next to nothing in electronics, no trolling motors and few reels. Other tackle they were in good shape on. Must have been an open, they tend to break their equipment.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Good evening from Belton, Texas  ;)

Beautiful day across Central Texas today.  We had lots of sun and humidity today.  Our forecasted temps were 70-94dgrs with 60%humidity and a SE wind @ 8mphs.

Somewhat busy day today.  We finished up yesterdays tasks and got 1/2 of the cafeteria done and the furniture reestablished.  Tomorrow morning we'll tackle the other half of the cafeteria.  With that task accomplished tomorrow the only area left we can clean is Athletics.  We'll get on that area starting Monday morning.

Nothing else is going on.  Dwayne is still attending his out patient treatments up there in Irving, TX.  His last appointment will be Monday the 12th of of July.  I'm driving up Monday night to help the wife get packed up from the hotel stay her and Dwayne endured for the past 3 weeks.  We'll be heading back home Tuesday morning after the DFW traffic thins out.  Sure will be glad when they get back home.  We'll know Monday what additional treatment if any Dwayne will have to face.  Hopefully this will be the end of his treatments and he'll be cleared to get on with his life.  To everyone thank you all for your continued prayers for Dwayne.  My wife and I truly appreciate them as does Dwayne.

Rodney;   Glad you had the opportunity to get out and about.  I can remember when going to the BPS was an adventure.  Dwayne and I stopped in the BPS in Grapevine a couple weeks ago.  The only boat they had in the store was a pontoon boat.  I asked the sales associate were the boats were and he told me they had ZERO.  They didn't have any boats outside in the parking lot on display either.   Every boat they had on display got sold.  We checked out the off road vehicles.   Made a quick pass through the fishing tackle and hunting department.  After that we called it a day. after that.  My good man you have a very pleasant week ahead whets left of it. 

To everyone I hope ya'll had a pleasant day today .  Be safe in your travels if you're having to get out.
Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:41:34 PM by Donald Garner
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! 63 headed to 81, possible boomers and showers, hope they don't interfere with the on going boat work. Just need to gas up the boat and float it off the trailer so I can tighten a bunk screw, I do need check out the lights first though. Shopping day, I get to run amok in Wegmans again, "look out, get outta my way, I'm a man on a mission and aint going to dawdle". lo lo I dislike shopping so I want it over with as soon as possible, I have come to dislike those what need to block a whole isle either shopping or gabbing with others, excuse me, excuse me, EXCUSE ME, MOVE IT, I'm terrible. My wife says I need to be patient, I tell I am I gave them 2 excuse me gently. lo lo
SHC, I think you're right as far as quality goes, the better you can afford the better the job, after all, you only live once. I no longer do my own work, if I think there is anything wrong I'm not afraid to have it checked out, after all, you only live once and I plan on haunting my kids and you good folks at UB for a long time. lo
Top, I agree with Donald, you guys do get some cool toys to play with. lo ;)
Donald, so Monday you'll be bringing your wife and son home, good deal!!! Prayers still coming. The powers that be see somebody push a floor polisher around and think that's all there is to it, they have no clue as to what really has to happen and they won't sully there hands or bother to see what all you folks do and have to do to do your jobs right. I think it's the old Peter Principal in action, it's interesting how they no everything about a job they would never do. Yep, I can taste the early morning 2 stroke smoke now, really looking forward to pumping up the fuel and hitting the key for real, the good news for me is that Merc 50 starts real easy, I love it!!! ;D ;D I'm high on anticipation of the tug on my string saying I"M A BASS!!! ;D ;D ;D Don't care if it's a slob or a dink. lo
Have a great day, be well!!!
Rodney   

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
The remnants of the tropical storm came through this morning but did not amount to much.  It rained about and hour leaving about 1.5" of rain.  Winds were gusty at about 25 and there was a lot of lightning  It remained cloudy and windy the entire day with temps only in the low 80s. 

Still a bit under the weather here with this dang summer cold/flu or what ever it is.  Returning to the doctor in the morning to try to seek some additional relief.  Still can't breathe with the sinuses all blocked and that also means no sleep for me.  Only been able to pull off short cat naps over night while sitting in a chair.  Sure hoping the doc can do something for me in the morning.  His last recommendations were more for a long term cure but my problem is now and I am seeking desperate action if you know what I mean.

Donald hope Dwane gets the green light on Monday and you guys can start putting your life back into a more routine flow.  That has to be hard on all of you with this past three weeks of treatment up in Irving.  I am very familiar with that area and believe me I know what a pita the 35 can be.  Safe travels and bring em home on Monday.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Good evening to everyone,

Bright sunny skies covered Central Texas today  ~sun  Our forecasted temps were 72-95dgrs with 52% humidity.  We had an E wind @ 12mphs.  We got rain in the forecast tomorrow and into the weekend. 

My arthritis in my right ankle is acting up again.  I'm working through the pain though.  We got the cafeteria done this afternoon.  Monday we're going to start on the Athletic Area.  The contractors working on the Dance Studio, Both Gyms and the stage at the Performing Arts Center are waiting on materials to arrive.  There is nothing planned for the next 3 days except relax and rest. 

Guys thanks for all the continue prayers for Dwayne.  I know he's ready to head back home to Anchorage and get his life back in order.

Bud; We have ya in our daily prayers buddy.  Sure hope you get to feeling better real soon.  Tks for the prayers and positive thoughts for Dwayne.  Its been a long 3 weeks and I know my wife is tried of living in a hotel.  Although the one they've been staying in is pretty nice.  It right next door to the Treatment Center and there's plenty of shopping around the area for her to spend time.  I - 35 hasn't changed any since you last drove it.  Construction is ALWAYS on going and the people traveling it drive like there's no tomorrow.   Monday can't get here soon enough for sure.

Rodney; Oh the joys of shopping  ~shade  Glad to hear your morning was fun filled etc at the store.  Thank you for the continued prayers and positive thoughts for Dwayne.  Nothing like that 2 stroke smoke first thing in the morning.  Buddy you deserve a New Personal Best on that first trip out.  You enjoy the time out on the water.  I hope you have the best day ever.

Dog; Hope things have improved for ya out your way so you can go fishing.  How far do you live from the Delta?

SHC; You got your truck all back together yet?  Hope things are going well for you also.

To everyone have a Blessed Day tomorrow.
Personal Best 8.33lbs

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I still ainít made it to the tackle shop. Iíve got 118 hours on the clock for this two week pay period, and two more days to go! Iím looking at a minimum of about 132 IF everything goes extra smooth tomorrow. I donít expect it to.

Iím so tired yíall. Dinner tonight is baked chicken (I was gonna grill it but I canít even walk straight right now), sweet taters, mixed greens, maybe some Mac and cheese, and a roll or two.

Come on vacation! Weíre taking off 16-20. We plan on staying home, but POSSIBLY renting a cabin at Caney one or two nights just to get out of the house. Weíre both so tired. Been working too much.

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB