And So It Starts. Again.

Started by D.W. Verts, July 13, 2021, 08:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I'm having a hard time posting anything with the recent news of Bo, and Smallie's problems. But still, things have to go on, and I'm upright still, so although my sympathies and prayers remain with all of my UB family in need, I'm just going to keep on keepin' on, Lord willing.

So, these came in the mail today-

Now to use them. I'll be ordering one or two of those "sticks" pretty soon I imagine, but I was happy to find that these are compatible with my old Garmin Virb stuff, so as soon as I get it all dug out (that means as soon as I can FIND it all) I'll have a start to some hardware.

I read the directions a little while ago, something I don't generally do. I guess I have to run to town and get some of those micro card thingies- it says they won't work without them. My Cannon camcorder (which I'll continue to use) has a slot for one but I've never used it. I've shot very little' video with it however.

I assume that I'll have to buy some of those batteries for the remotes (although I KNOW I have some of them. Somewhere). I can't find anywhere in the instructions where it says anything about powering the remotes. And there's even a little booklet just for it. Hmmm.

A few apparent negatives before I even start. Nothing major, and for the relative cheapness of these things, completely acceptable-

They are not waterproof. You out them in a plastic box and call it good. Strange for an "action camera".

The remote is "splash proof", again, not water proof. Strange, for an... oh well.

The heat thing that's been talked about. It says it in the instructions- direct sunlight is hard on these things. Strange for a... Never mind. It's why my Garmin cost me $200+.

I think some sort of shadow box might be built to keep a camera cool. I'll have to think on it.

And just now UPS delivered me some more batteries that I ordered, giving me six total. I had eight with my Virb, and went thru all of them in a day.

This is a learning curve for a not always so bright Hickbilly. A technologically challenged dude, to boot. So, we'll see. I'm paying close attention to the other videographers and cinematologists here on UB. I think that I'm late to the game. We'll see.

Oh yeah- I've already shot some video. Some filler stuff, some boat stuff, "stuff " like that. I was bored, and I had my Cannon. This could get dangerous.

Peace.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

Yes, life goes on. And this is going to be a great distraction. A redneck with a camera is always interesting. Bring us some great content along with your personality should be interestin  ;Dg.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bassinkorea

Looking forward to whatever you record Dale  ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

D.W. Verts

You hear that honey? Whatever I record. Candi? Candi!

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bassinkorea

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 13, 2021, 11:19:45 PM
You hear that honey? Whatever I record. Candi? Candi!

Dale

Remember this is a family site  lo  :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Capt. BassinLou

Good stuff Dale. Late to the game? Nope. Define and figure out what is that you are looking to accomplish shooting video, devise a plan, and then initiate said plan. Best of luck to you my friend, looking forward to watching your first video. 

FD

Way to go Dale!  Jump in with both of those big hillbilly feet.

Just shoot the way you write and you will be a huge success...

Tip #1.  When you hitch the mule to wagon and go to town, talk to a teenager in the general store, tell him you are shooting long videos and you need a card thingy or two.  Tell him you want to be able to shoot in 4K/60, he will know what that means, and you don't want your camera to overheat.

Faster processing SD cards are more expensive, but, they will save you a lot of headache in the very near future, like next week near...

Tip #2.  Make some bad videos. That's the fastest way to make good video

Personally I can't wait to see what you do..

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

topdsm0138

My son has that Akaso 7000. Good little camera. If you live in a hotter climate, I have 2 suggestions though, 1) Put it under some shade if possible or 2) get an extra "waterproof" case and drill vent holes in it. His doesn't like the FL heat for more than an hour. It gets hot and shuts down till it cools off. (Only when using that waterproof case). Other than that, it records just as good a quality as my GoPro 5 does, but for 1/2 the price. Oh, I'd suggest a few spare batteries too. Good luck, another one here I can look forward to watching to pass the time over here.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Oldfart9999

Better you than me Dale, I've run out of patience with technology, I'd probably toss it to the fishes to play with. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on July 14, 2021, 05:55:11 AM
Better you than me Dale, I've run out of patience with technology, I'd probably toss it to the fishes to play with. lo
Rodney

I dig that. I've got some #8 Colorado blades that I could attach to one with a good ball bearing swivel. Maybe it would make it a Musky bait?

Roger the "bad videos" FG. THAT I can do. And "4K/60". Cool and great. Unless the kid at the Wal Mart is a bigger rube than me...

And topdsm0318- MO gets hot. Maybe not southern Florida hot, but temps in the 90's with 100% humidity are norm for us.

Thanks everyone. I was looking at some of the stuff I did three years ago and it was at least mildly entertaining, even to me. At least there were a lot of fish catches.

Dale

geneinnc

Check the specs on the memory cards Dale. Some electronics specify a certain max memory for some reason. Another reason i use Amazon.

Good luck on the videos!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bassinkorea

Quote from: geneinnc on July 14, 2021, 07:15:29 AM
Check the specs on the memory cards Dale. Some electronics specify a certain max memory for some reason. Another reason i use Amazon.

Good luck on the videos!

Gene is spot on here  ^^^
I bought some nice 128gb and 256gb micro SD cards and some of my cameras wouldn't accept them. I had to stick with 64gb for some and 128gb for others. Always a good idea to bring along several additional SD cards  :-*

D.W. Verts

32gb is what it said, so I bought the most expensive ones they sold.

I intended to a shoot some video today, but when I was setting the cameras up one of them said "charge battery", then shut off. I had charged the batteries (I ended up with seven of them). So I put another battery in it and it showed full charge, then went stupid on me and shut off again. So I went fishin' without the new cameras. The fish didn't seem to mind.

All of the batteries spent the afternoon back on the chargers. I'll mess with all of this tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have a camera issue- the other camera was on for several minutes with no problems.

I have my new channel up. I think I'll be posting my first videos by the weekend. We'll see.

Dale

Bassinkorea

Dale, if you have one of those mobile battery packs that folks use to make sure there cell phone batteries don't discharge (end of the world stuff), you can used them to keep the camera battery topped off for a few extra hours.

No Excuses

I've got the Jaws clamp from GoPro. Very versatile mount. Last time I fished I clamped it to the post of my rear seat where the camera would be in the shade under the seat.

I'm a talker. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, about dang near anything. Hardest thing in the world for me was looking at that little black camera and talking. Once you get used to it it's not bad. Can't wait to see your videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 14, 2021, 11:03:28 PM
Dale, if you have one of those mobile battery packs that folks use to make sure there cell phone batteries don't discharge (end of the world stuff), you can used them to keep the camera battery topped off for a few extra hours.

Eventually that's what I'll do, plus I'll probably buy a few more batteries. I want to make sure that these things will do what I want to start with. It's a progression. A work in progress. An epic battle.

I'm a talker also. Ask anyone who knows me, it's getting me to shut up that is the problem. But talking to a machine, by myself, on a lake or in the woods? Total Twilight Zone.

Dale

D.W. Verts

Almost every day something happens to make me feel stupider and stupider. I've just spent an hour and a half on this Wondershare site where I signed up for a video editing plan. And after all that time I can't figure out how to access the software.

One time it did show up on my screen (I recognized it for what it was because it looked a lot like my Virb editing software) but I wasn't ready for it and got rid of the screen. What a dummy.

I'll figure it out. Later. But all I get are commercials- I keep getting routed back to stuff I don't want, like I haven't already subscribed.

And now the power is out at our restaurant (lightning) and it's all frustrating. Technology I mean. Okay, I'm done. I think I'm gonna go fly a kite. Thunderstorms, remember?

Dale

coldfront

looking forward to the content DW.
your pain is our gain.'
;D

D.W. Verts

Okay. Nine at night, and I got it (the editing software) loaded up and running.

Editing is an art. I am not an artist. However, I've been cracking myself up for the last half hour or so looking at the videos that I've shot the last couple of days. I see a lot of hours and losing some sleep in learning to, and then editing these things.

Man, I hope ya'll dig them. Peace.

Dale

D.W. Verts

Over four hours editing. Learning to use the software. I hope it gets better. I'm tired. And I'm still ugly. Sigh.

Look it up. "Hickbilly Outoors" on YouTube (I'm not putting the link here because it's not a bass fishing video. You'll see).

It's not perfect but I'll learn it, I think. There's some mechanical issues to figure out. Technical stuff. I hope ya'll like it. But boy, am I pooped.

Peace.

Dale

Bassinkorea

I am officially your first subscriber  lo

The editing is very time consuming, but very rewarding. It's my favorite part of the video making process.

coldfront

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 16, 2021, 08:33:32 AM
Over four hours editing. Learning to use the software. I hope it gets better. I'm tired. And I'm still ugly. Sigh.

Look it up. "Hickbilly Outoors" on YouTube (I'm not putting the link here because it's not a bass fishing video. You'll see).

It's not perfect but I'll learn it, I think. There's some mechanical issues to figure out. Technical stuff. I hope ya'll like it. But boy, am I pooped.

Peace.

Dale
dale, you have to learn to understand the difference between ugly and authentic.
now, when I look at photos of you, I see a man that I appreciate and have grown to respect and kinda admire?
no one judges you harder than you.  take a break sometimes...
;)

D.W. Verts

I know the difference. I am authentically ugly. Yup.

Dale

geneinnc

Dale the first video was excellent. You being you works. That cropduster brought back bad memories. I was hunting peanut fields in Eastern NC. LOVE  aviation and had a blast watching,  UNTIL I started wheezing. I went to an irrigation pond to wash off but jumped a nest of water moccasins. I saw no deer and waiting on the guides, standing in the dark I heard hooves tearing up the ground. It was a spooked deer charging wide open. I was screaming at it but it never heard me. It missed me by a few feet. Poisoned, no deer and almost trampled by my prey!

Keep up the videos!